Vietnamese Tau Hu Ky Recipe (Bean Curd Skin with Shrimp)June 8th, 2007Recipes, Appetizer Recipes, Recipes, Eating Light, Recipes, Recipes, Vietnamese Recipes35 Comments
Recipe: Vietnamese Tau Hu Ky (Bean Curd Skin with Shrimp)
1 pound raw shrimp (smaller shrimp)
Dry bean curd skin (cut into 6 in. x 9 in. pieces; 4 pieces)
1 clove garlic 3 thin slices fresh ginger
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 egg white, beaten until frothy
1 stalk scallion (finely chopped)
2 dashes white pepper powder
2 teaspoons lard or cooking oil
- Rinse and devein the shrimp.
- Dry the shrimp thoroughly with paper towels.
- Put the shrimp, ginger, garlic, white pepper, lard into a food processor and blend well to form a paste.
- Transfer the shrimp paste into a bowl.
- Beat the egg white with an electronic hand beater until frothy.
- Combine the shrimp paste with beaten egg white and blend well with hand.
- Add finely chopped scallion to the shrimp paste.
- Divide the shrimp paste into four equal portions.
- On a chopping board, use a damp towel to wipe the surface of the dry bean curd skin until it’s soft for wrapping.
- Put the shrimp paste in the middle bottom of the bean curd skin and roll it into a 4 in. by 3 in. pieces. Seal and hold the sides and edges with some shrimp paste.
- Heat up a wok of oil and fry them until golden brown.
- Cut the Tau Hu Ky into bite size pieces and serve with garlic chili sauce.