Jerk Chicken and Mandarin Orange Salsa http://rasamalaysia.com/jamaican-jerk-chicken/
March 30th, 2008 32 Comments

Jerk Chicken and Mandarin Orange Salsa

Jerk Chicken Marinate
Jerk Chicken Marinate pictures (6 of 7)

Since my trip to Jamaice 5 years ago, I have fallen in love with Jamaican jerk chicken–the food that I ate in Jamaica every day during that vacation. So, as soon as I met up with Cynthia of Tastes Like Home in Barbados during my recent cruise vacation, I told her to take me to a local store to buy “real” jerk seasoning, and she kindly bought me a bottle of “Walkerwood Spicy Jerk Marinate”–a product made in Jamaica–plus other Barbabos marinate goodies.

I marinated the chicken overnight with the jerk seasoning, grilled the jerk chicken to perfection, and then brushed them with some olive oil before serving. These Jamaican jerk chicken were fiery hot and very spicy, just the way I like it…

I paired the jerk chicken skewers with mandarin orange salsa, which helped to tone down the heat. Plus, the salsa reminded of my leisure days in the islands of the Caribbean, where life is about sun, warmth, fun, and happiness.

Click Page 2 for the Jerk Chicken and Mandarin Orange Salsa Recipe

1. magpie says:

that salsa looks so good! i’ll have to try it soon :)

2. Manggy says:

Yum, fiery hot… The way I like it, too! I guessed jerk seasoning! Snaps for me, haha :)

Canned mandarin oranges was totally the better choice for the salsa– one of the applications where it’s better than fresh.

3. Piggy says:

haha, I thought that you have some secret ingredients.. ;-) the jamaican “satay” still looks delicious nonetheless!

4. lingzie says:

oh i love grilled chicken skewers!! which is why i do so adore satay so much.
    that salsa sounds interesting! never tried making a salsa out of mandarin oranges.. :)
    don’t think i can get my hands on that jerk marinade here though. :(

5. mattwright says:

Your food, and photographs are awesome. Congrats mate.

6. noobcook says:

This dish is so beautiful :)~ The oranges salsa is such a yummy-looking and pretty side dish!

7. Claude-Olivier says:

Hi, it looks so yummy…simple but “rafiné”, all what i like! Bravo!!!

8. mumuchi says:

I wonder if you could describe the taste of jamaican jerk to the nearest Malaysian analogy if you can.

I have recipes for the jerk and I have seen jerk being prepared on TV, but have not yet had the luck to try it.

Since I only use recipes as a guide and depend more on taste, an inkling of what it should taste like would be helpful for me to try prepare this dish.

9. Amy says:

Love the idea of making jerk chicken skewers! Yummy!

10. Nilmandra says:

What a lovely and simple salsa to make. Thanks for the idea!

11. Kevin says:

That looks really good! I don’t think I have ever had Jamaican jerked chicken before. I will have to look for that marinade.

12. didally says:

These chicken looks hot! I like the mandarin orange salsa.

13. savvygal says:

Yum delicious… mandarin orange salsa looks soooo good. So where can I buy these jerk spices?? I am drooling already!

14. "Joe" who is constantly craving says:

wow..true jamaican food..had it once in london..cant find it anywhere in malaysia!

15. kennymah says:

The colour contrast is amazing! Juicy and luscious against dark and rich… yummy! :D

Btw, I noticed one of your comments in another blog that you’re heading to KL soon? Would be cool to meet up if so. :)

16. Helen says:

mmmm, I love jerk chicken! Here in London, around 5 minutes walk from my house, there is an annual ‘jerk cookout festival’ where the best ‘jerkers’ from around the capital come to show off their skills. The smell as you walk around is incredible and trying to choose which ones to sample is a so hard!

Ya….I was one of those who guessed your secret seasonings :D

I don’t think I ever tried Jamaican Jerk Chicken.

18. Veron says:

I love jerked chicken. Lucky you to have gotten the spice in the carribean…no need to make your own if that’s the case.

19. Hazza says:

Looks like a poshed up version! Very nice! Personally, I prefer a whole chicken portion, with skin on … unhealthy, but yummy!

20. Allen says:

Fiery hot sounds wonderful! The dish looks fantastic :-)

21. MyF says:

That looks interesting.. reminds me of my Nando’s chicken kebabs :-)
    Would love to try these!!!

22. Lori Lynn says:

I love the mandarin orange salsa idea. Mandarin oranges from a can have a distinct taste unlike any other, great idea!

23. robin (caviar and codfish) says:

Do you think the bottled marinade is as fiery hot as homemade versions with scotch bonnets? I’m only asking cause my homemade version was a wee bit too spicy (read: mostly inedible) to me!!

I <3 your photos!

24. Cynthia says:

I have to make a trip to Jamaica just so that I can eat jerk from one of the road-side vendors.

25. Christine says:

I love real jerk seasoning. Great combination with the mandarin oranges too.

26. wmw says:

They look fantastic…I suppose it tastes fantastic too!

I made this jamaican jerk chicken using your easy and simple jamaican jerk chicken recipe. They were a hit!

28. Pingback:Chinese Five-Spice Jamaican Jerk Chicken Recipe | Eating Out Loud

29. Pingback:Foodfreak » Fremdkochen: Mandarinensalsa zu Jerk-Chicken

30. William Widjaja says:

Hi

I’m trying to locate the Jerk Chicken receipe but to no avail.
    Can you please email me the recipes.

Cheers