Black Sesame Dumplings (Tang Yuan) http://rasamalaysia.com/black-sesame-dumplings-tang-yuan/
October 05th, 2011 118 Comments

Black Sesame Dumplings (Tang Yuan)

Black Sesame Dumplings (Tang Yuan)
Black Sesame Dumplings (Tang Yuan) pictures (3 of 7)

I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, except for a few desserts. One of the Chinese desserts I absolutely love is tang yuan (汤圆) or sweet dumplings filled with black sesame paste or ground peanuts. I am especially partial to black sesame dumplings or 芝蔴汤圆. They are absolutely decadent, with intensely flavorful, sinful rich, and aromatic black sesame filling oozing out of the dumplings, as pictured above.

Black sesame dumplings can be served with plain hot water or with ginger syrup (姜茶). Either way works fine for me, but during colder days, nothing feels quite as invigorating as having a bowl of black sesame dumplings steeped in ginger syrup. Ginger has many health benefits and warms up a cold body like no other…

I used both screwpine “pandan” leaves and dried sweet osmanthus (桂花) for my black sesame dumplings. They impart very subtle and delicate fragrances into the ginger syrup and smell wonderful!

Here is my black sesame dumplings recipe. I will warn you that it takes some patience to make them, but the end results will be well-worth the efforts.

Click Page 2 for the Black Sesame Dumplings (Tang Yuan) Recipe

1. Fern says:

These are my absolute favourite! Are the uncooked ones suitable for freezing?

2. Dror says:

amazing! never made something like this before.

3. Clarissa says:

I LOVE tang yuan, especially the black sesame ones, but I always buy them frozen. I may have to try this recipe for the holidays, thanks for sharing!

4. Yum… my favorite! I have to start making these on my own. Bummer about Alvin. Saw the jpgs. Straight out plagarism. Moving forward, let’s chalk it up to that old familiar saying, “Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery,” although this situation is quite different. That said… you have the delicious original and I need to try out this RECIPE!!! xo

5. SparklingRachel says:

omg…I was just craving this because it has been so cold and rainy lately. Thank you!!!!

6. Trish C. says:

I can’t wait to try this out! Previous recipes I’ve seen use premade sesame seed paste, but this “from scratch” recipe definitely looks manageable.

7. Nurm says:

So sorry to hear about someone else taking this recipe from you without giving you credit. WRT tang yuan, I decided 4 years ago that I wouldn’t make anything containing mochi flour, cos it is just sticky and messy, but I am tempted to give mochi flour a fair go…

8. Pingback:Black and White Glutinous Rice Flour « Crustabakes

9. mmm this was one of my favorite things to eat growing up! i loved it when my mom made it :) can’t wait to try this for myself!! <3

10. vivienne g. says:

Am making it right now , and it already smells so good. Can’t wait to make the rice flour. Was wondering if I was to use the red bean paste filling, any tips on the fillings? Can the uncooked ones be frozen? Thanking you in advance

11. Pingback:Chinese Indonesian food and some thoughts on authenticity « The Plaid Bag Connection

12. jojo says:

hi, i want to make this dumpling this weekend, but not sure if I can make it a night in advance (use it for the following afternoon). Please advise. Thank you so much in advance.

13. Elaine says:

I tried this recipe,but after it has been folded into the gluttonous rice, the sesame filling came out hard or how should say it…not watery or pasty, and chewy.yes, the sesame paste is chewy.can u hel me out here.what did I do wrong.

14. jess says:

Can I use peanut butter instead of the unsalted butter? If so how much do you think I should use? Thanks!!!

15. your recipes are sooo helpful! have you ever tried a combo of sticky rice flour and rice flour- for these? another web blog, of the fatty reader suggested that-

Glutinous Rice Balls/Tangyuan (湯圓)

1/2 cup sweet rice flour + 1/2 cup regular rice flour
    Hot water
    1 tbsp granulated sugar (optional)

filling- black sesame powder plus maple syrup
    or sweetened black bean paste
    Bring a pot of water to a boil. Combine the sweet rice flour, rice flour, and sugar in a bowl. Add hot water a tablespoon at a time, mixing with chopsticks, until the dough is not sticky but also not dry. It should be moist to the touch, without being sticky. If you accidentally add too much water, just add more of the rice flour and sweet rice flour, in equal parts.

16. Tina says:

Hi there!

when I asked my mom if we had rice flour in the house she said yes, but that there are two types. Which one would I need if I’m buying it at the store? Neither of the packages differentiate between the different kinds of rice flour, so if you could make any clarifications on this detail that would be greatly appreciated!

17. Tina says:

Hi Bee!
    One last question, would you ever recommend black sesame powder as a substitute for toasting then grinding the seeds if in a hurry/time crunch or just out of pure convenience?

18. laura2 says:

I made these yesterday and they were delicious! I have leftover black sesame filling. Can I use the filling to make black sesame soup? Any ideas? Do I just add water? Thanks!

19. Serenity says:

Hi Bee,,
    Your recipe has 8 oz. glutinous rice flour. do u mean 8oz in volume (same as 1 cup) or in weight?

20. Jessica says:

how much does this recipe yield?

21. Pingback:元宵节 Lantern Festival | Tanya's Stories