Malaysian Banana Pancakes with Lemon Coconut Curd http://rasamalaysia.com/malaysian-banana-pancake-with-lemon-coconut-curd/
September 27th, 2010 24 Comments

Malaysian Banana Pancakes with Lemon Coconut Curd

Malaysian Banana Pancake with Lemon Coconut Curd
Malaysian Banana Pancake with Lemon Coconut Curd pictures (4 of 4)

I have said it many times. I am constantly amazed by the many talented Malaysian bloggers living overseas. Thanks to Almost Bourdain, I recently discovered yet another beautiful blog authored by Steph, a Malaysian currently living in Sydney—Raspberri Cupcakes. As the name suggests, Raspberri Cupcakes is mostly about baking, cupcakes, and desserts, a department which I am pretty much useless. Please welcome Raspberri Cupcakes to Rasa Malaysia with the decadent Malaysian Banana Pancakes with Lemon Coconut Curd recipe.

After spending several years growing up in Malaysia, there are so many fabulous Malaysian dishes that I associate with happy childhood memories. These days as I am living in Sydney, and am always excited to go back to Malaysia on holiday, or have my Mum visit and cook to me my favourite Malaysian treats. As I am a complete sweet tooth, I thought I would share a recipe of my Mum’s that I am incredibly fond of – Malaysian Banana Pancakes. Whenever we had overripe bananas in the house my Mum would mash them up and make these deliciously fragrant pancakes for breakfast. I would wait by the frying pan impatiently and eat them too quickly, burning my tongue. They’re very different to regular pancakes, small, a bit denser and a little oily thanks to the banana and coconut milk. They taste pretty great on their own, but my Mum used to serve them with fresh lemon slices and golden syrup. It was definitely one of my favourite breakfasts. The leftover pancakes were always warmed up in the microwave for a delicious afternoon snack…

Since I always like to put a fun twist in all of my recipes, I decided to replace the fresh lemon slices with an indulgent sauce – Lemon & Coconut Curd. This sauce is amazing; it’s smooth and creamy and the flavour matches the banana pancakes so perfectly. The tangy flavour of lemon is the first thing to hit your tongue, but you’re left with the beautiful, creamy aftertaste of coconut. I couldn’t resist serving it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream as well. As soon as I tasted these banana pancakes, I was transported right back to my Mum’s kitchen in KL. It’s packed full of rich banana flavour, with lovely crisp brown edges. If you wish you can serve the pancakes traditionally without the lemon coconut curd, but I think the sauce adds a little something special. Any leftover curd can be stored in the fridge for a few days and served with vanilla ice cream, or spread on toast.

A huge thanks to Bee for letting me share this recipe with all of you, I hope you get the chance to try these pancakes and enjoy them!

1. Junie Bug says:

The lemon coconut curd is interesting, I can imagine that it goes well with the banana pancakes!

2. Sara says:

Oh my these pancakes look scrumptious!!! *drool*

3. I love this girl :) Her desserts are always amazing and this one is no exception. Speaking of which… I have a few ripe bananas on my kitchen bench…

4. Yvette says:

I made the pancakes for brunch and they were delicious! Instead of butter in the pan (no butter at home, I know, that’s weird), I put about 1/8 cup of oil in the batter and added more milk to make it slightly runnier…the resultant pancakes weren’t greasy at all.

• Steph says:

Oh yay, I’m so excited that you tried them! Haha actually that’s a good idea that you added more milk, when I called up my Mum to check the quantity of milk in the recipe she had no idea, she just adds it until it’s a consistency she’s happy with :) So I think it’s a personal preference thing. So glad you liked the recipe!

5. WOW!!! They look absolutely delicious, I can’t believe I have been making boring banana bread with my over ripe bananas, this looks so much nicer. Can’t wait for the chance to try this recipe.

6. Lucy L says:

oh wow! i want to make some now!

7. Such a amazing dish, and I love the addition of the curd. Beautiful photos too! I wish I had a Mum making these so I could burn my tongue on them too :)

8. Sara says:

What a gorgeous creation of something so simple. Glad to discover your blog. :)

9. Amanda says:

This looks amazing. I love the banana crepe rolls at Indonesian restaurants, which is also made with coconut milk, so I imagine this would be delectable.

10. DailyChef says:

Looks amazing! I made lemon curd a few weeks ago for a shortcake, and would love to use it in a more Asian-style dessert.

11. lingzie says:

this recipe looks divine!! have been wanting to try making my own lemon curd for some time now… this looks just perfect! :)

12. Bananas and coconut are my two favs, so you can’t go wrong. I do remember my mom making these too. I like the coconut curd addition and will have to try it, thx for sharing and reminding me.

13. What a great flavour combo that bring back memories of my childhood in Malaysia. Well done, Steph!

14. Devine says:

I tried your recipe your recipe to make mini pancakes for my husband… it taste sooo goood that he just can’t stop nibbling on them… including myself… thanks

15. Alta says:

Wow, this recipe is amazing. I am inspired to make these ASAP.

16. Fabiyi Olawale says:

I came across ur website just last night and i tried ur recipe..As a young man in his mid-20′s and african who isnt too used to these kinda food, i must say thumbs up2u..the lemon curd and coconut mixture was awesome..Last night was my first night of making pancakes.I wasnt sure what 60g e.t.c were but intuitively i tried it out and the pancakes were great..i even invited my friends over and they loved it..finally when i dressed the pancakes with d lemon curd mixture, my friends were like wooh& added vanila ice cream topping..Then i washed the whole thing down with a glass of fresh milk..u’re d best.. I’ll try out other things here. I want to try the Rendang, but i cant find the recipe..God bless you for sharing this..take kia and have a blesssed week..cheers

17. A says:

Hi, apa kabar!

I`m a huge fans of masakan Malaysia! I lived in KL for one year, but I still feel that wasn`t enough to explore the cuisine.
    Even now I still have occasional cravings for nasi lemak, roti canay, chicken rice, and sugarcane drink!
    Thanks a lot for sharing the recipes and the gorgeous photos.

• Peter Kong says:

Try cooking your own nasi lemak the easy way with my simple recipe in your rice cooker.

Ingredients:
      Rice (any amount you wish) / Old Ginger (about 2″ sliced and blended) /
      pandan leaves (2-4) /coconut milk (1/2 to 1 coconut or 2 boxes if you get them from supermarkets) / Salt to taste.

Wash and clean rice for cooking. Reduce amount of water to make room for the coconut milk. Throw all the ingredients into the pot with the coconut milk + salt and start cooking.

You can also cook assam prawn curry or fried assam prawns (best with sambal belachan + sliced cucumber) to go with the nasi lemak. These Recipes available here in this site also.

Enjoy.

• Peter Kong says:

BTW you can also cook chicken rice with these exact same ingredients by cutting the chicken into small pieces and frying the blended ginger until fragrant then add the chicken and fry until half cooked and pour them into the pot when hot and start cooking.

You can be adventurous by adding any extra ingredients you like into the pot like chinese mushrooms or chinese sausages or button mushrooms or slices of salted fish etc.

Or you can use pork and yam to cook yam rice with the same method and ingredients.

Experiment with whatever ingredients you like and surprise yourself.

18. Holy cow – These pancakes elevate breakfast to the next level – they look incredible.

Cannot wait to give them a try.

19. NoviceChef says:

This looks really good.

Do you have any guidance as to the size of the bananas? Not exactly sure what “large” means.

20. aarti says:

I just made these pancakes this morning for mothers day and they are delicious! I have to say the sauce had the smell of raw eggs though and the butter kept congealing in.

21. Bahrom says:

Haven’t eat this for ages,SEDAP……