Butter Cake Recipe http://rasamalaysia.com/recipe-butter-cake/
January 23rd, 2013 181 Comments

Butter Cake Recipe

Butter Cake
Butter Cake pictures (1 of 6)

(This is the BEST butter cake recipe ever. Updated with new photos. Originally published in 2008.)

Even though I am still a rookie in the baking department, I am slowly but surely getting the hang of things, especially baking cakes.

I love baking cakes; I find it rather easy, well, if I choose a simple recipe. I especially enjoy baking cakes in the weekends because nothing tastes better than a cup of hot coffee with a freshly baked cake—while I read through my magazines or newspaper on a Sunday morning. And then, on Monday, I can heat up my leftover cake in the microwave for 10 seconds and have myself a nice breakfast to beat my Monday blues and start off my hectic work week on the right foot. I love cakes, and now I love baking them.

One of the cakes I absolutely love is butter cake–plain old simple but always good butter cake. It calls for really common ingredients that everyone has in their fridge or pantry, and that totally fits my bill in terms of convenience.

For butter cake, I used to cheat with store-bought yellow cake mix—Duncan Hines, Pillsbury, or Betty Crocker. Now I can just bake butter cake at home.

Love Baking? Try these baking recipes from Rasa Malaysia.

1. Raisin Butter Cake
  2. Banana Nut Muffin
  3. Banana Bread (Banana Cake)
  4. Butter Cookies
  5. Pound Cake
Click Page 2 for the Butter Cake Recipe Recipe

1. Veron says:

Those butter cake slices look so appetizing with afternoon coffee right now.

2. Love_at_first_bite says:

Hey RM – I don’t know how you do it but I want to make all your posts. I have a big pot of shrimp stock i made last night in the fridge for Hokkien Mee this week. I can’t wait to see how your recipe turns out for me but now I’m craving dumplings and butter cake and I haven’t even had my noodles! Maybe i can make the cake for dessert and have the dumplings next week. Keep up the great work!

3. Maya says:

Coffee and cake…sigh..sounds fabulous especially for breakfast!!!

4. Kevin says:

The butter cake looks good! I have never made butter cake. I want to start doing some more baking.

5. Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) says:

You’re inspiring me to do some baking — these are the kinds of cakes that are wonderful to have on hand when friends drop in for afternoon tea. Some day I will bake and bake, and fill my freezer!

6. Mansi Desai says:

Some things are best left simple! this looks great Bee:)

7. Manggy says:

Thay’s a good simple recipe :)
    Cake for breakfast! That sounds like me a few years ago.. :p

8. Claude-Olivier says:

very simple, but so good. You could also add lemon juice or rhum ;-)

9. Kok says:

rasa malaysia,
    Wow, you’re into baking now? It’s sure a breakthrough since you only cook and no bake previously. I think baking is simpler. hehe. Enjoy!:)

10. daphne says:

i agree. Love a good old butter cake. It’s classic!

11. Piggy says:

Gong xi fa cai!

butter cake is my all time favourite too! :-)

12. Nic (KHKL) says:

nothing like a simple yet hearty cake to go with that cup of hot coffee (or tea), eh? a very versatile cake too, i must say.

tad late but still, happy chinese new year, rasa malaysia!

13. Syrie says:

lovely! You don’t look like a rookie to me. I love cake too, especially butter cake and tea cake.

14. mimi says:

I just bake a butter cake 2 months ago :) I like to bake too but sometimes lazy to clean up the messy after the baking…haha

15. didally says:

Nice food styling as always. I am tempted to do some baking now. Haha..

16. Dhanggit says:

well your butter cake looks too “pro” for a rookie in the baking department :-) i must admit i always love staring at your photos..coz even if i cant taste them for real the photos give real justice to their taste
    :-) i love this butter cake simple and perfect for our tea breaks

17. Misato says:

Hi,i am from Singapore. I have just started to learn how to bake. I would like to try out yr butter cake receipe. I am not sure whether i can get all purpose flour. Can i check is it ok if i substitute with cake flour? Thanks. Happy New Year!

