Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits Recipe http://rasamalaysia.com/recipe-red-lobster-cheddar-bay-biscuits_05/
December 26th, 2013 142 Comments

Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits Recipe

Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits
Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits pictures (5 of 5)

This recipe was originally published on May 7, 2007. Updated with new photos. This Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits recipe has been pinned 83,000 times! With the recent news that Red Lobster might be closing its door forever, I thought many people would love to have the recipe. The Red Lobster biscuit mix is also available at Sam’s Club and Walmart now. Enjoy!

Truth be told, I am a food snob.

I shun away from chain restaurants—Cheesecake Factory, nah; The Olive Garden, meh; Denny’s, are you kidding me?! So, you have it, I am a food snob.

I avoid going to franchise or chain restaurants at all cost, well, unless I am starving or stuck in the middle of nowhere and the only restaurant in town is Applebee’s. Somehow, the notion of a huge restaurant empire scares me. I am afraid they are going to take over the world and infest the dining scenes with the likes of Planet Hollywood (are they still in business?) and Rainforest Cafe. I yearn for pure culinary originality and I champion epicurean creativity. Dining out is one of the most enjoyable and best things in the world, so a restaurant should be unique, possesses lots of character, and has its own identity (no cookie-cutter decor and menu, please!).

Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits

However, I have to admit that there is an exception. I go to Red Lobster, occasionally. As a seafood connoisseur, you must think that I go there for seafood, but no, I go there for the sole reason of stuffing myself silly with their biscuits.

Yep, you heard it right—those fluffy-cheesy-buttery-garlicky-fresh-off-the-oven world famous Red Lobster biscuits. (Red Lobster serves almost 1.1 million of their Cheddar Bay Biscuits every day.) You have the statistics, they are spectacular!

Wait a minute, didn’t I just proclaim that I don’t do chain restaurants? I can’t lose my integrity, but I am nuts for Red Lobster biscuits. What to do? What to do?

I made them, well, after hours of Googling for the secret and copycat recipe of Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits on the internet.

Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits

I don’t think I got the real “secret” recipe for Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits, but they were pretty darn good. In fact, they were about 85% close to the original in terms of taste and texture. That’s very good for a knock-off.

Disclaimer: This post was written in a deliberate tongue in cheek tone, and voices my personal preferences and opinions. If you love chain restaurants, please don’t get offended.

Click Page 2 for the Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits Recipe Recipe

1. Allan Yap & Nigel A. Skelchy says:

Hey Rasa ;-) Do you have a little space/studio to take your pics? Gorgeous. ;-)

You and your pics of course! ;-)

Congratulations. Just read your recipe for Stir Fried Bean Curd with Leek in Food blogs in the Sunday Metro/The Star.

Ms Food Snob, will you shun away from a person(like myself) who dines in chain restaurants, just occasionally? OOPS! :O

I’ve only tried those std breakfast biscuits just once and it was served cold…left me with no good impression of biscuits till now. Hmmm…with your biscuits – give me a poach egg and I wld enjoy my eggs benedict :D

Been searching for Red Lobster around my area so that I could try ..er….the lobster.

So, when are you opening a restaurant? Heyyo…when I read in the local newspapers just now and saw a restaurant Rasa Malaysian just opened (to replace the previous Penang Village), I thought it’s you leh! How come not you? Tiga thought Rasa Malaysia came over!

3. simcooks says:

Hey there, how’s the cheese taste in this recipe? I mean is it really strong taste of cheesy cheesy biscuits or just a hint of cheese? I am not a cheesy person (pun not intended), you see.

4. "Joe" who is constantly craving says:

haha yes i avoid chain restaurants when i can..unless its pretty good..

yeap i saw ur article..good job!

5. Stephanie says:

biscuit mix ….?? aghhh?!

6. New Kid on the Blog says:

Huh? Is there an article from Rasa Malaysia??

I like the way you write and the pictures that you take. It’s so nice and tempting.

wondering a quarter cup of butter is how many stick? melted a quarter teaspoon of garlic? how? thank you. by the way the pictures is real good. have u tried before? just want to tell you ….you are inteligent.

8. Lyrical Lemongrass says:

Lovely pics. They look so yummy too. I’m hungry lar.

