Cashew Chicken Recipe (腰果鸡丁) http://rasamalaysia.com/chinese-food-recipe-cashew-chicken/
August 09th, 2008 254 Comments

Cashew Chicken Recipe (腰果鸡丁)

Chinese Recipe: Cashew Chicken
Chinese Recipe: Cashew Chicken pictures (2 of 4)

(Popular and All-Time Favorite Chinese recipesBroccoli Beef, Sweet and Sour Pork, Egg Drop Soup, Kung Pao Chicken, Chow Mein, Fried Rice, Orange Chicken, Mongolian Beef, and more.)

To celebrate the Beijing Olympics, I am going to share some of the most popular Chinese recipes with you in the next two weeks.

While Chinese recipes are often featured here on Rasa Malaysia, I mostly share my favorite Chinese dishes—meaning those that I enjoy eating—with my readers. A simple Google search of the most popular Chinese food in the United States returns the following results:

1. Broccoli Beef
  2. Sweet and Sour Pork
  3. Cashew Chicken
  4. Crab Rangoon
  5. Egg Drop Soup
  6. Moo Goo Gai Pan
  7. Chow Mein
  8. Fried Rice
  9. Kung Pao Chicken
  10. Egg Roll

As a Chinese, I have to say that this is not the most interesting list. In fact, some of the dishes are not even real Chinese, for example: Moo Goo Gai Pan. (Most of the dishes on the list are American-Chinese food, made popular by the Chinese restaurants in the United States. They are what general Americans know as Chinese food.)

Chinese cuisine—when done right—is pleasing, subtle, delicate, satisfying, and a great treat to the taste buds. However, most Chinese restaurants in the United States have pretty much butchered Chinese food and turned one of the greatest cuisines in the world into something vaguely recognizable—gooey, starchy, sticky, greasy, and downright unappetizing—one that is certain to leave a bad taste in the mouth of many diners.

Cashew Chicken(腰果鸡丁)

Since most of my readers are Americans, I thought I would share with you the correct way of making these popular dishes. Today, I teach you the proper way of making Cashew Chicken—a very popular eat-in and take-out dish at Chinese restaurants in the United States.

The key to a great Chinese stir-fried chicken dish is simple: smooth and tender chicken meat lightly coated with a sauce, stir-fried over HIGH heat using a wok to achieve the breath of wok. To get the breath of wok, you can buy the cookbook here and learn the techniques. To make the chicken tender, I am going to share with you a secret–one that is used by many restaurants and Chinese chefs—BAKING SODA.

Baking soda serves two purposes:

1. to rid the chicken of any potential smell (I am sure you have had bad experiences eating chicken with a foul chicken-y odor,
  2. to tenderize the meat. Just by looking at my pictures, you can tell that those chicken breast cubes are silky and tender. For the detailed instructions, please follow my Cashew Chicken recipe below.

SECRET TECHNIQUE: BAKING SODA is the secret weapon to make any meat—chicken, beef, pork–tender.

Anyway, once you try out my Cashew Chicken recipe, I am sure you will never go back to the gooey, sticky, starchy Cashew Chicken from your neighborhood Chinese joints again, and you will again enjoy authentic Chinese recipes.

CHINESE RECIPES: POPULAR & ALL-TIME FAVORITES

Chow Mein Broccoli Beef Sweet and Sour Pork Egg Drop Soup
Chow Mein Broccoli Beef Sweet and Sour Pork Egg Drop Soup
Kung Pao Chicken Cashew Chicken Fried Rice Orange Chicken
Kung Pao Chicken Cashew Chicken Fried Rice Orange Chicken
Crab Rangoon Mongolian Beef
Crab Rangoon Mongolian Beef
Click Page 2 for the Cashew Chicken Recipe (腰果鸡丁) Recipe

1. Tak says:

I made this for my birthday party last night, tripled everything on the recipe. It didn’t receive bad reviews from my friends, but I wouldn’t call it a hit, either. They said the chicken was too pale it looked like tofu. And for a meat-loving bunch, I guess that greatly affected their impression about the dish. Although for me it was great. And very easy to make. (I added broccoli, though)

2. springsblue says:

I made this today and it was a hit! I love your tip on using baking soda to make the chicken tender! Your recipes never disappoint! Thanks!

