Mini Egg Cake (鸡蛋糕) http://rasamalaysia.com/mini-egg-cake-recipe/
June 03rd, 2013 87 Comments

Mini Egg Cake (鸡蛋糕)

Traditional Mini Egg Cake
Traditional Mini Egg Cake pictures (2 of 3)

My friend CP is a fantastic baker. She always posts her beautiful baking recipes on Facebook. A few weeks ago, I asked her if she would be willing to share some of her recipes with the readers of Rasa Malaysia and she gladly said yes. I chose four baking recipes from her, which I will be posting in the next few weeks. They are all great stuff, and I hope you will love what she shares with us.

This mini egg cake or 鸡蛋糕 caught my attention when I was going through her photos. These mini cakes were my favorite when I was growing up as my mother would always buy them from the market, and I would snack on it the whole day: breakfast, tea, and supper, or whenever I am hungry. So this recipe does bring a lot of childhood memories back.

Mini Egg Cake

My friend CP told me that she adapted the recipe from a baking book by a very popular Malaysian baker. It is an easy recipe and takes less than 1 hour, so everyone can make this. There are no special ingredients involved so there is no need to stock up on new ingredients. Trust me, these mini egg cakes are soft, pillowy, and absolutely tasty. Enjoy!

Click Page 2 for the Mini Egg Cake (鸡蛋糕) Recipe

1. Betty Raymer says:

Translate into US measurements?

2. Pey-Lih says:

This is interesting! I have not seen this before. Is this equivalent to popovers? Just curious. I will make this recipe…looks very simple. Thanks for sharing!

3. Anna Bell says:

I agree with Betty Raymer. Translate into US measurements????

Also, what is castor sugar? Can the regular sugar work?

4. TorontoViewer says:

Sounds interesting. I’m going to try it! Do you think it would taste better with a touch of vanilla extract?

5. Maria says:

Hey, this is looking very yummi. Would you say it would also taste good with butter? If regular oil is a better option, will sun flower oil do?
    Thanks! :)

6. Rabi'ah Nawawi via Facebook says:

-_- okay Danial.

7. Never understood why baking is supposed to be so difficult. I’ve been baking since I was eight. In high school my marble cake was the hit of the bake sales. Oh, and I cook too.

8. Kris says:

Are these cakes similar to sponge cakes. My kids and I love to get the sponge cakes when we go to chinatown

9. Carmen says:

Any ideas on how I may purchase the individual 3.75 X 2-inch flora cupcake moulds that CP used? Who is the manufacturer? A Google search got me nowhere. They are adorable!

10. Yeni says:

Just made this one but didn’t check the comment section – I substituted icing sugar for castor sugar since it has the “fine” in it.. disastrous! the cupcake taste and look like dried cotton candy :(

11. annie lim says:

hi bee, it’s strange that my friend’s version is steamed and it tasted light and fluffy!

12. Jayne says:

I used to love these too. It’s either the Chinese styled baked egg cakes or the Malay kuih bahulu. Both are my favourite. I found the steaming one quite finicky because I can’t seem to figure out how to adjust my cooking time. I have got to try this. Pinning!

13. vintcc8 says:

Can you use/subsitutes with wholemeal flour instead of all purpose flour?

14. Ally says:

These look like a dessert served at a local Chinese restaurant called Love Cake. They are very moist and tender; delicious. Is it possibly the same thing?

15. CP is really a talented baker. Her bakes and stunning shots make me drool. These cakes are my all-time favourite too!

16. Nur Ainee Muhammad says:

Hi,

Just like to share what I know.

Castor sugar — you CANNOT substitute this with icing sugar as you need the sugar crystals to dissolve while whisking as this assists in the leavening (rising) of the cake later in the oven.

No you can’t substitute the all – purpose flour with wholemeal flour . You will not get a cake for sure. Flours have gluten and this differs greatly with different types of flour.

