Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken Recipe http://rasamalaysia.com/recipe-vietnamese-lemongrass-chicken/
October 16th, 2007 106 Comments

Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken Recipe

Lemongrass Chicken
Lemongrass Chicken pictures (3 of 4)

I told you about clearing out my fridge in my last post, so this is the second installment where I used the leftover lemongrass, shallots, and chicken breasts as the main ingredients.

I found this Vietnamese lemongrass chicken recipe on a recent copy of Food & Wine magazine–an article about Vietnamese recipes. I believe this is not the most authentic lemongrass chicken recipe around, but it worked out really well and I enjoyed it, especially the caramelized sweet taste of this dish.

Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken

I am not going to write a lengthy post because of some last-minute shopping that I have to do, but I shall leave you with this wonderful recipe of Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken.

Enjoy!

Related Recipes:

1. Vietnamese Tau Hu Ky or bean curd skin with shrimp
  2. Vietnamese Cha Tom or Hue shrimp patties
Click Page 2 for the Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken Recipe Recipe

1. K & S says:

I wish I could get lemongrass here. This reminds me of the lemongrass chicken bahn mi I used to eat in Hawaii.

2. Nabeela says:

That looks lovely. My husband would love it…he is big on asian flavors! Thanks for posting :)

3. Brilynn says:

Your blog makes me hungry at the most inopportune hours! I could happily eat a bowlful of this right now…

4. Cedar says:

That sounds incredible, I am saving the recipe, and am going to try it later this week!

5. Cindy. Lo. says:

Can I have a bowl of rice please!

6. Oh for the love of food! says:

I’ts a real pity that I don’t live where you are. I’d invite myself over everyday when you need to clear your fridge! Love your Lemongrass chicken, and your prawn balls with the wanton skin strips is a BLAST!Is there a lucky guy in particular that gets to savour all your Yummy stuff?

7. Claude-Olivier says:

Hi, it sounds so good that I will try this recipe this week, that’s for sure! I will travel throught Asia with your food ;-) cheers

8. Andreea says:

that sounds absoulety delicious. something for the weekend
    i als overy much love how you created the 4 photo slide. any chance you could share the secret tool? i am obviously totally at the other extreme to tech savy :)

9. East Meets West Kitchen says:

I love your picture (as always), and since I have all the ingredients on hand, I can’t wait to try this tonight. Thanks!

10. Lydia says:

A friend just harvested some lemongrass from her garden, and I’ve been making a list of recipes that use it. I’ll definitely try this one!

11. Happy cook says:

Wow they just look superb.When i saw the pic i thought u deepfried the chicken but it is the caramel which gives it suce a nice colour.
    I am for sure going to try this recipe.
    I don’t like the fish sauce can i omit that.

12. veron says:

Wonderful! My practicing my Asian food cooking skills and I love lemon grass chicken so I guess I know what I’ll be making soon!

13. Marvin says:

Rasa, this looks really really good. I’ve never cooked with lemongrass, but I love it’s flavor.

14. JadedOne says:

Perfect! This is what I’ll make for dinner tonight :)

15. ptanu says:

I love the flavor of lemongrass but I’ve never cooked with it much–my mum’s recipes always tend to be so complex. This is one I’m definitely going ot try!

16. Terry B says:

This sounds and looks wonderful! A quick question–what kind of chilies do you use?

17. yygarvin says:

looks absolutely delish! ur blog inspires me to cook! will try this recipe over the weekend. loving ur work!

Wooo… I simply love lemongrass in anything. I made the so-called Baba coriander chicken before and it uses lemongrass too. YUMS!

19. wmw says:

Aiyoh…one of my fave Viet dishes!

20. meeso says:

I just found fresh lemongrass at the store and now I know how to use it! This sounds simple too :)

21. anh says:

Recipe pretty much looks right on. The only thing that normally isn’t used is the curry powder =)

22. Jackson says:

oohh…the picture is awesome!! The recipe is great! I love anything with lemongras!

23. Kevin says:

Sounds tasty. Now if only it wasn’t so hard to find lemongrass.

