Butter Cake Recipe http://rasamalaysia.com/recipe-butter-cake/
January 23rd, 2013 195 Comments

Butter Cake Recipe

Butter Cake
Butter Cake pictures (1 of 6)

(This is the BEST butter cake recipe ever. Updated with new photos. Originally published in 2008.)

Even though I am still a rookie in the baking department, I am slowly but surely getting the hang of things, especially baking cakes.

I love baking cakes; I find it rather easy, well, if I choose a simple recipe. I especially enjoy baking cakes in the weekends because nothing tastes better than a cup of hot coffee with a freshly baked cake—while I read through my magazines or newspaper on a Sunday morning. And then, on Monday, I can heat up my leftover cake in the microwave for 10 seconds and have myself a nice breakfast to beat my Monday blues and start off my hectic work week on the right foot. I love cakes, and now I love baking them.

One of the cakes I absolutely love is butter cake–plain old simple but always good butter cake. It calls for really common ingredients that everyone has in their fridge or pantry, and that totally fits my bill in terms of convenience.

For butter cake, I used to cheat with store-bought yellow cake mix—Duncan Hines, Pillsbury, or Betty Crocker. Now I can just bake butter cake at home.

Love Baking? Try these baking recipes from Rasa Malaysia.

1. Raisin Butter Cake
  2. Banana Nut Muffin
  3. Banana Bread (Banana Cake)
  4. Butter Cookies
  5. Pound Cake
Click Page 2 for the Butter Cake Recipe Recipe

1. esther says:

So do u suggest I use unsalted butter or reduce. My margarinne to 225g or 200grams….I like the taste too,but my ppeps said its too oily I als notice wen you take a chunk and squeeze the oil comes out…

2. esther says:

The cake normalized today….it was really tasty….I think I will teach my students this but if I reduce the butter to 225grams will it affect its out come?

3. Nadine says:

Hi Do you use bleached or unbleached all purpose flour for this recipe? Thanks

4. Yvonne says:

Hey your butter 2 and 1/3 stick ( 250gm) means 250 x 2 and 1/3 ? 583gm of butter?

5. Yvonne says:

what -.- our butter is one stick 227 gm, and i followed ur 2 and 1/3 stick. ruined my cake

• Yvonne, I am so sorry to hear that. This website is in US measurement because I am based here and the 1 stick of butter here is very small…in the recipe it says 2 1/3 stick butter (250g).

6. Pingback:Baking Corner: Butter Cake | Ripples of Truth

7. Sam says:

Hi, what pan size should I use?

8. ong says:

Hi, i just baked. taste is good. however the inner texture doesn’t like a cake, how could it so?
    Besides reducing 200g sugar to 100g, everything exactly the same.

9. Ver says:

Hi Bee, thanks for the recipe it smells & tastes absolutely yummy. However, the bottom part of my cake came out looking undercooked, very moist, but skewer comes out clean. I have a oven thermometer so I don’t think it’s the oven temp, I’ve tried baking longer but it stays the same. Is there any other possible reasons about this? Thanks.

10. Ann Damirez says:

Would that be okay even without vanilla essence? I couldn’t find it here in Taiwan. i just got vanilla powder.

Thank you!

11. rachael lo says:

hi can i know what is the difference in using milk or yogurt to make this cake.

12. subi says:

Can u give the measurement by cups… Flour sugar magarin

13. Leslie says:

Would anyone know if using a gluten-free flour blend might work?

14. Leslie says:

Would anyone know if using a gluten-free flour blend would work?

15. MrsLim says:

Thanks for the recipe. It was soooo delish my colleagues were raving about it and asked for the recipe. Hopefully I can taste theirs soon. :)

16. Linda says:

Hi,
    Thank you for the recipe. The butter cake is so yummy!!

But I ran into a problem: every time I bake butter cake or pound cake, it’s always black on the outside, like overcooked? I have to cut that part and dump it.

I did follow the recipe and even lower my oven to 370 and 375 but it’s still ugly.

Thank you!

17. jolyn88 says:

i think the butter should be listed as “a total of 250gm” as 2 and 1/3 stick (250gm) makes people think that it’s 2 + 1/3 of a 250gm stick. I used almost 580gm of butter as well. everything wasted. =(

18. April says:

Hi there. Can I use Cake Flour instead of AP flour?

19. Dee says:

Just made the cake today using your receipe. I used the yogurt option. Used170 fan forced for about fifty mins. Perfect! Thank you!

20. sharon says:

hi i tried your cake last year & decorated it with butter cream, it was wonderful.on June 17th my second daughter’s 1st birthday, so my hubby asked me to go for yours then i tried yesterday but it didn’t turn out good like before.i can see small i mean very very tiny lumps all over the cake.
    secondly according to Australian cup 250ml i did last year cake.
    but this time i did measuring on scale as i found American cups are different to Australian cups.
    what i observed was cup measurement was so less than the scale measurement,for example 200gms crossed more than 250gms in my cup.may be i put 200gms according to scale but it may be 280 according to cup.
    i don’t know what was the reason & what to follow next time.
    i thought may be the lumps are bcoz of not mixing properly or more flour.i was scared that i may over mix as u said fold in the recipe.can i put more milk or can i mix for longer time.
    if u can plz help me.i know it was not your mistake.hope you understand.

• Hi Sharon, it’s the same recipe. You should just use the metric measurement, which will be the most precise. For the tiny lumps, they are the flour, so please sift the flour twice for the best results. Don’t add more milk but mix it slightly longer to dissolve all the lumps. Good luck! PS: Yes all measurements are in US cups on Rasa Malaysia.

• sharon says:

thank you for your reply & understanding, you are so quick in replying. any way the lumps are so tiny so i will follow as you said.thank you for the detail recipe.today morning my hubby eat the cake & said its so delicious & the tiny lumps are not really visible.i mean no one will no if i don’t tell them.
        so i can double or triple the recipe right?
        keep up the good work.may god bless you.thanks in advance.

• Yes you can double or triple the recipe but depending on your pan, you might need to adjust baking time. Easiest is to buy a few loaf pans and bake a few of them at once. You should try my marble cake recipe, similar. Just search on the top right on my site for the recipe.

21. Mabel says:

Hi! I was thinking of trying your recipe tonight. Husband has been asking for butter cake for a long time! My first time baking with yogurt, so may I know what type of yogurt you used? I only have Greek yogurt at home at the moment. Is it ok? Or is there modification needed? I like milk flavour too. How to mix the two of them in your recipe? Thank you!

22. Cindy says:

Hi Bee, thanks for the recipe. I baked a butter cake using your recipe (with a few accidental tweaks) and my friends loved it. Instead of using only AP flour, I mixed AP flour and self-raising flour. It worked. I didn’t have an electric mixer, so I microwaved the butter for less than a minute to soften it and pour it into the caster sugar then hand-mixed them. And I mistakenly added the milk to the mix prior to the flour part. I appreciate your recipe a great deal. Haha. Made my day when my friends, especially the Italian friend, said it’s very hard to bake a cake so fluffy inside. So it means you did a splendid job writing the recipe/method. I did freak out a little when the top was turning too brown but it wasn’t totally cooked inside, but my housemate suggested I reduced the heat a little. It worked out alright. So thanks!!! :D

23. Vijaya says:

Hi…Need to use baking powder?

24. Kat says:

Can I use this recipie for a birthday cake with frosting?

Thanks