9. Claude-Olivier says:

Et bien as always….you are the best, that’s for sure…once again, perfect pictures, and with the new java script, it looks really great..for the recipe, I will not find all the ingredients and that’s too bad..but you will cook that for me, no ??? ^__^

Biz
    Claude

10. lucia says:

hey, the lightbox feature is cool!

cheddar bay biscuits? haven’t heard of it before. from the look of the pics, i think i will love it

btw RM, yes saw your blog (one post) being featured in the star paper today.

11. Rasa Malaysia says:

Allan and Nigel – Thanks for your kind words but I do not have a little studio. I shoot all my pictures in my house and for this set, I shot them in my little patio. Thanks for sharing the good news, I called my sister right away after reading your comment. How exciting! :)

Tigerfish – hey, don’t get me wrong, I just don’t go to chain restaurants that much because of personal preference. For the same kind of money, I can eat at little restaurants. Aiya, can I sue Rasa Malaysian because they stole my TM, oh well, they are smart to add an “n” to the name!!

Sim – Just a tint of cheesy taste because I am not too big for cheese either, but this one has just the right amount without being too cheesy. :)

Joe – yes, me too, unless it’s really really good then I will try. Red Lobster’s seafood is not bad, but I prefer Chinese-style seafood because Red Lobster they mostly just boil or deep fry the seafood.

Stephanie – Yes! That’s why I said I didn’t find the real secret recipe. From the Reb Lobster’s website, it looks like they make everything from scratch so they must have their own proprietary biscuit mix.

New Kid on the Blog – LOL, I love your online moniker. Too funny, you had me at “Hanging Tough!” Hahaha. Thanks for your nice comment.

Anonymous – you can just guestimate. I think a quarter cup is like one bar (the shorter bar). Sorry, I had a typo about melted the garlic powder, I have fixed it. Thanks for your compliment. ;)

Lemongrass – Thanks! :)

Claude – Merci! I can take you to Red Lobster! LOL!

Lucia – I know, I spent the whole afternoon doing the code, hard work, I am glad it works now. Yeah, the article but I didn’t really submit my article to them and didn’t know until Allen and Nigel tipped me.

Haha, I know lah! Personally, I also prefer small little eateries with their own unique “character” and personality. Yest. was just at a small ramen shop opened by a Jap chef who is also a surfer. The whole eatery was managed by Japanese…very authentic! And love it!

Aiya…I am really waiting for Rasa Malaysia to open one day. WHen?

13. Oppss says:

OMG!!! my hubby loves this Red Lobster biscuits!!
    aiyaa.. shouldnt had read this post.. that means I gotta make some for him. he is trying his best to lose weight leh. >_<

14. Ben says:

Hi Rasa Malaysia: Your blog has been improving by leaps and bounds … I am impressed and wanted you to know that! The pictures you took were perfect … I like it a lot. The lightbox … is so cool.

BTW, I am “offended” by your food snob comments. :-) Just kidding. I am too much a cheapskate to avoid chain restaurants. He he he … I do think Cheesecake Factory is awesome!

Ben

15. fatboybakes says:

how come no lobster one in the ingredients?

16. babe_kl says:

thanks for the lead bee yinn, sighhh which means i have to buy the star as well on sundays?? grrr… as promised i give you a plug soon

17. team BSG says:

ok ok V too like original singular women ! but just like u chain ladies too ( can oso) if v re starving..

18. MeiyeN says:

nice one! congrats… your recipes featured in star paper yesterday! :D

19. Eileen says:

Hi Rasa,

Just wanted to thank you SOOO much! These were my favorite biscuits growing up, but I’ve had some pretty bad experiences at Red Lobster’s, so I haven’t hat these in a while.

Love it! Thanks TONS!

This is a great recipe! Btw, 1/4 cup butter is half a stick. Also, FYI, http://www.cdkitchen.com , click on “copycat recipes” and u will be amazed as what’s out there! U r right tho…I also prefer Chinese style seafood vs Red Lobster. Thx!!

21. Loren says:

Gorgeous Picture!
    We make these at home from time to time using a similar recipe. I think the trick is using Lawry’s Garlic Salt in place of the garlic powder. We have also found that experimenting with other types of cheeses and/or herbs take these little biscuits to an entirely different level and makes the ones at Red Lobster pale in comparison.

