My New Gear http://rasamalaysia.com/my-new-gear/
March 24th, 2007 22 Comments

My New Gear

Buy Now! Canon Digital Rebel XTI have been missing in action for a few days, you wonder why? I got my new gear–the spanking new and sparkling silver Canon Digital Rebel XT (gasp!)–and have been busy playing with it.

I have always wanted a better camera since I started this blog so this new toy actually means a lot to me. Well, first of all, I resolve to learn more about digital photography so I can churn out more droolsome, scratch-and-eat-from-the-monitor-worthy food pictures. Other than that, this camera also marks my virgin exploration into the world of SLR (single-lens reflex).

So, what does it mean to you? Just think better photography here on Rasa Malaysia. Now, isn’t that great or what?

Here are some of my sample shots. I am very excited of what lies ahead. Are you? ;)

More Easy and Delicious Recipes:

Excited, excited!REBEL, huh…for us to rebel when we see more of your pretty and yummy food, yet cannot eat…
    Me still using Aseries Powershot, big and chunky. Limited macro-focus.

2. Rasa Malaysia says:

Tiga, ho ho ho, I am too excited with my new toy…you should buy one too. Anyone can take great and professional photos with the right gear/equipment! :)

3. Wandering Chopsticks says:

RM,
    It’s a good thing I can’t gain weight from looking at your pictures or else I’d be really worried!

4. Chubbypanda says:

Hmm… Maybe I’ll buy one too. I’ve been less and less satisfied with the quality of my photos. The only problem is, how do I take stealth photos in restaurants with something that large…

5. stef says:

Congrats on the new camera! Nothing like a new toy, huh? Although I must say, your pics have always been beautiful…

6. MQ says:

I have a Nikon D50 but rarely take food picture using it because it’s too bulky for my hand..I used Sony T30 instead..

I think for macro shot, the Sony T30 works better but for photo editing nothing can beats SLR.

BTW, do you take yr pics in RAW format, you can adjust the lighting etc later..that’s the advantages of having SLR camera..hehehe..

n’way was it maggi goreng? it looks yummy.. :)

7. suanne says:

He, he, now that you have a rebel XT, the next thing is you would want better lens, just like Ben,,, no ends.

8. Jackson says:

wow….new toy huh!! Can’t wait to see the new food picture!!

9. Kok says:

Rasa M’sia,
    I also want a new camera! haha! Looking forward for some nice pictures!:)

10. Allan Yap & Nigel A. Skelchy says:

Hey RM, congrats. In Asia I think that camera is either the 350D or th3 400D

Good cam.

Nigel

11. Keropok Man says:

ooo… new toy!

yes, in asia its not called rebel, but a nicer name, but same thing ;-)

12. UnkaLeong says:

Wondering if you got that something else you were thinking of getting :) I best go sign up for the scratch and sniff monitor promo. Hahaha :P

13. Tummythoz says:

Wow. Looks so pro!

14. BuddingCook says:

very nice! :) can’t wait to see more scrumptious delights..

15. pablopabla says:

Nevermind the food. The visual feast is filling liao ;)

16. Tsu Lin says:

Your photography skills has already been yummylicious even before you got this gear… but hoorah to you! Congrats.

17. Ben says:

Suanne told me you got a new camera today.
    I am impressed! Pretty nice shots. What lens do you use for these shots? The bokeh on the flower macros looked so good. Lots of things to learn … am gonna post something about HDR tomorrow … if you don’t already know this, check it out. You would be amaze with some of the possibilities.
    Enjoy!
    Ben :-)

18. Chris says:

Wa lau eh, new camera, Simon Yam must have done a very good job in the Canon’s advertisement. LOL

Did you get it from M’sia or the states?

19. Rasa Malaysia says:

Wandering Chopstix – LOL! :P

CP – I really think DSLR is a great investment. I got it for less than $600, plus I found it to be easy-to-use even though I have never used an SLR. Yeah, but the problem is the size, but I guess you can just make believe that you are a real food critic with a real gear when you shoot in restaurants. :P

Stef – thanks you are so sweet and kind. Hopefully I will be able to take even better pictures with this new camera. :)

MQ – thanks for your RAW tip I will have to try. Yep, it was Indomie…you were very close. :)

Suanne – LOL…I already have a new lense that I wanted to buy.

Jackson – have you seen the new pictures yet? What you think? ;)

Kok – yes, new things are cool.

Allan – yes, I got a 350D because 400D is like US$300 more expensive!

Unka – I got all the things I wanted liao so now very pok kai (poor) already.

BC – :)

Pablo – yeah keh? Seeing pictures also make your stomach full? :P

Tsu Lin – thanks. I was very happy with my old camera being the fact that it’s just a point-and-shoot, but I felt limited by it because there are only a couple angles that I can shoot with. With DLSR, I can explore with wider angles and such. :)

Ben – thanks…yes, those flower close-ups were like my very first experiments. I just went outside my house, shoot around, and wow, I was impressed. Must be enough natural lights. Will check out your post soon. :)

Chris – I got it from the US, from my Rasa Malaysia store, isn’t that neat? ;)

20. Audrey Cooks says:

Cool! congrats! Looks like you have stepped over to the professionals side which I am very much afraid to tip toe into!

21. normikanik@yahoo.com says:

Hi Rasa Malaysia,

Photography is one of my passion and writing is one of my natural gift (as somebody believed I am!). I liked your site,simple, informativem words carefully used and selected (without any air of arrogance whatsoever). For me this is real blogging and not a “bragging” kinda thingy. You know what I mean?! :-)

Anyways, been planning to buy an SLR camera too but still thinking about it really hard coz I know it will not just end when I started it…he..he.. my husband for sure will get nuts when he see me with a new camera!! Do you know of any difference between Canon REbel XTi and Canon Rebel XT? Silly question but a feedback from an expert user like you for sure will help me make up my mind.

Cheers!
    Normikanik

22. wie says:

Awesome camera!!!

I just got the XTi myself. =) I hadn’t playing with it as much as I would like though.

Please also share your experience in exploring the photography field… =)