The addition of oil versus that of butter will give you a different texture. If you like for better flavour, you can perhaps melt the butter first. Adding fat in solid vs liquid form gives a very different result in tge final texture of the cake.

Hope my sharing helps.

Im going to try it this weekend.

Thanks Bee and CP for sharing.

Ainee

17. easterquiatchon says:

good evening, the recipe is quite simple… the moment i saw it i try it immediately but it doesn’t look the same in the picture. the taste is similar scramble egg. how would i achieve same finish product the ways you posted?

18. Jeannii Colbourne says:

This little cake reminds me of those small ones I ate growing up in Penang called Kueh Bulu or am I wrong to think that. I generally don’t like Asian cakes as they are too sweet & the flavours are very one dimensional . I am so pleased someone thought of using Daun pandan as a flavour & I am looking forward to trying it. How about using durians ?? I often make Curry puffs & I can eat the lot in one sitting . Can anyone advise me as to where I can get hold of Buah keras / candle nut . How long is one supposed to soak it for before use & do I have to grind it before I use it to cook. Thanks

19. Jeannii Colbourne says:

How can I This is the first time I have written oin any site !!

20. Geri says:

When I read “egg cake” I thought it might be something I order at the Asian restaurants in town. I’m asking a favor do you have a mini cake like your recipe only it’s light like a souffle. It is baked in rice paper or phyllo dough (squares or rounds) which are placed in muffin tins the edges stick up over the tin muffin cups. Lightly sweetened with a egg lemony flavor. Enjoy all of your recipes and other great information. Thanks

• Angela Sciurca says:

It seems you are looking for the Portugese Egg Tarts that the restaurants serve. My Chinese rest. serves them made in phylo wrappers and they have pineapple bits in them. If you google Egg Tarts you will find many versions.

21. zaidey says:

Mrs Bee, is this is in anyway related to kuih bahulu/kueh baulu? the recipe is quite similar it seems?

22. mee says:

I just made these tonight. I also thought they would be like those “paper wrapped cakes” from Asian bakery. After taste testing the finished product, it reminded me of egg rolls cookie. Yummy nonetheless.

23. Simly says:

I tried but my mini cakes are a little hard. What have I done wrong?

24. Kelly Tring says:

Hi,

Love it look so yummy.
    Can you please tell me where can I purchase those mini cupcake mold?

Kelly

25. Paul says:

I so much appreciate the metric values, the American system is so pathetically out of date, so hideously inaccurate. Thank you.

26. Anita Yee via Facebook says:

Looks good! I noticed on the recipe that it just says oil for one of the ingredients. Which type of oil do you recommend to use?

27. Joy says:

Mine was also a bit hard. Could it be that I over-baked it or over-whisked the mixture? Delicious nonetheless, but not soft and pillowy. Definitely trying again when I miss some childhood food!

• Joy says:

I tried these again. And I succeeded. I had whipped the eggs with a mixer the first time. This time, I whipped with all my arms’ strength at medium speed. Never knew I could do that with all my might~ Yummy!

28. dan says:

I made this recipe last Saturday. It was a nice cake consistency that tasted like sweet eggs. Mines took longer than 20 minutes to bake. Maybe it was because I was using a large toaster oven but it was fine. I put a few drops of olive oil in the foil cups before putting the batter in there. It ended up making 15 muffins.

29. MaomaoMom says:

Very nice one, looks like the cake that I had as a child.

30. Jessica says:

Hi Bee,

Do you happen to know where your friend gets the cake tins/moulds? I could not find them even on Amazon.

Thanks,
    Jess

31. doris says:

Hi. Tried your recipe with some modification.
    Used super fine flour instead as I don’t have baking powder, the cake turned out so nice (crisp at the outer layer but soft inside). Will try again tonight with baking powder to see the result.
    Lovely, my families loved it. Finished all of them rigth after baking.

32. Philip says:

Thanks for the recipe. Will it be OK to use 100% silicone reusable bake cups instead of the floral cups?