18. aiknhoon says:

Tried your recipe last night with the help of my 3 year old son. It turned out very good! Yum!

19. East Meets West Kitchen says:

Yum! Butter Cake!
    Happy Valentine’s Day!

20. Tny says:

Butter cake resepi?!
    I wanna try it [someday] hehehe ;)

21. MyF says:

butter cakes, butter biscuits, i love ‘em all!

22. Brilynn says:

Given the amazing things you cook up I have no doubt you will soon show us your full prowess in baking too!

Wow, this recipe looks great! I’ll try to do it during weekend :)

24. Annie says:

Hi Rasa, My mum has a great butter cake recipe and it’s really simple but very, very buttery. If you want, I’ll email it to you. That was one of the first cakes I ever baked and until now, it’s one of those cakes that I can whip up without a recipe on hand.

• esther says:

Hi Annie, i would love to have your mom’s butter cake recipe.
      Appreciate it!
      I’ve been trying to bake a simple yet good (buttery & moist) butter cake for ages.

25. Mareza says:

love all your recipe, you are making me hungry……
    my husband says i’m hungry because of you.
    i’m going to try the shrimp recipes and cake,
    yum.

26. Marilee says:

Your butter cake recipe is awesome!! I can hardly wait to hase some in the morning with my cup of tea.

27. Laila says:

I didnt know butter cake was easy to make until i came across your butter cake recipe.

28. Pat Gan says:

Thanks for the fabulous recipe, extremely easy and tasty!!! Love it!!!

29. Caroline says:

Hi!

CAn i replace all-purpose flour with spelt flour?

30. Caroline says:

Hi,

i have tried your recipe. The color of the cake looks good. I followed the instruction until to the part where i had to grease and flour the base. I baked it for 60 mins but the bottom half have a layer of slight soggy. Could you advise on what is the cause of it?

31. saree says:

i love baking. i am a certified accountant and gave it up for baking goodies to sell. i did good but other preoccupations kept it on hold. i love butter cake. you can give it a rum glaze to make it better.

32. Annie says:

Hi RM, I L-O-V-E all your recipes! I am an Malaysian now residing in Istanbul, Turkey. Though I can’t try all your recipes (too bad that I can’t find certain ingredients here in Istanbul), just looking at the photos helps to quench the thirst, well, the appetite. Haa. Just a question, the oven degree used in your baking recipes, in Ferenheit or Celsius? Big Hugs!

33. dana says:

It would be good if the measurement for butter cake recipe is in weight. How much is 3/4 cup butter? 250 g?

Thanks

• Spadge says:

Don’t know to be sure, but try looking for a fairy cake recipe and doing some simple maths might be the best bet, remember a simple fairy or sponge cake is a simple mix.

4442, that’s 4oz(100g) Flour, Butter, Sugar to 2 eggs. From that should be able to work it out.

34. vanny says:

Have tried this recipe of yours yesterday, my family really enjoyed it!!

35. I try to bake your buttter cake,according to recipes.it turn out inside so wet.200 temp
    60mins.please do let me know what wrong baking.
    thanks,
    winnie

36. Maria says:

That is a very good recipe. I actually added a little bit of ginger (which is good for the digestive) and it came out tasting delicious!

37. Peng says:

This is the third butter cake recipe I’ve tried and I’m still having trouble figuring out why they all turned out wet but cooked on the inside. This recipe was edible albeit looked totally different from the picture posted. How do you get a butter cake to turn out fluffy and dry? Can somebody with experience pls advise?

• Hi Peng, I am not sure why. The only reason I can think of is the butter because different butter has different water/moisture level. If yours is too wet, then use lesser butter. I always use this recipe and it works fine for me, just as pictured.

• Peng says:

I’m beaming from ear to ear as I write this because I’m now able to savour this butter cake in its true form. Thank you for the advise. I reduce the butter by a third and I believe this is it. The butter I use really do have a higher moisture level than ordinary butter. I noticed that when I tried making some crumble for an apple crumble. The butter cake tastes truly truly wonderful – I’m happy again. Thank you so much for the recipe and advise – it tastes as good as it looks!

