Chicken Biryani http://rasamalaysia.com/chicken-biryani-recipe/
January 16th, 2011 35 Comments

Chicken Biryani

Chicken Biryani
Chicken Biryani pictures (3 of 3)

I’ve been stalking Fork Spoon Knife for a while—a gorgeous food blog authored by Asha which is full of beautiful food photography and excellent recipes. Hailed from India and currently resides in New York City, Asha is pampered by two generations of talented cooks in the family. As such, Asha has a discerning palate and love to cook and entertain friends and family. Please welcome Fork Spoon Knife with her South Indian Chicken Biryani recipe, one of the most requested Indian recipes on Rasa Malaysia. Enjoy!

Biryani is typically a special occasion dish, for many reasons. This dish is particularly known for its many layers of flavors that slowly develop and meld together. So, it’s a multi step process that requires much love in many installments over a long cooking time. Also, those flavors and the aromas from the dish come from a blend of spices that are typically not used in everyday cooking and are pricier, hence adding to the special feel…

The concept of the Biryani came from Persians. When the Mughals conquered Northern India, they introduced much of their cuisine to the populace. As their rule spread further South, most Indian were exposed to the delicacy and it took a firm place in every Indian’s heart. And, then, every region of the country adopted the dish as its own and lent a distintive flavor and taste to it by modifying the ingredients as also the method based on the indigenous cuisine.

Over time, a distintive difference developed between the Biryani as it is served in North India (that is only a slightly modified version of the Persian original) and that in the South, especially, Keral and Tamil Nadu, which, has been significantly modified to suit the Southern Palate. Particularly, in the South, the meat is cooked in a coconut infused curry and the rice and curry are mixed rather than layered, as is typical with the Persian version.

The good thing about the Biryani is that the components can be made ahead and it tastes even better the next day as the flavors have more time to develop.

Click Page 2 for the Chicken Biryani Recipe

1. Julie says:

So happy to see the chicken biryani recipe here. I love it, have been searching for a good recipe. Going to make it.

2. Ju says:

Yay, Asha! That is one beautiful biryani, and the onsen egg is an unusual, classy touch.

3. Fanie Phiri says:

My wife prepared Chicken for the first time yesterday and I must tell she is a natural,it was like she has done over and over.OOh I love byrani and curry.

4. daphne says:

and what gorgeous eye-nicely done as well and photograph. I miss a good chicken briyani and glad i can use this to help me create a similar dish in the kitchen.

5. Trissa says:

So happy to see Chicken Biryani. I have always been mystified about this dish. It’s so gorgeous I assumed it was hard to make. Glad to know you can make this dish ahead of time!

6. Kiran says:

This looks yum! I make a lot of briyani at home too, and I know that it’s a tedious process of cooking. But so worth it with different layers of flavors :)

7. Shirley says:

Where can I get ghee? What is a good substitute if I can’t find it. Love chicken biryani and can’t seem to find it where I am.

• Kiran says:

Ghee is actually clarified butter. You can either google the recipe or simply find it in your local Indian grocery store. Example of brands are Amul, Nank, Swad, Laxmi etc.. Good luck :)

• Danny says:

It is best if you make your own ghee.

Tips & Warnings

Store the ghee in an air tight container in a dry location. Ghee does not need to be stored in the refrigerator and can last for about a month.
      Be careful not to rush this because butter can burn very easily and the more patient you are the better the results will be.

Read more: How to make Ghee at home | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4890816_ghee-home.html#ixzz1BNGl5CYj

• Kiran says:

Get regular butter 1kg, cook in pot on medium heat till it liquifies and becomes glassy, reduce heat and add 100ml cold water, this helps make ghee separation easy. Some debris forms at bottom, you may filter this out, and allow to cool. this will cool down as ghee! 15-20 mins perp time.
      PS. DO NOT USE HIGH HEAT

8. Asha@FSK says:

Hey Shirley, You can find ghee in any Indian store, or better yet make it easily at home. It’s clarified butter. So, it’s just brown butter strained off the brown bits.

• Danny says:

Yes.. I make it this way. as in my country you cant get good ghee.
      See the details here :http://www.ehow.com/how_4890816_ghee-home.html
      Brown the unsalted butter in med-high heat.

Let the butter melt and come to a boil. This should take about 2-3 minutes. Once the butter comes to a boil reduce the heat as so you do not burning it.

The butter will form a white foam on top which will disappear. Keep the heat going and a second foam will appear and the butter will be golden brown, that is when ghee will be done. This process should take about 7-8 minutes.

Brown milk solids will be on the bottom of the sauce pan. Finally just poor the ghee into a heat proof container using a mesh strainer or cheese cloth to catch the milk solids

9. Siewloon says:

Thanks Asha. Going to make it today…..

10. Glad I found this website through Asha’s. So many delicious Asian recipes :)

11. This looks so delicious. I just saw the briyani recipe from mylittlespace and now here. It’s a sign, I think I need to make briyani to satisfy my craving soon. I’m drooling….great looking photo and recipe.

12. Sensatiom says:

Looks so scrumptuous!My Irish husband loves Indian food and this recipe will go very well with him and friends as we entertain a lot.Can I substitute ghee with something else?I dont think I can get ghee easily in the Middle East.

13. THis is my fave basmati rice dish! I learned it from my husband’s grandma who’s Indian. I, too, have noticed that this is the only dish that contains hard-cook in Indian cuisine. WHy is that?

14. penawar penyakit says:

wow! yummy. remind me of ‘nasi ganja’ aka nasi kandar which is popular in Perlis. Is there any recipe for that? I crave for that. *hungry stomach

When I saw the lime wedges, I immediately thought of the Dum Biryani I have tried. Your dish looks so delicious.

16. Avocado says:

chicken biryani is one of my favorite dish.I really happy to see the recipe here. It’s look yummy.

17. Soma says:

I have never made Biryani South Indian way, with coconut milk. Thanks for the recipe.

18. Aum Surmielah says:

cilantro is what? thanks for the recepy i wil make sure to try do it yummy!

19. Lina says:

(Meanwhile, prepare the rice. Roast the whole spices in ghee and the saute the onions in the same.)can you explain this part to me? roast the whole spices in ghee and the saute the onions in the same what??? pan or roasting pan??

20. Lin says:

Where is the 5 1/2 cups of water used in the rice recipe? Is this poured over the raw rice along with the curry before baking?

21. Tani says:

I love biryani .every sunday i make biryani to my father

22. Tani says:

Biryani yahoo yammi what a taste it is it is the king of all dishes

23. julia says:

Hey…. come to india, come to lucknow eat biryani with biryani inn home delivery lucknow, its tasty non greasy yet mild spicy biryani which will leave its taste in your mouth for long.
    Julian Taxi

24. Noah Coburn says:

I’ve made this twice now. The first time I followed the recipe as stated, except I reduced the mint to about half of what it called for, as it just seemed like way too much. It still ended up tasting of nothing but mint.

The second time (today), I left out the mint entirely, and it’s delicious! I also just used butter instead of ghee (too lazy to make ghee today).

So I would definitely recommend this recipe, but leave out the mint!

25. Angelica Woolley says:

Hi Bee,

I made this dish yesterday and it turned out beautifully like many of your recipes :) I was wondering, if I wanted to increase the heat of this dish (spiciness), what would you recommend I add to the recipe?