Guess What? http://rasamalaysia.com/guess-what/
November 11th, 2006 24 Comments

Guess What?

I would like to ask you a riddle; I received some fruit from a friend here in California but I couldn’t tell immediately what they were (I haven’t had these for the longest time!). I finally figured out after I cut them up and tasted them.

Do send me your answer(s) by posting in the “Comments” section. The first person who gets it right will win (in the voice of Dr. Evil in Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery) one million dollars!!! my respect.

Hint: They are widely available in Asia.

Congratulations to Ho Jiak, the first person to solve the riddle. Yes, they are Guavas, or Jambu Batu in Malay language.

Originally from Mexico and South America, Guavas are readily found in tropical and sub-tropical countries. In Malaysia, we usually dip raw Jambu Batu in sour plum powder, which make them very appetizing.

Whenever I go home to Penang, I would order Guava juice at kopitiam instead of having them raw. If I recall correctly, Guavas in Malaysia are much bigger. As you can tell from the pictures here, these are the mini-me variety of California Guavas. In fact, the round one looks more like a green Tangerine to me. Don’t you think?

You Might Also Like These Recipes Below:

Are they Kaffir Lime?

-G

2. Rasa Malaysia says:

I think Blogger comments fuction is playing up again.

3. Ho Jiak says:

If I’m not mistaken, it’s Malaysian green guava or we call it jambu, right?

want me to bring u some sour plum powder ? *wink*

S

5. suanne says:

I think they are guava but they look a bit small.

6. Chris says:

Those are Californian guavas..=P

7. Rasa Malaysia says:

Congratulations to Ho Jiak, you are the winner of this riddle so you have my new respect now!

Congratulations to S and Suanne too, you guys know your food (I don’t always know!). :P

8. Chubbypanda says:

I knew it! I used to eat these all the time in Taiwan.

- Chubbypanda

9. Rasa Malaysia says:

Clapping hands! You got it right too, Chris and Chubby Panda. :)

10. toniXe says:

the winner has your respect, good.

r u gonna have more such riddles/contests, but prize must b more than your respect, right guys ? ! ( hehehe )

Anyway wonder if this type of guava can grow here in Malaysia ? If so don’t forget when u come back again, I wanna grow and eat them here all the time ( they do look rounded,crunchy & solid ), & much prettier (n sexy 2 ) than de horrendous looking Bidor ( Perak ) version !

11. -Princess Shin- says:

You’re living in California? Any nice Malaysian food over there? i’m planning to study there.. gonna miss malaysian food a lot! =(

12. Rasa Malaysia says:

Toni – how does Bidor Jambu look? Can you take a picture and let me see how horrendous they are?

Princess Shin – Welcome to Rasa Malaysia. Yes, I live in Orange County in Southern California. There is one very good Malaysian restaurant there, and the others are so-so. Good luck with your study plan. :)

13. mordith says:

You must take me to the one good Malaysian restaurant. Elmo too.

- Chubbypanda

14. -Princess Shin- says:

Oh? My university is in Aliso Viejo in California.. How’s tat place?

15. toniXe says:

will do next x I m there !

16. Rasa Malaysia says:

Mordith,

Deal! Let’s go to Belacan Grill – the best Malaysian restaurant in SoCal. :)

Princess Shin – Aliso Viejo is not far from where I am. There is a Malaysian restaurant around here, but it’s not very good.

The good one is Belacan Grill, but in Los Angeles, but it’s definitely worth the drive. When you get here, you can contact me. ;)

17. Rasa Malaysia says:

Toni,

Cool, thanks. I wanted to see how the Malaysian variety compared to the ones here. :)

18. Chubbypanda says:

Weird. Why did blogger beta’s comments thingy displaying my email address and not my handle for that last post?

- Chubbypanda

19. Food Marathon says:

I’ll try Belacan Grill before the year’s end. What dishes shouldn’t I miss?

20. Rasa Malaysia says:

Chubbypanda,

Blogger beta is very buggy. My Previous Posts stop changing dynamically. :(

Food Marathon, for Belacan Grill, here are my favorites:

1) Assam Pedas Prawns
    2) Kangkong Belacan
    3) Nasi Lemak
    4) Char Kway Teow
    5) Curry Chicken
    6) Beef Rendang

And don’t forget to ask them for the sambal belacan. They are the best when goes with the above dishes. :)

21. babe_kl says:

i used to climb this guava tree at my aunt’s lawn. the size of the guava is about those in your pic. the centre of the guava is pinkish one. awwww man that was doggone years ago haha

22. callMEalia says:

hi!!!!
    read ur review about belacan gril. i visited dat restaurant during previoustip… if i’m not mistaken during their openings or maybe there was some functio going on whre all malaysians thing like in in LA were invited. sorry 2 say, but their food taste nuthing like malaysian food! i was so disappointed. u mentioned that there are other malaysian restaurant… can u pls tel me where so i can vivit them on my coming trips. thnx!

23. Nur Naffillah says:

There’s this Rasa malaysia in London . U can try that . It’s the closest to Malaysian food but the quality is ain’t that Good . There’s another one at somewhere i forgot but i heard it’s closing down . It sells the best Malay Food outside Singapore or Malaysia ! Very tasty . Taste quite similar too .

24. Dankeni says:

They are guava’s. I eat them all the time.