38. Tracy says:

Hi there, I tried this recipe a few times by using creaming method and works fine! Thanks =) Was just wondering that you said put all ingredients and just beat until smooth, approx. for how long please? I tried it today, its not as fluffy because I think I either over beat or not beat enough, thanks =)

39. zat says:

hi, I have been following your blog quite some time. I am very amazed by your great and stylish food photography. I have been learning baking myself. However, after a short hiatus due to laziness, I lost the connection with my oven and when I started baking again, everything does not turned out well. All my cakes were either burned but still damp on the bottom, does not rise even though I have put baking powder, still smell of eggs, texture of the cake is brittle..and the list go on. I don’t know what was wrong, is it my ingredients or my oven..or my bad baking skill…
    Regarding the simple butter cake recipe above, can u explain a little bit more on the technique. Is is as easy as putting ALL ingredient all at once and mix them up? or creme the butter and sugar first. I’m confuse :P I hope you can help me in baking even a simple cake recipe. Thank youu

• I am not much a baker and I have no patience when it comes to baking. I always mix everything together at one shot and it works. I also creamed and sugar and butter first at other attempts and I don’t notice any difference. The key to a great butter cake is a very good butter. That’s all.

40. Grace says:

I have tried several of your recipes, and all of them are so tasty. I find myself coming back to your site for more and more recipes. Thank you so much for being so reliable and credible! :)

Would you help me with some baking tips? I live in Trondheim, Norway. Are there any tips for baking during winter in this cold country? I tried banana cake and butter cake last week. Both of them rose well while in the oven baking, but immediately sinked when taken out from the oven. Was it because of the drastic change of temperature? How is it to make them remain fluffy?

Nevertheless, they taste great! Husband loves them, and friends start asking for recipes. :)

• Hi Grace – thanks for your comment and I am glad you love my cakes recipes. I am actually not much a baker and not sure about Norway’s weather, but I heard that when the cake has already risen, and it’s about to be done, you want to open the oven door a little bit to let the pressure/heat out so they won’t “sink” as much. Try it, I hope it works. :)

• Peter Kong says:

Everything expands when heated and contracts when cooled.

Try opening oven door slightly for 2-5 minutes for the heat to escape then close the oven door without taking out the cake and wait for the temperature to be reasonably cool before taking the cake out into the cold air.

I believe this can solve your problem. Let us know how it turns out next time you bake.

41. em says:

this cake was very simple but very tasty. just a few changes though: i used 3 eggs and 1 teaspoon baking powder. i threw everything into the bowl and mixed them until thoroughly incorporated (about 5 minutes or so), baked and sliced. the whole thing disappeared within minutes. thanks for the recipe.

42. Amanda says:

i have my butter cake still baking in the oven, i hope it turns out nice!!

43. Murthy says:

This is the first cake I have ever baked! Followed your recipe to the letter and turned out great. Can’t wait to try some of your other recipes. Thanks a bunch.

44. yvonne says:

I just made this as well as your banana bread for my family, and let me just say….it was an absolute HIT!!!! My dad even said it tasted better than my moms (: Thank you so much

45. Meriam says:

I bake this today but I dont know whats wrong because it doesn’t rise. I used the self rising flour. Do i still need to put a baking powder on it? And after mixing it and put on the baking pan do I need to wait a couple of minutes before putting to the oven. Pls answer me…

46. Caroline says:

How much is 3/4 cup butter in grams??

47. Rani says:

How much 1 cup in grams please help anybody i want to try this cake today

48. Aleksandr says:

A cake looks very appetizingly, hope that the same and to the taste. In a weekend will make attempt necessarily.

49. Raj says:

I tried your butter cake yesterday, taste was good I liked it but there was a crack in the middle of the cake when the was rose.Why is this? Please tell me if anybody knows.

50. Adelene says:

Hi, i’m tried to bake it but inside the cake color turns brownish not like in the photo. The cake is also not evenly raised. I’m a newbie in this. May I know what went wrong? Which brand of butter did you use everytime to make this butter cake? Pls guide.