Char Kuey Teow http://rasamalaysia.com/all-i-wanted-for-dinner-tonight-were/
November 20th, 2007 36 Comments

Char Kuey Teow

Char Kuey Teow/Char Kway Teow (炒粿條)

A plate of hot-off-the-wok Penang Char Kuey Teow (fried flat noodles) with shrimp and cockles/bloody clams (circled), with a cup of Kopi-O (dark coffee).

For readers who are not familiar with Malaysian street food, Char Kuey Teow is one of the most popular street food in Malaysia. It’s also a much-recommended dish at Malaysian restaurants in the United States. To read more about the origin of this dish, please click here

If you wanted to learn more about the fabulous street food offered in Malaysia and their recipes, please check out my following posts:

1. An Insider’s Guide to Penang Hawker Food
  2. Penang Char Hor Fun
  3. Penang Hokkien Mee 1 and 2.
  4. Photoblog: Introducing Penang Hawkers

Now what is that one food that you constantly miss from your hometown?

Get RecipeClick here for Char Kuey Teow Recipe

You Might Also Like These Recipes Below:

1. spc says:

Har mee, assam laksa, roti chanai, nasi lemak (the cheap, simple type with only sambal and a little egg)…

2. Lydia says:

Oh, Penang hawker food….my favorite is mee goreng — I still get cravings even though it’s been 10 years since I last visited Penang.

3. Lucy Bites says:

My favorite Char Koay Teow stall is the one at the corner coffee shop along Burmah Rd, same row as Baskin Robbins. The uncle fry his CKT on charcoal fire and it tastes really good. I never fail to eat there everytime I go back to Penang.

4. mama bok says:

Mee siam..!

5. Danielle says:

This is going to sound weird, but I miss pho. I live in my hometown still (NYC), but my favorite pho place closed down a few years ago and I haven’t been able to find another great one yet.

6. YOYO Cooking says:

tasty~~

i wana eat it^^

7. veron says:

I don’t understand why the Philippines do not have more hawker food. Now I really want to visit Malaysia! Something tells me I’ll be in food heaven just eating from Penang hawkers.

8. Nags says:

lovely pic :) looks very appetising!

9. PrincessJournals says:

Girl, baru aje balik dah missing the food already? :P

10. Andaliman says:

ohhhh myyyy goshhh
    this one what we call kwetiau. Kopi-O is what we call Kopi tubruk
    all are mya favorite

11. mycookinghut says:

Definitely one of the dishes that I will not miss when I go to Penang!
    The one dish that I miss from my hometown, which I am going to write on my blog following the one that I posted on the 21/10/07. Check it out!

12. daphne says:

Ban Mian, prawn noodles, roti canai and YONG TOU FU! =)

just thinking about it makes me want to have some now. LOL.

13. Kevin says:

That looks really good!

14. Vicki says:

A Chicago-style hot dog. No, wait, I lived in the suburbs – a Portillo’s Italian beef sandwich with giardineira. Argh. I miss home.

15. christine says:

Just wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving, Bee! Thank you for bein such an inspiration ! :)

16. lucia says:

oohh!! i just had a plate of hot-off-the-wok char koay teow today during my office lunch hour. yummy!

yep char koay teow is indeed very popular in penang. in fact all those out of penang who came to penang will usually never miss trying penang’s char koay teow.

long live char koay teow!

17. Tummythoz says:

Kopi-O to go with ckt – signs of a true blue Penangite. =D

18. Tricia Lee-Chin says:

Har Mein, Or Chien, Char Kway Kak, Assam Laksa, Chu Chap Choke … aaahhh … to many to list!!!

19. Ming the Merciless says:

Happy Thanksgiving!

I rather have Penang Char Kuey Teow with cockles and shrimp OVER turkey ANYTIME.

20. Chasing-Rainbows says:

Teh tarik! Roti Bakar! Siu Mai! Har Kow! Char Siu! Siu Yok! Hokkien Mee! “Kong Foo Yin Yong”!

So many, I’ve lost count.

Ur photo make me feel HUNGRY!!!

21. "Joe" who is constantly craving says:

omg..i havent had this for ages..too high contents of fat n n n ..everything else!

best eaten with raw cockles..

22. MeiyeN says:

yummy!!! love “ckt” alot but can’t have it all da time cause it’s not good for health..

23. Nate 2.0 says:

hmm, I miss ahi limu poke – cubes of sashimi-grade tuna fish marinated in soy sauce and sesame oil, sprinkled with some chopped seaweed.

I miss Penang-style CKT as well, but Penang’s not my hometown.

24. bsg 3 says:

so lucky you can cook all this and more …tho only 1 will be more lucky heha

25. bayi says:

Wow! See hum! :)

26. wie says:

Oyster omelette (o-cien) sold at Newton Circus food court in Singapore. Hokkien char kway teow is also pretty up there.

My all time favorite dish is Hainanese Chicken Rice but this one is much easier to make. I think this dish is different from one restaurant to another or from one family to another. I love my mom’s the best (of course!) but recently I had managed to learn how to make it according to my likings. =D

27. cocoa says:

Just return from Malaysia but still miss all the hawker food… never had enough of them… I want more char Kuey Teow !

28. Su Nam says:

Oh yeah! Char koay teow! I’m from Penang and now living in KL. Can’t find a decent plate here, much less charcoal-fried. Any idea where to find good CKT in KL?

CKT, cendol, hokkien mee (THE penang prawn mee), chee cheong fun, mee goreng mamak, oh cien, laksa (both Assam and Thai)… Oh God… my stomach’s rumbling…

Everytime in Penang, I’d just drop my bags, eat like a hungry ghost THEN visit my Dad! Explains why I’d gain nearly 2kgs when I come back to KL!

29. Cynthia's Blog says:

Hokkien Mee also can!

30. Alison says:

would you please post an authentic recipe for the char kway teow?

Thanks so much! I love your recipes!

31. Becky says:

Please post the recipe to this dish! It looks so good!

32. Ken says:

When you made Char Kwe Teow at home, any tips on how you make those nice burn/smokey flavor?

33. Pingback:Nyonya Egg Basket | Nyonya Food & Recipes

34. Looks so great, post the recipes please…