Clay Pot Yong Tau Foo (Yong Tow Foo) http://rasamalaysia.com/clay-pot-yong-tow-foo-recipe/
March 29th, 2010 32 Comments

Clay Pot Yong Tau Foo (Yong Tow Foo)

Clay Pot Yong Tow Foo (Yong Tau Foo)
Clay Pot Yong Tow Foo (Yong Tau Foo) pictures (1 of 4)

A few weeks ago, when I made my yam rice (taro rice), I also prepared some clay pot yong tau foo (yong tow foo). I am an avid fan of yong tau foo (yong tow foo)—stuffed fish paste with okra, chili, egg plant, tofu, or tofu skin. I used my leftover tofu skin and okra for the stuffing.

There is something about Chinese clay pot; I love cooking my food in a clay pot. Clay pot is also called “sand pot” (沙锅), it has a glazed interior and comes in a variety of shapes and sizes. The clay pot is a great cooking utensil in Chinese cooking because it  retains heat and keep the foods warm, so they are especially great for soups and stews. The prepared food is then served with the clay pot, directly onto the dining table…

In the United States, I always get frozen fish paste from Asian stores. You can also get freshly made fish paste in the seafood department of these Asian stores. All you have to do is get the vegetables of your choice, season the fish paste with a little sesame oil and white pepper powder (to rid the potential fishy smell in the fish paste), and stuff the filling inside the vegetables. For tofu skin, cut the tofu skin into squares, wrap up the fish paste and deep-fry it. I especially love the texture of deep-fried yong tow foo, they are just so great, just like my favorite Ampang Yong Tau Foo at Foong Foong Restaurant in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Yummy!

Click Page 2 for the Clay Pot Yong Tau Foo (Yong Tow Foo) Recipe

1. ting says:

I love this dish. Can I cook with this type of clay pot on a glass-ceramic cooktop?

2. Cooking Mame says:

This dish looks super yummy!! I love stuffing fish paste in chinese eggplant and stir frying it in a spicy black bean sauce served with a nice hot bowl of steamed rice.
    How would you make homemade fish paste?

3. DailyChef says:

I love Chinese clay pot! One of my favorite things to order, but I confess I don’t make it at home too often. I love to add some fish or chicken too, and the Siracha sauce is key :)

4. Laavanya says:

I love the claypot tofu dish that I used to eat in Singapore and miss it terribly… this looks pretty close and makes me crave it all the more. Is there someplace in the US where one can buy these claypots? Thanks for your help. Thanks for this recipe!

5. Bee,
    If I stuffed the fish paste into the puff tofu, will that still be “authentic” enough Yong Tau Foo?

6. This looks absolutely gorgeous, I love anything with okra in it. Yum.

7. Jade says:

Hi, I’ve been reading your blog since forever but was always too shy to comment.hehe..but I saw yong tau foo and I had to say sth..because i’ve been craving and moaning abt it to anyone who would listen. shame it’s so difficult to find ready made fish paste in england though :(

8. kathy says:

The picture makes me hugry. I will try this for myself on my vacation. I just hope I can find fish paste in the supermarket. What other substitute can I use if fishpaste is not available?

Any idea what fish (and other “ingredients”) go into the frozen fish paste/emulsion? I don’t dare to buy every time I see it. :O

• I know what you mean, I remember checking the label once and if didn’t alarm me so I think should be ok, but next time I check for you. I only remember they put MSG in the fish paste but that doesn’t bother me cause I grew up eating MSG.

10. noobcook says:

everything just looks better and of course tastes better in a claypot. kudos for making your own ytf… I always buy them ready made, there is a famous stall near my place. nothing beats home made though. your beautiful clay pot makes me crave for ytf now :p

11. J2Kfm says:

On the contrary, I like my YTF deep-fried. Hehehe, like the ones at Big Tree Foot in Ipoh.
    Okay lah, the Puchong ones also good, in soup with lots of sayur manis.

12. MaryMoh says:

This just looks very delicious. I have been missing this lots. I wish I can get the right fresh fish to make the fish paste. This would be so good in this cold weather.

13. I sometimes stuff minced pork into okura to cook curry, but haven’t tried fish paste. Very interesting & thank you!!

14. You have me dreaming of fish paste now, if you can believe that! Wow, I bet that WOULD be great stuffed into all manner of vegetables — from okra to eggplant to mushrooms to you name it.

15. Hi Bee,

Your Yong Tau Fu(YTF) look delicious. I never prepare YTF before but love to eat YTF. Whether the dry YTF or with soup I dont care. I remember when I was back in Melaka, my mom prepare her YTF using Ikan Tinggiri. I am not sure Tinggiri in english….

16. Kathy says:

Your ytf looks very nice and delicious. I love this Asian food and so sad that I have not tried making this one at home hmmm thank you for your recipe. I am going to try this and I know my family will surely love it! Thanks!

17. in says:

What a coincidence! First the chai boay that my mom made the same day as you and now this! I just made YTF a few days ago. You forgot to mention in your recipe to de-seed the ladies fingers. BTW, stuffed red chillies is a MUST. My broth recipe is slightly different. First fry some garlic and shallots then add in ikan bilis stock. Add a bit of oyster sauce and salt/pepper to taste. And finally the spring onions of course. As for the sauce, fry some chopped garlic till fragrant, add taucheo (yellow bean sauce)and stir. Add water and sugar and cornflour mixed with a little water to thicken.

• I like my okra with seeds so I don’t remove the seeds, but it’s up to personal preference. For my broth, I just like it easy and fast, that’s why I use canned chicken broth, hehe. For the dipping, I am doing it like the Ampang way, just sweet sauce and chili sauce, I don’t have sweet sauce so I use hoisin sauce.

18. Very good receipt. I love this.
    Your article is very topical for me. Thanks for the information. I really liked your blog. I add this blog into bookmark.

19. I’m so disappointed we don’t have this in the UK! I’ve searched high and low for fish paste. Have a major hankering for YTF now..

20. This looks wonderful and you are so industrious! I’m just a lazy Singaporean who can pop by the wet market any day to pick up all kinds of pre-made yong tau foo for cheap =) hee

21. Pingback:TY for the answers on the roast, but I need to know about the pottery cooking pot? | Home Accessories Decor

22. Lori Lynn says:

I am completely intrigued by this dish. I can’t wait to work with tofu skin!
    LL

23. Pingback:Rain Barrels Can Help Conserve Water: Easy Ways to Collect Rain …

24. FIANA says:

SEDAPKAAAAAAAAAAAAA………….SAYA X PERNAH MAKAN YONG TAU FOO?????????

25. hungree says:

I would like to make the fish paste from scratch. Which fish do you recommend?