33. AsTheNight says:

I made these today – quite easy, very nice! They have a sweet/dense/light taste that I found a bit unusual, but in a very good way. Thanks!

34. Niki Loh says:

I’ve ran out of all-purpose flour so I used self-raising flour and omit baking powder. When I checked them at 18 mins, it was already done and it is a tad dry (should have check at 15 mins). It tasted nice but I might eat it warmed up with a little jam.

BTW, I’ve bought your cookbook and I love it, it is the most used cookbook. I’m looking forward for your next cookbook and I’m hoping that you’ll do a Malaysian cookbook. Keep going with what you are doing because you are fabulous at it.

35. Carol says:

I am of fun of yours and followed your site wherever I am. I love this recipe. It is not sweet. Its just right. Merci!

36. Melissa says:

Just baked this. It is delicious, I finished 3 in 5 minutes, too much huh. hahaha… I used olive oil and reduce 1 oz of sugar, my doctor told me to go slow on sugar… not doing so good with sugar today, anyway, will bake this again very soon and this time I use butter. Thanks Bee for sharing and I love all your recipes. You are awsome!

37. Millicent says:

I made this today and mine turned out quite dry and too sweet. I was expecting a soft and fluff texture. How should the texture be anyway? If this recipe is anything like (or close to) those Malaysian egg cake that I used to have as a child then mine was a disappointment. I wonder what went wrong with mine. Besides, I think this recipe could do with a bit less sugar.

• Yeak says:

Yeah this recipe definitely is wrong. First the sugar amount too much. I have cut to 80g only. Next, shifting in flour turn fluffy beaten eggs no longer fluffy. Like dough. Add oil last make it even doughy. The result of the baking… hard like stone. I think must beat yolk and white separately and fold in stiff egg white last, same method like doing chiffon cake. Will try this later and see if that work as expected.

• Hi Yeak, this recipe has been tested twice and it works fine and many people who have tried had success. Sugar – the sweetness level of sugar used might be different from countries to countries. Hope it works for you the next time.

• Yeak says:

Thanks for your assurance that this method work. I tried again and found my earlier mistakes. This time I see something I have never seen before! This time the batter come out alright and I am too excited to write this comment. I learn baking myself without attending any class. So cannot imagine what it would be like or any special technique. Thanks again. It works. :-)

38. bhua says:

hi bee, i had tried this recipe twice but don’t understand why it always ended up to be hard. pls enlighten me.

• Cin says:

Perhaps you don’t remove them from the mould immediately after baking, or maybe the oven temperature is off? Start checking on them before time. When I bake and it turns out hard it is usually because of that.

39. Tingting says:

Hi just wanted to say your site has been a savior ever since I’ve been Down Under these past few months! Tried baking this today, like the previous comment said mine were also crisp on the outside and fluffy soft on the inside, absolutely delicious! Yup at first touch I was quite worried that they felt so hard but munching into one all my worries evaporated :)

40. Fi says:

What is granulated sugar?

41. June says:

Hi Rasa,
    Can i use cake flour instead of all purpose flour?

42. Pingback:Earl Grey… | band of color

43. Pingback:Earl Grey 鸡蛋糕 | Tee & Joy Odyssey

44. Yewns says:

Hi from Johor Baru, Bee!
    Tried this recipe and the cake turned out fluffy but the tops browned nicely but it was a bit “crispy” a bit meringue-ish in texture. I reduced the sugar to 180gm as it is ..
    Any steer on what I should do to have the cakes turn up like yours?
    Ribuan Terima Kasih.

45. Jean says:

Hi,

You mentioned whisking the eggs and sugar till light and fluffy, may I know what that means? What do I look out for? Is it to beat the eggs and sugar till pale in colour and ribbon stage?

Thank you. =)

46. Vivien says:

I tried it, it did not turn out as nice as the ones in the picture…what’s good was it was not that sweet, but I am not sure how it should taste like, is it like “kueh bolu”?