The only downside about making them at home is having to wash the dishes… So yes, even though they taste better at home, we too will sometimes break down and go to “The Lobster” just for the biscuits.

22. wmw says:

Congrats RM! This is a great start to what you wanted eh? :o)

23. sc says:

thanks for sharing this recipe. looks simple, maybe i’ll try bake this..:)..oh yeah, and congrats!

24. Kama says:

Aiya RM,

As a college student many, many, many moons ago, Denny’s was our favourite early, early morning hangout joint for cheese cakes and coffee after a night of mugging for exams. Only place we could afford ;-). So Denny’s is kinda special for me, nice memories.

Kama

25. Ming_the_Merciless says:

Where’s the lobster in the recipe? All I see are cheddar and a biscuit mix.

Just kidding! :-)

I love Red Lobster too. Actually, a friend and I love Olive Garden and Red Lobster. It’s not something we say out loud in public.

Great minds….
    I’ve had that recipe for months, just made them last night to go with some black bean soup. But I thought the mix looked a bit heavy and added a pinch of baking powder to make them a bit more fluffy.
    If this is as close as we can get to the real thing, I won’t be going to a Red Lobster any time soon. Of course I live in the middle of nowhere and there is no R.L. or ANY restaurants near here….I cook at home always.

27. BuddingCook says:

yummy you make me hungry! what a snob! j/k we hardly go to big chain restaurants. :D but we do eat at panera bread/chipotle but they aren’t considered restaurant/restaurants! no waiters. :D this looks tasty. and i love your new lightbox! very creative and nice pics.

28. Rasa Malaysia says:

Tiga – you invest ar? If you invest, then I open Rasa Malaysia restaurant, chain restaurants! :P

Oppss – No worries, they are not fattening one, so your hubby should be OK.

Ben – thanks for your compliments. :) Well, don’t get me wrong, I used to go to chain restaurants when in college but now I try not to go. ;)

FBB – lobsters will be coming soon to Rasa Malaysia, stay tuned.

Babe – nice chatting to you, no need lah, just go read it online.

Team BSG – there are so many good restaurants in Malaysia, no need to go chain restaurants lah.

Meiyen – Thank you. Yes, Allen and Nigel told me or else I wouldn’t know.

Eileen – you’re welcome. Now you can make your own Reb Lobster biscuits.

Anonymous – thanks, I will have to check out copycat recipes…

Loren – thanks for your garlic salt tip. :)

KM – thanks for the link!

WMW – hopefully it will turn into something I wanted. Well, baby steps, hehe.

SC – cool. Can you get the biscuit mix from KL?

Kama – when I was in college, used to eat Denny’s a lot until OD’ed, I guess that’s the reason why I try to shun away from them now. :P

Ming – you are in Manhattan, right? They have Red Lobster in Manhattan?

Anonymous – ooooh baking powder…yes, I love extra fluffy. Thanks for the tip.

BC – thanks. Yeah, I love lightbox. Very neat feature. Hehe.

29. msiagirl says:

They are really cute, especially with Lightbox – I think my kids will really like these (if I don’t put any parsley in…maybe paprika) – you can finally get bisquick here, so no excuse!

30. Peter Mavrik says:

You are a food snob but you use Bisquick and garlic powder? :-)

31. PrincessJournals says:

RM, i really dont like the biscuits here. my definition of biscuit wud be the cream crackers thingy or mah seng/hup seng. remember those? hehe. but i love the buns at olive garden esp when u eat them w tomato brushetta. sedap. ;)

32. fatboybakes says:

hey, RM, whats the best substitute to bisquick biscuit mix, since we dont have it here?

33. cooknengr says:

Hey, same feeling here. Red Lobster has the biscuit and don’t miss out on Sizzlers’ cheese toast.

34. sourrain says:

i love love love love Red Lobster yummilicious biscuits! I used to ta-pao the ‘complimentary’ biscuits home and slowly munch on it for the rest of the week:).

