Fried Mochi Rice (Nuo Mi Fan/糯米饭) http://rasamalaysia.com/fried-mochi-rice/
October 03rd, 2011 27 Comments

Fried Mochi Rice (Nuo Mi Fan/糯米饭)

Nuo Mi Fan (Fried Mochi Rice)
Nuo Mi Fan (Fried Mochi Rice) pictures (4 of 4)

I love discovering great looking and delicious food blogs, and recently, I found The Unseasoned Wok while browsing around. The story of a daughter-in-law learning authentic Chinese cooking from a master Chinese chef/restaurateur had me ogling The Unseasoned Wok and the delicious posts for hours. The nori-wrapped shrimp—one of my favorite appetizers was calling my name. Meet Jamie, the blogger behind The Unseasoned Wok, who blogs from Hawaii.

When I first received Bee’s email asking me to be a guest on Rasa Malaysia, I was star struck. Up until then, I was a girl with a crush, lurking around Bee’s site typing out comments and then deleting them because they weren’t smart enough. Now here I am with a whole post to fill on Rasa Malaysia. Thank you Bee for having me!

Bee asked me to post a dish that is true to my roots. If you don’t know me, my roots are Japanese, transplanted in Hawaiian soil generations ago amidst a bed of sprouting diversity during the plantation days of old Hawaii. Most recently I’ve added Chinese to the mix when I married a smart and cute Chinese guy who can not only whip up an awesome fried rice, but can also serve as a handy spell checker and blog groupie.

Before I met my husband, I barely knew what to do with a clove of garlic, and my understanding of “good” Chinese food was an order of beef broccoli drowning in brown sauce. I wasn’t really a fan, mostly because fortune cookies and soggy take-out don’t qualify as Chinese food. And then I married him—the only son of a Chinese restaurateur. That is how my education in all things good and tasty began.

Today I am sharing with you my family’s recipe for nuo mi fan (pronounced noh-my-fahn in Cantonese). This is the dish that comes to mind when I think of being true to my roots, Chinese home cooking, family, togetherness, comfort and laughter.

Nuo Mi Fan

Popo says, “Eat nuo mi fan when it’s cold because it warms your stomach.” I’m sure it has something to do with the Chinese belief in the balance of hot and cold, yin and yang, and qi. But I like to think she means eat nuo mi fan when it’s cold because it warms the soul. It’s a dish that sits on the family buffet, totally unglamorous, but wholly satisfying. It’s there with us on family holidays, at Sunday dinners, and to greet out-of-town guests, silently comforting us with each chewy morsel. And when the day is done, and you’re exhausted and ravenous, a heaping bowl of nuo mi fan on the dinner table is all you need to bring you back to the important things in life.

The Chinese have a saying, “A family with an old person has a living treasure of gold.” This recipe comes from my father-in-law, our old person, our treasure. I hope it brings you as much joy as it does our family. Enjoy!

Click Page 2 for the Fried Mochi Rice (Nuo Mi Fan/糯米饭) Recipe

1. Delicious says:

I love this always order at Chinese dim sum restaurants. Do you use lotus leaf to wrap?

2. Elaine Xie via Facebook says:

yum, I love this stuff.

3. Namiko Chen via Facebook says:

Looks really delicious!

4. ladyjayne says:

What is “sweet rice” and where can I purchase some?

5. @Delicious – I like nuo mi gai and jung too! Those are steamed in the leaf and served at dim sum, but Nuo mi fan is a little different. It’s steamed first, and then stir fried so I’ve seen it served in bowls at dim sum. At home, we just eat it out of the wok or from a large bowl!

6. I love it. When I was studying in ACS Ipoh, an auntie use to sell it in the canteen. Next to the Malay food stall. Anyone can recall? It was 1983/4. I really miss the fried noodles, the chee cheong fun, the kuih stall and the lychee drink and the fritters from the malay stall. Good old memories, never will die

7. Joy says:

That looks wonderful.

8. Pingback:Fried Mochi Rice from Rasa Malaysia - Martha's Circle

9. PITS, MANILA says:

I LOVE EATING FRIED RICE OFF A BOWL. IT DOES WARM THE STOMACH AS WELL AS THE SOUL.

10. SparklingRachel says:

I love a good fried rice~!

11. Peter Pantry Raider says:

Apparently “sweet rice” = glutinous rice and this is a twist in the preparation of Lor Mai Kai. You can also add some soaked tiny dried shrimps (dry fried)into the mix if you like.

Wrapping in lotus leaf will give the rice a distinct aroma. This is a really lovely dish.

• Ooh yes! My father-in-law likes to put the dried shrimps in his mochi rice. I have to try it with the lotus leaf. Do you re-steam it in the leaf after you fry the rice? I think that would work since I always resteam my nuo mi fan in order to reheat it.

12. Yum. Dunno why but the photos brings back memories of the claypot chicken rice from PJ!

13. Cookie C. Choo Choo says:

Wow!!! Looks delicious!! Can we use a rice cooker to cook the rice instead of steaming it?

• @ Cookie C. Choo Choo – thank you! I’m not sure if you can use a rice cooker to steam the mochi rice. I’ve never tried it, but I think the rice may not come out to the right consistency. The steaming process is really fast and easy – you just need to have the patience to let the rice soak overnight – that’s the hardest part to me!

14. Fern says:

I miss eating this! And it certainly looks good and packed with a load of ingredients! Drool….:p~~~

15. chin oi lin says:

my favourite food. love it

16. Sweet rice, is that glutinuous rice?

17. dianaluvsnyc says:

i can’t wait to try this! i’m going shopping for the ingredients today…i can get fresh char sui in nyc china town. this sounds and looks a lot like those hanging meats in the restaurant windows. question — what brand of “good soy sauce” do you use? can you recommend a brand? i’m an amateur at asian cuisine :p

18. Clarissa says:

My mom always stuffed our turkey with Nuo Mi Fan, it was what we looked forward to each thanksgiving. I never knew it was it’s own thing or what “american” stuffing was until I was maybe in high school or college!

19. Fritz says:

I notice that the website no longer active :(

20. Rita Santos says:

I love char sui and lap gion with chinese green choi cook with NUO MI FAN.