Yakitori Recipe (Grilled Chicken Meat Balls)
and Updates on Facebook Daily!
Recipe: Grilled Chicken Meat Balls (Yakitori)
11 oz skinless chicken (minced)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons plain (all-purpose) flour
2 teaspoons corn starch
6 tablespoons dried bread crumbs
2 inches fresh ginger root (grated)
For the “tare” yakitori sauce:
4 tablespoons sake
5 tablespoons shoyu (soy sauce)
1 tablespoon mirin
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon corn starch blended with 1 teaspoon water
- Put all the ingredients for the chicken balls (except the ginger) in a food processor and blend well.
- Wet your hands and scoop about a tablespoonful of the mixture into your palm. Shape it into a small ball about half the size of a golf ball.
- Squeeze the juice from the grated ginger into a small mixing bowl. Discard the pulp.
- Add the ginger juice to a small pan of boiling water. Add the chicken balls and boil for about 7 minutes, or until the color of the meat changes and the balls float to the surface. Scoop out and drain on a plate covered with paper towels.
- In a small pan, mix all the ingredients for the yakitori sauce, except for the corn starch solution. Bring the mixture to boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes or until the sauce slightly reduced. Add the corn starch solution and stir until the sauce is thickened. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Thread 3-4 balls on to each bamboo skewer. Grill the skewers with an indoor grill or broiler or on a barbeque (preferred). Brush them with the yakitori sauce and turn the skewers frequently until the balls turn brown.
- Serve hot and sprinkle with shichimi togarashi (Japanese chile powder with sesame seeds) and some yakitori sauce if you like.
Other Japanese recipes:
More Easy and Delicious Recipes:
Sign Up for Email Updates
Enter your email for new updates: recipes, giveaways, and more!