Banh Mi with Lemongrass Pork http://rasamalaysia.com/banh-mi-recipe/
June 05th, 2012 26 Comments

Banh Mi with Lemongrass Pork

Banh Mi with Lemongrass Pork
Banh Mi with Lemongrass Pork pictures (1 of 3)

I miss the breakfast breads in Vietnam during my travels, specifically Vietnamese-style baguettes (bánh mì). Here in the States, whenever I need my bánh mì fix, it’s a fifteen minutes drive to Little Saigon. Most of the time, there’s a line, so it takes even longer to get my fix. That’s why I decided to make it at home.

Bánh mì, which is the Vietnamese term for “bread,” is actually the baguette that is used to make the popular Vietnamese sandwich. It’s found in places with a concentrated Vietnamese population, from France, Canada, United Kingdom to the United States. This popular Vietnamese-style sandwich can be easily found in most restaurants or Vietnamese-owned sandwich shops, and there are a variety of meat choices—from steamed, pan-fried, to grilled options (Thit Nuong, being my all time personal favorite).

Banh Mi with Lemongrass Pork

This fresh Vietnamese baguette roll with golden crust is exceedingly crispy and crunchy. As for the Thịt Nướng (grilled meat), I used the intensely flavorful grilled lemongrass pork that was slightly on the fatty side so it turned out nice and tender with charred aromas. Spread the baguette with some mayo or butter and fresh cilantro, jalapeno slices and most importantly, the pickled carrots and daikon, you’re on your way to a very substantial meal. This is another great summer recipe to try as the aromas of the grilled lemongrass pork beckons from afar.

Out of all the bánh mì varieties, my personal favorite is Bánh Mì Thit Nuong with grilled lemongrass pork. What’s yours?

Click Page 2 for the Banh Mi with Lemongrass Pork Recipe

1. daphne says:

I’m loving this marinade! Indeed a great looking humble sandwich!

2. sara says:

Wonderful! This sandwich looks super delicious – love the caramelization on the pork! :)

3. Jim Washburn says:

I always get the one with pâté and head cheese. Sure wish I could make that bread at home. It’s 80 miles to the nearest Vietnamese market.

4. Eddie Hoos via Facebook says:

I make a version with mortadella….yes, but it’s really good!

5. The secret of banh mi is the baguette… Must be light and crunchy

6. Evi Yanty via Facebook says:

My fav is bahn mi thit nuong too.

7. Huong-Hung Nguyen Thanks for the correction, fixed. Vietnamese language is tough!

8. Louis says:

This sandwich look fantastic,bravo!the presentation on a wooden plate is well thought and blend well with the bread of the sandwich… very enticing, toutes mes félicitations!

9. Richelle Bremner via Facebook says:

Simply delicious… YUM, thank you :-)

10. Et says:

can u pls advise what is sweet soy sauce. thks

11. Victoria says:

This sandwich looks amazingly delicious! And I’m not normally a sandwich person. But this one I would devour!

12. I’ve seen and heard how this is a very special sandwich to the people of Vietnam. I am an ardent lover of cajun po-boys (another type of sandwich) being from Louisiana. I totally ‘get’ this yearning and craving for a delicious sandwich combination like this. I would love to try one out someday. There must be a place somewhere in this huge city of Houston.

13. Et says:

I have sweet sauce used for frying char kway teow. Is this the same as sweet soya sauce. thanks

• Rasa Malaysia says:

Look for the label ‘Sweet Soy Sauce’ or ‘Kecap Manis’. Its not the dark soy sauce that is usually used for Char Kway Teow.

14. Rosie says:

We recently came back from a trip to Cambodia where they sell banh mi sandwiches on carts along the streets during the day. They have a almost clear yellowish spread that they use in the sandwich and as a dip. It is sooooo good. I just wanted to share it with all of you.

It is basically yellow mayonaise with the egg yolk instead of the egg whites. Just crack two or three eggs, separating the yolk and discard the whites(or keep it to make something else). I use a handheld whisk on low speed. Add about one cup of oil to one and a half cup (used canola oil) and mix for about four to six minutes. You will see it becoming thick and then turn a bit translucent. Add about one table spoon of sugar and mix it a bit more. Then scoop it up in a container and put it in the fridge until you are ready to use it on your sandwiches. You can add more sugar or oil adjusting it to your taste. In Cambodia, they use more oil and less egg because egg was more expensive then oil. The husband loves this stuff and even uses it on his tuna sandwich or in place of mayo. I hope you will try it and like it also. Best wishes.

15. banh mi me, please!!! i can’t believe when i was in vietnam i never had one, but i’ve had a few in socal that have been amazing.

16. Joy says:

Hi, I’ve been following your website for awhile and finally got round to trying one of your recipes. (I have 2 young kids so it isn’t always easy to cook) Tried this recipe and my whole family LOVED it!!! It was so simple and absolutely delicious. We polished the whole lot off! Thanks so much for sharing this. I’m definitely looking forward to trying out more of your recipes. :)

17. Amanda says:

I was very excited to make this (I love buying banh mi and wanted to try my hand at it) and I finally got everything together today. I bought a grill basket to cook the meat in so it would be easier and not fall through my grill. It worked great, and tasted fantastic! We ate 1/4 of the meat before it even made it to the sandwiches. Thanks for this great recipe! I can’t wait to make some of the others on here.

18. Arch says:

I make this a lot and it’s a wonderful recipe! Thank you so much for sharing this with us !!!

19. I love this! Jason and I just bought $3 banh mi but they totally skimped on the meat – definitely need to make it at home and stuff the goodies!

20. Chantelle says:

I am a huggggge fan of banh-mi sandwiches and when i found this recipe…I had to try it! I followed the recipe exactly and even pickled the carrots. When the pork was broiling, my home smelled like heaven. When I finally had the chance to build the banh-mi with as much pork, cilantro and jalepenos as I wanted, I just closed my eyes and smiled. Thank you for sharing! I absolutely love te recipes on this website.

21. zymurgy says:

I logged in properly, but the printed recipe is in an unreadable text, even though the print sample on screen is good. What happened? I never had trouble before.