I am so thrilled that I am featured on Design Sponge, the mega home design website that everyone loves. Since Lunar New Year is around the corner, I decided to make pan-fried pork, shrimp, and cabbage dumplings.
I had a lot of fun creating and devouring the dainty and delicious pan-fried dumplings. This recipe will be excellent for Lunar New Year because dumplings are a must-have as the shape of the dumplings appear like Chinese ingots, so having dumplings signify a prosperous year ahead with loads of fortune and money!
Head over to Design Sponge now to see the complete feature with more photos.
Makes 24 dumplings
1 pack dumpling wrappers (round-shaped) or homemade dumpling wrappers
oil, for pan-frying
150 ml water, for steaming
Chinese black vinegar or ponzu, for dipping
For the Filling:
8 oz ground pork
4 oz shelled and deveined shrimp, cut into small pieces
2 oz cabbage, finely shredded
1 heaping teaspoon grated ginger
1 heaping teaspoon chopped scallion
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon Shaoxing wine
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
3 dashes white pepper
Pinch of salt
1. Prepare the filling by combining all the ingredients together. Use a spoon to mix well.
2. To assemble the dumplings, place a piece of the wrapper on your palm and spoon 1/2 heaping tablespoon of the filling onto the center of the wrapper. Do not overfill.
3. Dip your index finger into a small boil of water and moisten the outer edges of the wrapper.
4. Fold the dumpling to form a half-moon shape and pinch the edges backward to look like a Chinese ingot. Press and seal tightly. Arrange the wrapped dumplings on a plate lined with parchment paper to avoid the dumpling from sticking to the bottom of the plate. Repeat previous steps until the filling is used up.
5. Heat some oil in a small skillet or pan over medium heat. Arrange 8 dumplings on the skillet or pan. Pan-fry the dumplings until the bottom turns light brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Add 50 ml water to the skillet or pan and turn the heat to high. Cover the skillet or pan with its lid and let steam. Turn the heat back to medium as soon as the water has completely evaporated.
7. Add some oil to the pan again and continue to pan-fry the dumplings until the bottoms turn golden brown and become crispy.
8. Repeat steps 5–7 for the remaining dumplings.
9. Serve the dumplings warm with the dipping sauce of your choice.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water plus 1 teaspoon water
Extra all-purpose flour, for dusting and rolling
1. Combine the all-purpose flour and water and knead until the dough isn’t sticky and the surface becomes smooth. Cover it with a damp cloth and rest for 30 minutes.
2. Roll out the dough on a floured surface into a long cylinder.
3. Cut the cylinders in half, and then cut each cylinder into 12 small pieces.
4. Dust the rolling pin and roll each piece of the dough into a dumpling wrapper about 4 inches in diameter. Set aside for the filling.
Limited Time Offer: $5.99 only. Available for download WORLDWIDE!
**Use it on Your Tablet, Mobile Phone, Desktop or Laptop**
Article printed from Rasa Malaysia: http://rasamalaysia.com
Copyright © 2015 Rasa Malaysia. All rights reserved.