3. Ms_Sheri says:

I made this tonight for dinner, it was fabulous!! I can’t wait to try more of your recipes.

4. gerald says:

i like all your recipes.

5. hanna says:

Hi…I truly love all your recipes. My husband and I noth enjoy our time together in the kitchen with your recipes as reference :) thank you so much for your passion and sharing it with us!

1 small question, what I can replace the rice wine with? Can I use rice vinegar instead? Will my chicken still be silky and tender?

6. Azusa says:

Hands down the best chicken cashew recipe ever, it taste like restaurant quality and its so easy to make. I haven’t had a failed recipe from your site yet, awesome!

7. Christine says:

Hi Rasa – Do you have suggestions for making this recipe with ‘extra sauce’ – like almost a gravy with this? My husband likes his Cashew chicken with lots of ‘sauce’ because he likes it mixed with the rice.

8. IrisMay says:

I made this and it was just great. Definately a keeper. I used thigh filets as I don’t like breast. I also used the soda but as I don’t think chickens need to be tenderised I wont bother in future.

9. Annie says:

Hi Bee, I think you should open a restaurant , your recipes and the pictures you posted never fail to wet my appetite.
    Thanks a lot.

Cheers from Penang.

10. Susan Andrews says:

I looked through this whole page. Where is the recipe?

11. Gary says:

I LOVE your website and your recipes. Thank you so much.

I have made the Cashew Chicken and think it’s great. I do have a question though. I am going to cook it at a gathering where it will be difficult to marinate, then rinse. Can I do that ahead of time, rinse it, then freeze it for later thawing? I would do the pepper, onions, and ginger slices that way also.

Thank you again for what you do.

12. Ms s says:

where are the recipes,or do i have to log in to be able to view them?

• Rasa Malaysia says:

You can view the recipe by clicking to pg.2, on the below the CHINESE RECIPES: POPULAR & ALL-TIME FAVORITES pictures. Only when you want to print the recipe, you may log in.

13. Steven says:

Ok, so after re-reading everything (including all the comments), I think I have this figured out.

1) Sprinkle the chicken with ONLY baking soda. Wait 15 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
    2)Mix the corn starch with rice wine and marinate the chicken in this for 15 minutes.
    3) Make the sauce
    4) Stir fry the chicken halfway and set aside.
    5) Stir fry the peppers, onions, and ginger.
    6) Add the chicken back to the mix, along with the sauce.
    7) Add the cashews, and a little salt. Give it a quick stir fry to mix everything up.
    8) Serve over rice.

14. Bernadene Whitten says:

I made this for my husband’s birthday dinner, he took two helpings which is very unusual. The only thing I was missing was the oyster sauce, I used fish sauce instead, but it wasn’t the same, this definately needs the oyster sauce. Thank you for another great recipe. Oh and by the way, since using your recipes I have lost 10 pounds in two weeks.

15. telesma says:

I love this recipe. I usually quadruple it, to feed a family of 4. To spice it up a bit, I add a touch of chili-garlic sauce (huy fong) to the sauce, or a squirt of sriracha, or I replace the sugar with Thai chili sauce, but no other modifications. And I use the baking soda trick for other things now. This is one of the best Chinese restaurant style recipes I’ve ever tried, thank you for posting it.

16. Priska says:

can i use baking powder instead of baking soda?

17. Pingback:Cashew Chicken « Just the Tip

18. Cheekymonkey says:

Wonderful recipe. Would I literally quadruple the ingredients if using 4 chicken breasts? Also, is it possible to prepare the sauce in advance? Thank you for a delicious recipe!

19. Leslie says:

Fantastic and very healthy, thank you.

20. Barry Clompus says:

The picture of the Cashew Chicken looks beautiful.

The tips are appreciated.

This might sound like a joke, but I promise you, I am serious;
    Where is the recipe.

I scroll up and down and click on every picture/word of cashew chicken

and never get led to a recipe.

Can you help?

Barry Clompus

21. TheMoon says:

I am a big fan of your website but didn’t know you had published a cashew chicken recipe. When I wanted to make it for the first time, I googled it and found that you had one already! I was so happy! I tried it the same day and it turned out great. It even made me like green bell peppers!! The meat was really tender, thanks again for the baking soda tip, but next time I think I’ll let it brown a little so it’s not too white.