24. Lemongrass says:

Looks delicious! Nice pictures too!

25. bea at la tartine gourmande says:

Delicious recipe. Everything that I like is in it. Lemongrass, such a lovely ingredient.

26. JadedOne says:

RM – I made this last night and it came out beautfully! Thank you!

27. Jen Yu says:

another gorgeous looking dish. i want you to come to my house when i’m cleaning out MY fridge! thanks for the awesome posts and recipes – you keep me Asian, woman :)

28. Kate says:

Rasa , the colour of this chicken is so rich and gorgeous.Just wondering if 2. half tbsps would be too sweet ! oe maybe the curry pwd will balance it out. Looks fab …defi worth a try !

29. Cynthia says:

I’ve had this dish at the home of some friends, the only thing is that they used chicken wings. It was soooooo good and was finished in no time :) No, No, not by me alone (lol)

30. Andaliman says:

lovely shot and yummy indeed

31. "Joe" who is constantly craving says:

looks yum!!..i want to try this..but dis looks like i need to go for some grocery shopping

32. Piggy says:

Wow, another post that makes me drool! ;-)

33. Graeme says:

Lemongrass Chicken – It’s just one of those things you KNOW you’ll love.

Beautiful photos as always. Really, really beautiful.

34. Sunkid says:

Another great shot there! Your recipe sounds divine, and one thing I’ve been wanting to ask you for a long time: Are you using a digicam or one of those SLR Digital cameras?

35. Amy says:

This sounds delicious! I think I will have to make it this week. :)

36. joey says:

That sounds sooooo good! Love things that are both sweet and spicy :) Love lemongrass too! Over here we call lemongrass tanglad :)

37. A kitchen scientist & a white rat hubby!!! says:

my my…, somehow happened to stumble over this site, and trust me..have been sitting here in front of my monitor, and have gone thru all the posts, from Day 1 !!!

lov ur snaps, cud definitely see the quality rise in snaps from the initial to those now (from good to superb, i mean)…

the prawns balls, shrimp roll with popped out tail….got no words to say, except that i am just can resist tryin it out myself…

38. Rosa's Yummy Yums says:

Oh, I love Vietnamese recipes! That chicken dish looks gorgeous and ever so photogenic!

Cheers,

Rosa

39. Dwiana P says:

WOW this chicken must taste very delicous! I don’t mind eating chicken everyday.

40. Julia says:

I made this a few nights ago and it was absolutely delicious! I grated in some fresh ginger too. Mine didn’t turn out such a beautiful caramel colour, but it became an instant fave for me and I’ll be making it often – thank you!

41. Gay says:

I like to cook with lemon grass a lot – in soups, grills and stews. This one I must try. Thanks.

42. Claude-Olivier says:

hi, how are you ? I’ve just publish your recipe on my blog ;-) Have a look!

Have a very nice day
    Cheers

I’m Vietnamese, and I have to say this looks very similar to the way my family makes this dish-I’ll have to try it soon! We deal with lemongrass a lot, and though I don’t particularly like the flavor, it’s a great addition to marinating meats and to recipes like this :) And you can find lemongrass in just about any asian market (I fortunately live near more than five of them), so the ingredients are really easy to get as well.

44. Joy de Vivre says:

Wow. I made this last night – and it was just as good as the pictures looked! Not too much work either! Yuuuummmmmmmmyyyy!

Thanks!

45. Sharon says:

I was searching for recipes to use up my leftover lemongrss and this just might be it! Thanks :)

46. Dibs says:

sounds good. will try it this weekend

47. Yun says:

Thank you for posting this lemongrass chicken recipe. My partner loves this dish.

48. GiGi says:

i hv tried your recipe, and it works really well!! the lemongrass aroma is everywhere in my little apartment and my 2 boys just keep on asking me, “mama, wat is that smell? it sound so delicious!” Oh! Man….Thanks alot, u make up my day:)

I tried your vietnamese lemongrass chicken recipe for my husband and now vietnamese lemongrass chicken is a favourite in our house.

I tried this recipe yesterday and we all like it. It was yummy and i love lemongrass flavor. Definitely will be making it again.