Will definately try it out- thank you so much for the recipie;been dreaming of red lobster biscuit for years

35. TekMaestro says:

My dear Rasa,

Thank you so much for your wonderful recipe for the RL Cheddar biscuits. I must ask you, now, are you familiar with those great cheddar & garlic mashed potatoes that Red Lobster used to serve (and unfortunately removed from their menu)? If you could provide that recipe, we would be eternally grateful.

36. Ilana says:

Hi, Rasa. I found your post while googling for the recipe. I have made a cheddar biscuit recipe tonight, from the King Arthur baking book. I’ll probably bake them tomorrow to go with some shrimp and fettucine.

Your pictures of the biscuits look amazing! I am a bit trashy when it comes to chain restaurants, though, and I have to admit, these biscuits are awesome!

I’ve linked to your post on my blog post. Hope that is OK.

Ilana

37. Ali says:

Ummm…I work in a Red Lobster kitchen…occassionally bake the biscuits…they use SOY CHEESE!!! So I am sure this recipe is much better, as good as they are at RL aka The Lobster Trap, Shrimp Shack, Dead Lobster, Lobster Hut, Crab Shack…

ok well i made urs and i must say very close to the reds, but i found that if u add just a bit of lemon juice to the butter mixture it tastes even more like the original

39. msiagirl says:

Hi! I wanted to leave a comment and say that my kids Love this recipe and they make a fuss to bake these all the time on the weekend! We add extra cheddar and paprika and mrs Dash for our fix. :)

I work for Red Lobster and I could tell you the real secret. make biscuits with cheese in them, yes. but no milk in the mix. Then scampi butter on top. That’s the real flavor that makes them Cheddar Bay Biscuits

41. vina says:

I tried this recipe and it was wonderful! Passed it on to my family too! Thanks!!

the red lobster biscuit taste really good and cheesy .it’s more like fry than baked.try using powder cheddar cheese and add a little more salt . if no milk was used and what is the liquid part? hmm… can the red lobster worker tell us ,pls?
    Diane

i read that they added a bit of clam juice to the batter

44. Sock Puppet says:

Hey!
    I am very sensitive to MSG and have found that most chain places use it like a main ingredient(RL’s scampi makes me very ill) thus I have had to become a bit of a food snob myself eating more local fare.
    My guess is that they use a version of the scampi broiling sauce to brush the bscuits with. It has a LOAD of MSG in it, so that would account for that hyper-flavoring on top.
    Whoever suggested lemon/salt/butter garlic combo is probably closest without resorting to Accent/MSG – which is not allowed in my house.
    I can’t wait to try (the biscuits) at home. Like you – they’re my FAV!

45. Kathleen says:

I work for Red Lobster, and found the recipe from our site.

Tools: mixing bowl, rubber spatula, ice water, scale, oven mitts, digital clocks, rubber gloves, 1 1/2 oz scoop, patty paper, magic marker, bread paper, bread pan, bread pitcher

Batch Size: 1X
    Yield: 42 biscuits
    Ingredients: Biscuit Mix 1 bag, 6 oz of Shredded Cheddar Cheese, 22fl oz of Ice cold water (32-40 F)

Instructions:
    Mixing dough
    -use bread pitcher, add cold water to dry mix
    -mix until all flour is no longer visible
    -scrape each 1 1/2 oz scoop of bread dough against the side of bowl until you have 5 rows of 4 on each tray.
    -dip scoop in water occasionally to prevent dough from sticking to scoop.
    -bread should be baked within 10 minutes after mixing

Baking
    -bake for appx 5 min then rotate and bake for appx 5 more minutes (doesn’t say waht temperature, so you probably have to keep a close eye the 1st time)

Never mind,it says 400-425 F convection oven

After baking I always see the bakers liberally spreading butter over the biscuits and sprinkling dry parsley over it.

Good luck guys.

46. syrie says:

ha! Great Post and wow what a scone!

To what Kathleen says about the RL biscuit recipe. The mix comes premade to the store, they just add cheese and water. It’s premade people! How do I know? My husband is a GM at RL!

My husband loves RL cheddar bay biscuits but hate seafood. Now i can make these myself at home. Thanks for the cheddar bay biscuits recipe.

49. Melissa says:

I wonder if you should maybe try using some garlic salt instead of powder, or maybe half and half? They always seem quite salty to me. Maybe this is the key. :)