Chives Omelet (韭菜煎蛋) http://rasamalaysia.com/chives-omelet/
August 16th, 2010 32 Comments

Chives Omelet (韭菜煎蛋)

Chives Omelet
Chives Omelet pictures (2 of 4)

This past couple of weeks, I have been so busy working with my recipe testers, testing all the recipes on my cookbook. I am just so thankful that so many readers and fans are so keen to help me. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your dedication and support. I truly appreciate it. For those volunteers who didn’t get selected to participate, I sincerely apologize. Hopefully we will get to work together on my next cookbook (when there is one) and other upcoming projects.

One of the ingredients that I bought for the recipe testing is Chinese chives, or garlic chives (韭菜). If you have cooked with Chinese chives, you will know that they come in a bundle at the stores, which means that you’re bound to have a bunch of leftover. That was exactly what happened to me after the recipe testing; I was left with a huge bunch of chives in the fridge. A good way to use up Chinese chives or garlic chives is to make chives omelet—a simple recipe that makes good use of the leftover ingredient, plus it’s so fast to prepare…

Here is my chives omelet recipe. If you have leftover chives in your fridge, do try out this recipe. I think you will like it because the taste of the omelet is pleasing, with the aromatic note of the chives.

Click Page 2 for the Chives Omelet (韭菜煎蛋) Recipe

1. Wow! fish sauce in an omelet. That sounds yum!

• NR says:

Fish sauce in an omelet is the only way to go. All the tasty omelets you get in Thailand (some similar to this one) have fish sauce in them. I put fish sauce on my fried eggs I have for breakfast with toast. It stinks a bit but ooooh soooooh goooood…!

2. Just gimme that and a bowl of plain white porridge, please! I, too, have a lot of chives leftover. And I agree, this is a good way to use them up!

3. in says:

Ooh one of my favourite dishes when I was a kid! Instead of chives, we used chopped long beans or french beans. Eat it with rice and maggi chilli sauce. Delicious!

I bought a bunch of these recently too. Other than cook with eggs, I cook them with tofu – also another 小菜 for porridge! And I found out that roasting them with tofu works too esp. when I am too lazy to turn on the stove and cook.

5. Bee, my mom used to make us Malaysian omelet and looked just like this! Brings back delicious memories, thanks. Also great for breakfast with whole grain toast.

6. How I wish I have some chives now!

7. Priscilla says:

Hey Bee! Awesome! I have always wondered what to do with leftover chives. Will definitely try this recipe the next time I use chives! Oh Chives are very good with fried tofu too!!!

8. One of the staples in my household! We even do Chives Pancakes in the mornings. Mum loves chives that much. Hehe.

9. My husband eats scrambled eggs every morning, this is a good idea to add chives to the omelet – thanks for the recipe :)!

10. I’m an omelet lover and yours sounds so yum yum and simple. Gonna try it :D

11. this is so yummy…I like the sesame oil and fish sauce in it!

12. I agree this is fast and yummy. Infact, i discovered that it is very easy to grow Chives here in USA. A friend gave me some and they are nicely growing in my garden now. Can’t wait to eat them.

13. i miss this simple dish a lot. i remember when I use to live at home – my mom will make these for us!!

nice to meet you – my name is jen and i love exploring different bloggers food blog :)

have a nice day!
    jen @ http://www.passion4food.ca

14. Alta says:

I should remember never to visit your blog when I’m hungry! Even something simple like this looks so tasty and tempting!

15. wmw says:

Ahh…pick the right time to drop by. Me love ‘em chives and eggs!

16. Betty says:

Wow, I wil try this recipe soon.

17. J2Kfm says:

Call me old school, Bee … but I am a sucker for chives! Yeah, and last time mum used to fry them in a dough (cucur-like) with lots of shrimps.
    Dipped into the garlic chili sauce … heavenly.

18. Patricia Mack says:

Chives omelet is my favourite comfort food…. no need rice or porridge, just plain chive omelet is enough to satisfy me !!!

19. OMG!! This is my favorite omelet. When I see nice chives in the market, I can never resist buying them to make omelet. However, I did add sesame oil, fish sauce and oyster sauce..I only season with salt and white pepper. I must try your recipe the next time I get some chives. This dish may look simple but not that simple to get it right.

20. Ann says:

Great and simple recipe! Could you please recommend which brand fish sauce and oyster sauce are good to buy? I’m currently in Penang :)

Thanks so much!

21. Yay! We had lots of leftover chives after an early Chinese New Year feast/celebration. I just made the omelet this morning. It was such an easy & quick breakfast!

22. Pingback:16th & 17th week of cooking « A fulfilled life

23. Yun says:

Oh I love chives. I love its pungent smell. I cooked this with minced meat at one of my dinner party and one of my friends asked for takeaway. Yummmm…. :D

24. AllaM says:

I am sorry for silly question, but tsp – is it teaspoon or tablespoon? I love chives and want to try this recipe.Thank you.

25. marla says:

What are Chinese chives (garlic chives)? Can the green part of green onions be used?
    This sounds like it would be wonderful in fried rice also.