Five Things to Eat in Malaysia http://rasamalaysia.com/five-things-to-eat-in-malaysia/
September 09th, 2006 11 Comments

Five Things to Eat in Malaysia

As a newbie food blogger, I am two steps behind when it comes to the hot happenings in the food blogosphere. About a week ago I requested Passionate Eater to tag me for “Five Things to Eat Before You Die” started by Traveler’s Lunch Box — not knowing exactly what it meant by “tagging” (According to the rules of the kid’s game, I quickly ran away).

After finding out that I had been tagged, I started to panic not knowing exactly what to do (OMG, I’m “it”). So for the next few days, I lurked around the blogosphere and finally realized that I needed to suggest my own “Five Things to Eat Before You Die” list in return (Passionate Eater – I am sorry this has taken so long!)…

As an insatiable foodie, it’s a huge challenge to limit my choices down to just 5 foods. After much considerations and serious debate with others, I finally settled with the list of top 5 foods that I would like to share with you. As Rasa Malaysia is essentially a Malaysian food blog and the word “Die” is seemingly morbid in my dictionary, I have decided to take a lighter approach and give you “Top 5 Things to Eat (While Living) in Malaysia.”

1. Nasi Lemak
  2. Roti Canai
  3. Penang Assam Laksa
  4. Malaysian Satay

And last but not least, at number 5, Grilled Stingray wrapped in banana leaves.

Ikan Panggang / Grilled Stingray wrapped in Banana Leaves

When live stingrays can prove to be fatal (well, you all should be aware of the sad incident by now), Malaysian Grilled Stingray is one of the best creations of Malaysian cuisine. Wrapped in banana leaves and seasoned with turmeric powder and other spices, this delicate fish is grilled to perfection and served with a condiment of Sambal Belacan with sliced shallots and lime juice.

There you have it — the top 5 foods to eat in Malaysia — remember, Malaysian food is not simply the five things I mentioned above. If you have the opportunity to travel through Malaysia, eat everything that looks interesting: not many places in the world have such varieties of food for your palate to experience.

OK, now you’re it

Click Images Below for More Easy & Yummy Recipes:

1. Passionate Eater says:

I’m sorry that you are unable to post on my website. Try logging in as “Other” and typing your name and website, and not using the Blogger login. Also, I love your list! I love the crunchy and elastic roti canai! I haven’t tried the sweet dipping sauce, but I usually have the curry with potato. Thanks for sharing your list! Also, I added your link onto my website if you don’t mind. I love your site, it is mouthwatering.

2. Rasa Malaysia says:

Thanks for linking me, Passionate Eater. I need more links to my site, so the more the merrier! :)

Try Roti Canai with sugar, it’s simple and good!

3. kris says:

i can imagine the headache to decide on top 5. Well, 4 out of 5 in your list are my fave ;)

4. boo_licious says:

Guess you will definitely be eating those dishes when you’re back in KL! Happy eating.

5. Rasa Malaysia says:

Kris and Boo_licious,

Yes, too many good Malaysian dishes available so it was hard to decide. Yes, I will be eating the real ones when I am home. :)

6. Tummythoz says:

Well well well. Thot ur profile pic looked familiar. Just checked my hotmail & saw ur mail! ‘Alo there, college-mate.

7. Rasa Malaysia says:

tummythoz…hmmm, reveal your identity please. Send me an email. :)

8. Caroline@Bibliocook.com says:

Having visited Malaysia three times in the last four years and with another trip coming up in January I was delighted to discover your site today. I’m always wandering around markets and hawker stalls, nosily trying to figure out what the foods are and it’s great to find some good photographic representations online! I normally travel to Kuching but did visit Penang once and really enjoyed the night market there. I’ll be keeping an eye out for your posts in future!

9. 5xmom ~chanlilian.net~ says:

LOL, hope you have eaten every single one of them, twice over?

10. i think the foods are gud.

11. Desmond Looi says:

Hi,

Good list.Maybe split into groups…e.g. noodles, rice, dessert etc.
    There is just too much good food around to just list 5 generically.

Char Kway Teow / Hokkien Mee / Curry mee is a must also.
    It’s so hard to make a list.

lol…i also eat roti canai with sugar sometimes. Also, sugar with Bak Chang