Laksa http://rasamalaysia.com/laksa/
Laksa
Laksa pictures (1 of 4)

Laksa is a spice-laden noodle dish that is popular in Malaysia and Singapore; it’s a noodle dish that is quickly gaining popularity outside of Southeast Asia because of the scrumptious taste. To most people, especially the western media, laksa means curry laksa, a noodle dish in coconut milk and curry soup base. The truth is, there are many different  types of laksa but the two dominant ones are curry laksa (coconut milk based) and asam laksa (tamarind based). Laksa is an iconic street food served by street vendors (hawkers) throughout Malaysia, a dish that I grew up eating…

In my hometown Penang, laksa simply means Asam Laksa, a spicy and sour fish-based noodle dish. My Penang laksa recipes are here and here. In Penang, curry laksa is known as curry mee and my recipe is here.

Are you confused yet?

Anyway, today I am sharing a “friendly” laksa recipe with you. I have adapted this laksa recipe so the taste appeals more to the western palate. I also did a twist by adding evaporated milk to the laksa stock, so it’s half coconut milk and half evaporated milk. The end result is a creamier version of laksa without the dominant flavor of coconut milk. To further enhance the aroma of the broth, I threw in a few kaffir lime leaves. The laksa was so delicious that even my friend‘s 2 year old and 4 years old enjoyed it.

Click Page 2 for the Laksa Recipe

1. kalyani says:

Hii there! I love your version of Laksa! sounds yummy to me! But i was wondering if its possible to make the curry paste at home? Coz i live in INDIA and i have never seen any laksa paste at the mall!

• khalilgib says:

LAKSA SPICE PASTE
      20g piece ginger, chopped
      3 fat garlic cloves
      2 stalks lemongrass, chopped
      75g shallots, roughly chopped
      2 teaspoons dried shrimp, rehydrated in boiling water for 5 minutes and drained well
      1.5 teaspoons shrimp paste
      20g cashew nuts
      2 teaspoons fish curry powder (Baba’s, if you can get it)
      20g fresh turmeric
      4 fresh long red finger chillies
      ½ teaspoon salt
      1 tablespoon vegetable oil

2. Munira says:

hi bee,
    i just saw ur website n i’m so trilled as a fellow malaysian here. i’m so proud of u who promoting malaysian foods to the world~

just want to say here that ur version of laksa is really an asam laksa while my family is the other version of laksa (tamarind laksa) because my family from kuala kangsar, perak n my late grandfather used to sell laksa in his hometown.

for this version of laksa, u use belacan and boiled fish… n the noodle also different.

btw, love the food pics~ =)

3. SharonTXQ says:

This recipe is for how many people?
    Thanks a million ^^

4. Kathy says:

hi bee,
    silly question though, what is the difference between a curry paste and curry powder? in case i won’t be able to find curry paste here in our place, can i use curry powder instead? thank you :) looking forward in making this dish

5. Anthony Lebatuan says:

Thanks so much for the recipe and the beautiful images. My tummy making noise just looking at the pix.

I had my first Laksa in Singore on June 20th, 2000 and always must have Laksa being back to Sing each time.

The Singaporean version uses some clams, fish paste loaf (sliced as you can see in your posted picture 1/2) the clam juice in their stock with the rest of your listed recipe. The clams added some seafood character to the dish.

Love it.

6. fionna lee says:

hi there! i am cooking laksa for my school pratical homework and i found ur recipe which was the easiest! i was wondering this recipe is for how many servings. thanks a mill!:)

7. For a bit of twist would be tremendously welcome to enhance the really Malaysin palates . That’s nice really. I reckon.

8. William says:

Hi Bee,

How many does this recipe serve? Thanks!

9. Patsy says:

Could you please explain what sort of fish cakes are in this recipe? Many thanks.

10. Ailisa Essaid says:

Dear Bee…I always look forward to read your blog…Well presented with great pix :-). I’m wondering whether you can help me out. I’ve been searching on the net for the Siamese Laksa, using not fish but chicken flesh instead. There’s a stall in Sec 14, PJ selling this laksa & being a laksa lover, tried asking the uncle for the recipe without any success:-(
    The uncle uses the noodle just like the one in Penang Assam Laksa & the gravy is somewhat like curry mee but the taste is sour. I can see he put in tiny bits of bunga kantan (torch ginger bud), taugeh (bean sprout), kacang panjang (long bean) & oh I forgot to mention, prawns! Don’t you think it’s somewhat like curry mee? Maybe next time I should take a pix of it & post it to you :-)…Thanx for your time & answer Bee

11. Poopy says:

how long does it take to make?

12. mardy says:

People from Darwin, Australia love Laksa aswell, they are sold at the local markets. People have found there favorite Laksa shops and will go out of there way to get it. When traveling down south there is no food to compare!