22. Ann says:

Please oh please would you attach an email link to your recipes. To subscribe, you have the email link. I am not on Utube or tweeter so I end up writing the recipes by hand.
    Love your recipes. Now, I want to love your website.
    Ann

23. Elias Z. says:

Wow, first time for me in the kitchen! your recipe was my first attempt at cooking and the dish literally turned heads!!!!! I had my friend over and he licked the bowl clean ! thank you so much, i think i’m gonna cook for myself more often from now on :)

24. Francis says:

Replaced rice wine with apple juice. Cashew not as crunchy. Should I roast the nuts first?
    First time cook.

• Apple juice is not a rice wine replacement. You can skip the rice wine if you don’t have it. You should get roasted cashew nuts and add them the last.

• telesma says:

I stir-fry the cashews for a bit at the end of stir-frying the onions & peppers. It toasts them, makes them a crunchier. You can do them in a dry skillet before hand as well.

25. Ellie says:

Pretty good flavor. It’s not exactly what I’m used to though. The recipe is definitely better than that gross greasy Americanized available to me now but growing up in Japan I’m used to a thicker darker sauce. Still yummy, I think I just like Japanese style Chinese food lol.

26. Monica says:

How many people is this recipe for? I want to make it for 15 people what quantities should I use? Thanks

27. Spring soup recipes says:

Hello! Rasa Malaysia, you do the dishes and one as beautiful.

28. Terry White says:

How many people does this serve?
    Thankyou.

29. jlagueux says:

This was, by far, the best cashew chicken I have ever made or ever had. So light and fresh. The baking soda works like a charm at tenderizing the chicken.

30. omaom68 says:

Wonderfull tip using baking soda to tenderize chicken but what about other meats? Please specify.

31. Pingback:Alfredo, Cashew Chicken and Cookies « Leonardson Family

32. It’s an amazing paragraph in support of all the online viewers; they will obtain benefit from it I am sure.

33. VLizzle says:

This was so delicious! I couldn’t believe how tender the chicken was. I made it “as is”, except I doubled the sauce. Two great sized servings over white rice. I can’t wait to experiment with this recipe.

34. Made this last night and the meat really was tender! I stir fried this in my clay pot and turned out great.

Was wondering, why was it necessary to rinse off the baking soda?

35. Christine says:

For this recipe, can I substitute rice wine with distilled vinegar?

36. Christine says:

Can I substitute Rice wine with chicken or beef broth?

37. Ryan Harris says:

If I use ground ginger, how much would be the equivelant of your 5 slices of ginger?

38. Donna says:

Can I replace the oyster sauce with anything? Or it wont taste the same without it?

39. nelliko says:

I have had g his dish in the north of china, and your recipe looks very authentic, I will be giving it a go in the next few days. I agree with you that the chinese food outside china is not half as tasty. I might be making jiaozi too for easter, thanks for sharing with us.

40. hazel says:

looks like a garnish of spring onions over top, but I don’t see them in the recipe.?

Also, is there a ‘nutrition’ list for this recipe? I have to limit sodium, so prefer recipes which include this.

41. hmm says:

there was a comment on here a couple days ago about using baking soda and the guy also told you how to do it, using his own recipe. why did you remove the comment, it was very helpful

42. Nadia says:

Sorry if this is a silly question, is the white pepper necessary? Is there something else I could replace it with (black pepper?)

43. Pingback:Cashew Chicken | rheabooneop3

44. sue says:

Ok, so I don’t own a wok… can I make this in a frying pan? Or I have a clay pot that I can bake in.. Please advise!!! Thank you!

45. manju says:

hi do we need to fry the cashew ?

46. Randy says:

Are the cashews raw or roasted? THANKS!!!

47. Randy says:

Sorry, let me ask it this way… Do you start with raw or cooked cashews? THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

48. Randy says:

Sorry, I just read the your comment that told us to use roasted cashews not raw. Thanks!

Manju, Just in case you don’t get an answer soon, I would say that yes you should stir-fry the cashews, but that as I said is just my opinion.

49. Kay says:

My husband and I just finished making this wonderful dish exactly as the recipe called for ( I tripled the sauce) including the baking soda marinade/rinse and it was the most delicious/moist cashew chicken I have ever eaten!!! Thanks for a great recipe that we will be making again!!

50. Pingback:Hello. And Cashew Chicken. | tekflower