Update: The winner is Jaime Cummings.
I’m partnering with my friends at Season with Spice to giveaway a Season with Spice Asian Spice Kit. There will be one (1) winner whom will receive one (1) Season with Spice Asian Spice Kit containing 7 medium sized spice jars (listed below). The suggested retail price of the Season with Spice Asian Spice Kit is US$34.43.
Launched in 2011 in my home island of Penang, Season with Spice is a spice shop now located in Minnesota, specializing in premium Asian spices and handcrafted blends.
My friend Reese, also from Penang, developed the company with her husband, Mark, while they were living on the island, working on various community projects in the UNESCO World Heritage site of George Town. One project included the creation of a local spice trail, which gave them a better understanding of the cultural, historical, environmental, and culinary value of spices. This understanding grew into a passion, and Season with Spice became an outlet to share their knowledge of spices, and all the deliciously spicy recipes they continue to share on their company’s blog.
Season with Spice – now an established Asian Spice Shop in the US – offers over 100 premium spices and blends to help you cook up some of your favorite Asian dishes at home. They’ve selected a few of their favorites for you to stock up your spice rack with new, exciting flavors:
- Penang Chinese Five Spice: Warm, sweet, and aromatic, Chinese Five Spice 五香粉 is the principal spice blend used in Chinese cooking. The special recipe of this classic mix is a Penang-inspired version, which includes additional spices – most notably citrus powder, cardamom, and nutmeg. It’s a versatile blend that will impart a wonderfully bold flavor to any recipe that calls for Chinese Five Spice.
- Malaysian Satay Seasoning: Chicken satay – those tasty little tidbits skewered with bamboo sticks, grilled over a charcoal fire, and served with a spicy peanut dipping sauce – is the perfect combination of smoke & spice. This Malaysian Satay Seasoning represents that flavor, rich in turmeric, coriander, ginger, and cumin, blended with the essential base ingredients of many Malaysian dishes – garlic & shallots. Then dashes of fennel and galangal for depth, a hint of cayenne for some flare, and finally lemongrass for a citrusy reminder that this is a true Southeast Asian seasoning.
- Japanese Seven Spice: Spicier than you’d expect for a seasoning commonly found on Japanese tables, but when the heat subsides, the sweet, salty, citrusy, nutty flavors reveal the vivid, versatile qualities of this Japanese Seven Spice (Shichimi Togarashi).
- Sweet & Spicy Curry Powder: This handcrafted curry blend begins with a blend of coriander, turmeric, fenugreek, and cumin – the base spices to create that familiar, but delectable aroma of curry. Then the warming spices are slowly mixed in – cinnamon for its sweetness; ginger for those spicy, lemony notes; fennel to add an element of freshness; and clove for that heavenly, rich fragrance. And finally, as the flavors combine and harmonize, that’s when the spicy kick is mixed in – black pepper, Kashmiri chili powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Sichuan Peppercorns: An experience more than a flavor, Sichuan Peppercorns create a simultaneous numbing, tongue-tingling, party-in-your-mouth sensation. Match these magical russet-colored husks with chili peppers to make spicy Sichuan dishes at home such as Kung Pao Chicken, Ma La Tofu, and Dan Dan Noodles.
- Balinese Pyramid Sea Salt: An all-natural sea salt that forms into hollow, pyramid-shaped flakes that gives this unique salt a delectable texture. This amazing, naturally occurring creation from the island of Bali adds a special taste to your Asian dishes, and a must-try on seafood.
- Tandoori Seasoning: A combination of rich, red spices – Sweet Spanish Paprika and the essential, vibrant kick of Kashmiri Chili Powder – with a hint of turmeric, creates the base of this bright, aromatic blend. Then the warming spices are mixed in – bold flavors commonly used in North Indian cuisine like ginger, cumin, garlic, and cardamom. For balance, coriander is added in, and for a citrus note, dashes of mango powder. Finally, to emphasize that smoky tandoori flavor, a touch of Smoked Spanish Paprika.
Eligibility: United States only. No purchase necessary and subject to this official giveaway rules. Closing Date: February 16, 2014, 11:59 pm PST. Winner will be randomly selected and contacted via email on February 17, 2014. The prize is proudly sponsored by Season with Spice.