Shrimp Fritters http://rasamalaysia.com/shrimp-fritters/
June 05th, 2011 15 Comments

Shrimp Fritters

Shrimp Fritters
Shrimp Fritters pictures (4 of 5)

When my eldest sister came to visit in mid April, we were reminiscing on our family recipes, especially all the dishes that our late mother used to prepare on a daily basis. My mother was an excellent and creative home cook. She fed us every day with 4 to 5 dishes. On our dining table, there were always soup, pork/chicken, seafood, tofu/eggs, and vegetables. Somehow, she managed to cook something new and never seemed to run out of ideas. Even though we came from a poor family, we ate well, extremely well…a revelation that I only realized much later in life.

As we were talking, I remembered the shrimp fritters, or hee chee, that my mother used to make—doughy nuggets of little shrimp, bean sprouts and flour, fried to golden brown and served with her homemade garlic chili sauce. The thought of the shrimp fritters immediately made my mouth water. It’s a dish that I haven’t had for a long while, one recipe that my family is particularly fond of…

So here it is, my mother’s simple yet delicious shrimp fritters recipe. It is very easy to make and takes only a few basic ingredients. I have made it again and again since my sister left, it is so good that my good friend’s little boy gave his thumb up after his first bite. Try it and I am sure you will enjoy this homey and nostalgic recipe from my late mother.

Other delicious family recipes that you might like:

1. Chili Crab
  2. Sweet and Sour Eggs (masak Belanda)
  3. Prawn Sambal (sambal udang)
  4. Stewed Pork Ribs
  5. Sesame Oil Chicken
  6. Braised Pork Belly in Soy Sauce (tau yew bak)
  7. Assam Prawn
  8. Fish Head Curry
  9. Squid Curry (gulai sotong)
  10. Stir-fry Pork with Cincaluk
  11. Chai Buey
  12. Sambal Stuffed Fish
Click Page 2 for the Shrimp Fritters Recipe

1. Ken says:

Oh man, this shrimp fritters look good. If the links are the dishes you ate while growing up, you did eat well!

2. Shirley says:

Love shrimp fritters. My mom used to make it too. Perfect as a finger food or appetizer.

3. in says:

Ahhh….cucur udang….another of my favourites! My mom adds chopped red chillies and onions in hers. I’ve never cooked this with taugeh…will try soon. In the Asian Food channel, local celebrity Chef Wan does this with even more ingredients: cream corn(!), tumeric powder, dried prawns, taugeh, fresh prawns, diced tomato, yellow dhal, onions, green chillies, daun kucai/bawang.

• Hi In – yes, you can add a lot of things into this shrimp fritters but I grew up eating this very simple version, which is equally delicious. I don’t like too much ingredients as I wanted the simple and clean flavors to shine through.

4. Melanie Chong says:

This is so timely! Was craving them. When I grew up in Penang, I used to get the “cok udang” during school breaks for 20 sen! This is the Malay version vs. my mom’s chinese version (without the sprouts). Thanks Bee.

5. This is a simple dish with big memory! Your mom must be very proud of you. Thanks for sharing another fine example of a homey Malaysian dish. I love all the fritters with taugeh. They add to the sweetness and the crunch. Btw, Happy Duanwu Jie!

6. My mom’s version is the flat type with shallots added.
    That’s our family’s favorite. :)

7. J2Kfm says:

Love these a lot. Used to buy lots of them from the night market, though they’re slightly different; cucur udang’s the name. The prawns are deep-fried with shells intact though.

8. Tina Pham says:

These things are very addictive!!! Thank you for the recipe!

9. Great site, thanks for sharing your passion!

10. AL. Deliganu says:

Nice receipe worth trying at home and make children happy.