Japanese Rolled Omelet (Tamagoyaki) http://rasamalaysia.com/japanese-rolled-omelet-tamagoyaki/
November 02nd, 2008 29 Comments

Japanese Rolled Omelet (Tamagoyaki)

Rolled Omelette (Tamagoyaki)
Rolled Omelette (Tamagoyaki) pictures (1 of 9)

I have gone Japanese food crazy lately. It all started after my recent trip to Tokyo. While I always have food crushes, this time it’s more substantial. I am motivated to learn more about Japanese cuisine and to understand the basic techniques of making Japanese food, precisely Japanese home cooking.

My current love affair with Japanese food has gotten me some new kitchen utensils: a daikon grater, a tamagoyaki (Japanese rolled omelet) pan, and a sushi mat. I have also bought a couple of new Japanese cookbooks: Kaiseki Cookbook and Japanese Homestyle Cooking. (Both are great cookbooks!) And my pantry is now choked full of Japanese ingredients: sansho (Japanese variation of Sichuan peppercorn), konbu/kombu (dried kelp), bonito flakes, ponzu, and more miso.

For the past two weeks, I have been reading through my new cookbooks and testing out various Japanese recipes. As a home cook, the process of experimenting with unfamiliar ingredients and new techniques is inspiring. It has been very fun and fulfilling. I enjoy every minute of it.

I am a big fan of Japanese rolled omelet or tamagoyaki–the slightly sweet but delicate omelet that is often packed into Japanese bento boxes and also served at sushi bars as tamago nigiri. I love its aesthetic: yellow and all rolled up in a small package that is easily picked up with a pair of chopsticks. Plus, the taste is utterly delicious and unlike any omelets I have ever tasted!

The first time I tried making tamagoyaki, I failed in its shape and form even though I got the recipe right. There is a specific technique–a skill if you will–in making Japanese rolled omelet or tamagoyaki. My second attempt was a success, not a perfect execution yet, but I got it right. I still need to work on its presentation, the texture and consistency of each layer, and also the heat.

Anyway, I did capture some pictures of the step-by-step process for tamagoyaki, but do refer to the video clips here and here for a better guide.

Click Page 2 for the Japanese Rolled Omelet (Tamagoyaki) Recipe

1. Chocolate Shavings says:

I’ve been trying to make Japanese omelet for a while but I’m not that good at it yet. Yours looks great!

2. mycookinghut says:

Delicious! I love tamagoyaki! My tamagoyaki pan has not been used since my purchase a few months ago. Japanese food is yummy and looks delicate :)

3. Marc @ NoRecipes says:

Nicely done! So you’re on a Japanese food kick huh? Maybe we should trade Malaysian cooking techniques for Japanese;-) I’ve always wanted to get better at cooking Malaysian food!

4. Rosa's Yummy Yums says:

Really wonderful and perfectly rolled! Great pictures too!

Cheers,

Rosa

5. Manggy says:

Well done bee! I think Lunch In a Box also has a demo of the process. I was a little skeptical of tamago at first (I’m not a fan of eggs), but once I tasted them, I loved them!

6. ChichaJo says:

I’m a big fam of Japanese food as well…sushi in particular :) Tamago is always one of the things we order. I am too wimpy to try it out at home though! Bravo to you and this tamago omelet looks perfect!

7. Manggy says:

Oh, I forgot to say: Kaiseki is crazy-beautiful but it is also crazy CRAZY! I wouldn’t know the first thing about procuring 90% of the ingredients in that book :O

8. MeetaK says:

anything to get new cooking gear! lol! i really enjoy japanese food too – but for some reason do not cook it too often at home. but i am hoping to take a few lessons from you. to start with i think i will try this one tonight!

9. limpepsi says:

The step-by-step pictures are helpful! I (my Japanese friend taught me)used normal fyring pan to cook Tamago before.I poured 1/3of the egg and rolled to the frying pan’s side. Once slightly cook, poured another round of the egg and rolled again. Continue until finished. Slowly builded up a thick Tamago. A bit messy but tasted deliciously!

Your Tamago is very beautiful! Makes me want to invest tamagoyaki pan.

10. Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) says:

I’ve seen these little pans in my Asian supermarket and been tempted to buy one, but never have. Now, with a good method for making the omelets, I might just have to treat myself, too!

11. Food For Tots says:

I also made tamagoyaki today but am still not skillful enough to roll out the egg like yours. Luvly rolls!

12. Katia says:

That looks yummy, though I don’t know if I want to attempt that anytime soon (I’m still not over my Chinese and Indonesian cooking phase.) But there’s another great book, called Japanese Cooking, A Simple Art by Shizuo Tsuji … and even though it’s a bit old, it has great illustrations of step-by-step process and a lot of yummy recipes, along with sauces and dressings.

13. New Kid on the Blog says:

:) I don’t need to write long comments or so… just send me the tamagoyaki.

14. 天然パーマンTENNEN PARMAN [from Japan] says:

Hi, I am Tennen-Perman,E-mail from Japan.
    I visited your site sometimes so far.
    You have a cool site.
    I linked your site in my blog.
    I administer a blog talking about cooking.
    Please link to my site in your ones if you like it.

thank you!

15. Lyrical Lemongrass says:

Ah you’ve inspired me to take out my japanese cookbook and cook something special too!

16. Mrs Ergül says:

Please do 1 japanese steamed egg recipe for us! Thanks in advance!

17. jake m says:

wow i like how it looks. it must be yummy!

18. Piggy says:

wow, these are some perfect looking tamagoyaki! I like the picture too.

19. ck lam says:

Can’t wait to see your posts on more Japanese food in the near future!

20. Kitti says:

ive really enjoyed reading your posts on Japanese food! I’ve got a Japanese-food-crush myself, so its exciting to see other people’s interest.
    I thought you may be interested in one of my favorite online Japanese shops – Ichiban Kan – a very inexpensive Japanese type dollar store. If you’re at all interested in bento, or even fun stuff for around the house and kitchen, check it out. Its my newest obsession ;)
    keep up the great work!

this is impressive!!! i am a newbie here.. i like to cook and bake too.. but i am still very fresh on this.. i am so envy of you to be so capable in making so many nice dishes!! ur entries always make me drool..
    i am a big fans to japanese food too.. =D i guess i am going to try this very soon!!!
    p/s: will you be posting any recipe on how to make nice chawan mushi??!!? =D

22. FAMILY FIRST says:

Aah .. now i know how its done!

23. StrawberryPocky says:

I always saw tamagoyaki, but I never tasted it before!! I tried this recipe, and it tastes exactly how I imagined tamagoyaki to be!! :D It was salty, but a bit sweet! It took me five tries to get it rolled right….. -_- but I’ll keep trying to roll it out as beautiful as yours. :)

24. Joe says:

Looks very pretty; mine never look quite as nice sadly. I use honey instead of sugar, that might be something interesting to try as well.

25. Kid's play says:

My husband loves this but I struggle making it with a round skillet. It is “Oishi-i” nonetheless!

26. ryan says:

cool recipe, I’ll try it out.

27. Jazzmin says:

Can I do this recipe in a regular circle pan? What size of pan should I use for this recipe, 10in or 12 inch circle frying pan. Did you use extra large eggs? Do you think if will taste ok if I don’t add the dashi no moto? Thank-you very much.