Korean Spicy Chicken Stew http://rasamalaysia.com/korean-spicy-chicken-stew/
November 27th, 2011 20 Comments

Korean Spicy Chicken Stew

Korean Chicken Stew
Korean Chicken Stew pictures (1 of 3)

Whenever I shop at Korean grocery stores, I love checking out the marinated meats section where buckets of pre-marinated meats are ready for sale. Other than the regular kalbi or beef short ribs for Korean BBQ, there is always a bucket of marinated chicken meat labeled as chicken stew. I always buy the chicken stew and make it at home but it was pricey.

I decided to learn how to make it and found a similar braised chicken recipe in the Kimchi Chronicles cookbook. The main flavoring ingredients are Korean chili paste “Gochujang” and Korean chili powder. From the market, I found two types of Korean chili powder—one type is a fine powdered form and the other is slightly coarse. I am not sure about the difference so if you are a Korean cook, please let me know.

I love the addition of potatoes and carrots to this spicy chicken stew. The end result is a spicy and hearty chicken stew that I really enjoy eating. It was simply delicious and comforting.

Click Page 2 for the Korean Spicy Chicken Stew Recipe

1. I love korean food, they are all yummy. wish I know how to cook them at home. we don’t have any korean restaurant in town, poor me.

2. zenchef says:

I say delicious!
    Something I would love to have at my dinner table tonight.
    Oh wait. Maybe it’s not too late to start!

[runs]

3. renee says:

The chili paste is the one we use in 石锅拌饭?
    The rice wine, can i use chinese kind? thanks.

• Yes, it’s similar but I believe the chili paste in 石锅拌饭 has been mixed with something else because it’s sweeter. You can go to Asian market and find the Korean chili paste, which is more spicy. Yes, Chinese rice wine is fine. :)

4. Jade says:

Yummy, a great dish for winter for sure.

5. Jeannie Kenny says:

This sounds wonderful! I have a question for you…do you know how long fish sauce is good for (in the bottle, un-refrigerated)?

6. Amy Powis via Facebook says:

In my experience the finer ground gochu was always used in sauces along with gochujang…but the coarse stuff showed up in marinated sides of bean sprouts and in soups. I’m just assuming though, I never asked someone when I was there. Check out Seoul Eats, and my friend, Dan Gray who is a Korean foodie expert for tips, recipes, and video tutorials if you want more info on Korean food.

7. Bee Ho says:

Looks yummy, must buy the Korean chili paste and chili powder when we visit the Korean supermarket next time.

8. Sounds and looks yummy! Love these simple recipes :)

9. Hanna says:

This stew looks so good especially with this cold weather. I have one question for you. Do you keep the Korean chili paste at room temperature or in the fridge?
    Thanks

10. Ohh this is my type of dish – ever since i got pregnant i am just craving Korean spicy food. . .

11. Corina says:

I don’t know much about Korean food but this looks gorgeous – I love any spicy asian stew.

12. joey says:

Bee! I bought Gochujang for the bulgogi recipe I saw here from Eating and Living (which we had tonight and loved!!) and now I am raring to use more of it! This looks like another great recipe for it…I think I may have to buy more soon!

13. Yum! This looks great. I’ve always got gochujang and red pepper flakes in my pantry. I love making Korean spicy soups and stews.

14. elaine says:

YUM!! trying this tonight! it’s so cold here, i need a little spicy korean stew ;)

15. Kirstin Sarah says:

If rice wine or sake is not available what other alternatives i can use?