Sicilian Orange Cake http://rasamalaysia.com/sicilian-orange-cake-recipe/
June 13th, 2013 20 Comments

Sicilian Orange Cake

Sicilian Orange Cake
Sicilian Orange Cake pictures (2 of 3)

(September 23, 2013, 10:35 pm PST  Update: My contributor CP Choong is a homemaker in Penang and she loves baking. She found the recipe on these two blogs j3ss kitche3n and Nasi Lemak Lover. I practically just read the two links minutes ago and found out that the original recipe was from Almost Bourdain which was from Rick Stein’s Mediterranean Escape Cookbook. CP Choong couldn’t link to Almost Bourdain as the URL was not found, and hence the credit sources went to j3ss kitche3n and Nasi Lemak Lover. No one is trying to steal any recipes here. Thank you very much for your kind understanding! – Bee & CP Choong)

It’s the Father’s Day weekend and I am sure many of you will be celebrating the special day. I always think that Father’s Day is way underrated compared to Mother’s Day. I personally think that fathers give as much as mothers, if not more. They are out working, making a living to support the family, and when they come home, they have to play with the kids and help out with the chores. I have the world’s best father at home (Mr. Rasa Malaysia), and my son is very lucky that he has a wonderful father. I am blessed that I have someone whom I can “unload” my son to in the evening and on the weekends. It’s really precious.

Anyway, I digress.

Sicilian Orange Cake

When I saw this Sicilian Orange Cake on my friend CP’s Facebook, I knew that I had to tell her to share this Sicilian Orange Cake recipe with me. Sicilian Orange Cake tastes like butter cake, with an addition of orange juice. I love my butter cake recipe a lot, but the orange juice does add a citrusy tang and aroma to it. The end result is this beautiful and pleasing Sicilian Orange Cake that is very hard to resist.

This weekend, why don’t you surprise your father by making a cake for him. Cakes are not only for Mother’s Day, but can be a great surprise for your father. The recipe is in metrics measurement, but you can use my conversion tool to convert to US measurement. However, for the best results, please follow the exact recipe below. Have a great Father’s Day weekend!

Click Page 2 for the Sicilian Orange Cake Recipe

1. Raymond Deou via Facebook says:

What sort pan did you use for this recipe to look like that? Could I just use an average round or square pan?

2. Tech says:

Hi Bee,

Loves your site and of course your recipe. Just wondering if you have any recipes meant for diabetic person?

Thanks

3. yummie perfect! Looks so moist to

4. Decadence! And I absolutely love the shape of this cake. So festive :)

5. Leslie says:

This recipe looks FANTASTIC. All your pictures are always so beautiful. Can’t wait to make it!

6. The cake looks so tempting! Thanks for the recipe. And I agree with your thoughts about dads, they do so much for their families.

7. Cindy says:

I’ve got the conversion to North American measurements ok for the butter as a pound is 2 cups, but I’ve never used a weight measurement for sugar. Would this be approximately a cup as well?

8. Agnes Ma says:

In 4th paragraph could you pls explain:
    1. The method of adding the flour to the butter & eggs mixture? Do you mean to use the beater? If so, in what speed? Or do you mean to fold the flour in with a rubber spatula?

In the same paragraph, how to mix in the orange juice? To use the beater again or mix in by hand?

Thanks.

9. Baquist says:

Bee, this looks absolutely fabulous! I’m curious how you got the slices that shape; did you use a bundt pan? Going to try this this weekend.

10. G’day Your cake looks GREAT, TRUE!
    Love the staging of the photo; very appealing too!
    Cheers! Joanne

11. Paula says:

Can you please put in the recipe what 270 grams of flour is equal to in cups? The same with 259 g butter? I would love to make this cake but its not possible with the recipe like this..

12. mooseworks says:

Is this cooked in a large or a smaller sized bundt pan – not sure what a 22 cm cake pan is in US terms. I will google it to see – but it looks so pretty in bundt style – will make tomorrow one way or the other because it looks so yummy.

13. Cleo says:

Is your book done in metric or do you have a version for us dumb Americans?

14. Markus says:

Use a scale, anyhow much faster and easier than cups. Or simply google gram butter cup and you’ll get the answer 250g = 1.1 cup(us)or 1.04cup metric. Trad oven has a great conversion tool. The cake looks great, the recipe is very close to one I have used and turned out great.

15. Jayne says:

I love mixing up flavours for butter cake too. One of my favorites is marble pandan cake. I love orange very much too. My dad would enjoy this is I made it. I think I shall, maybe next week.

16. S says:

I made this cake last week when u posted it. It keeps very well, and gets richer in flavour each day. I also reduced the sugar as the icing added to the sweetness. Didn’t use the rum as I didn’t have any, but I’m sure it would enhance the flavour even more. It’s an easy cake to make and well worth the effort. – Will add rum next time!

• Jane says:

S, read your comments about the cake and how moist and how
      the flavour improved the next day. What type of pan did you use? I would like to use a bundt pan if possible
      Thanks

17. Carol says:

where is the recipe for the icing? Could I substitute lemon juice for the orange juice? Would you still suggest the rum in that version?

• Carol Ann says:

Hi Carol I have made this type of icing several times, it is just a glaze, a mixture of liquid and icing sugar. You can use water but many times it is lemon juice. Or vanilla and water. In this recipe the perfect match would be orange juice! There is a very good video on YouTube called “How to make vanilla glaze” by about.com. Just substitute orange juice for the milk and vanilla. Hope this is helpful.

18. Xin says:

Hi anyone knows how to substitute the self raising flour in this recipe with plain flour? How much baking powder & salt to add?
    Thanks!