Spicy Chicken with Cashew Nuts http://rasamalaysia.com/spicy-chicken-with-cashew-nuts/
September 01st, 2010 51 Comments

Spicy Chicken with Cashew Nuts

Spicy Chicken with Cashew Nuts
Spicy Chicken with Cashew Nuts pictures (1 of 3)

I love Thai food. Come to think about it, a lot of Thai recipes that I like are basically Chinese in origin, with local influences, which add an exciting layer of taste structure to the originals. There are many examples: Rad Na, Pad See Ew, and in this case, chicken with cashew nuts. In Chinese cuisine, these dishes are prepared the Chinese way, but the Thai versions are flavored with fish sauce or other local seasoning sauces, spices (yes!), and slightly varied ingredients. The end results are always delicious, sometimes more so than the Chinese equivalents. I always appreciate the local touch, which make good recipes even better…

This Spicy Chicken with Cashew Nuts is adapted from my favorite Thai cookbook “Thai Cooking Made Easy.” This variation of cashew chicken is also popular in Malaysia. In fact, it’s one of my favorite chicken dishes whenever I eat out at local hot stir-fries stalls. To me, it’s the local interpretation of Chinese cashew chicken and Kung Pao Chicken.

If you love cashew nuts and like your chicken spicy, this is a great recipe to try out.

Click Page 2 for the Spicy Chicken with Cashew Nuts Recipe

1. June says:

I love this dish. In Malaysia, this is called Kung Pao Chicken, haha, it’s always served at tai chow stalls. Love it. YUMMY!

2. Sara says:

YUM!!! Bee this looks sooo good! I love cashews in savory dishes!! :)

3. Su-yin says:

I put cashews in practically all my chicken stir fries, hehe. Haven’t eaten Kung Pao chicken in ages, will need to cook this soon!

I thought it looks like Kung Po chicken too and like you, I definitely prefer cashew to peanuts :)

5. Tony says:

great looking recipe! do you use 1tsp of all three items in the first line of the sauce ingredients? thank you

6. OCR says:

Nice recipe! Simple and looks easy for a newbie like me to attempt! :D I have a question though – does the recipe call for raw cashew nuts? Can I use those that are already fried/toasted?

7. No wonder why I also love Malaysian foods : ). I love cashews, believing it as a healthy alternative to peanuts.

8. Oh I love this dish.. Can also replace the chicken with cuttle fish if you do not mind so much the cholesterol! LOL!

9. My mouth is watering now..Thanks Bee for featuring this. I love it with lots of cashews!

10. Hi!! This is a popular dish. Fish sauce will definitely add another dimension to the taste. Will try this recipe.

11. Looks lovely, Bee. I’m a fan of Thai food too so this is something we will try at home.

12. Ronald says:

i had once in a chinese restaurant they fry with black vinegar..tastes great too!

13. Jeune says:

I am sure this is delicious but I was thinking of pork instead of chicken.

14. interesting to see the thai interpretation of what looks to me almost like a classic kung poh chicken..would definitely like to try out the receipe!

15. Shareena says:

I cooked this today! It is delicious! thank you !!

16. Simon says:

This is a delicious thai classic. It’s probably the most popular thai dish here next to Neua pad nam man hoi (stir fried beef with oyster sauce), pad thai and Tom yum kung/kai.

We have a amazing little thai cafe here named Thai Orchid Cafe. Home made quality thai food at it’s best. Glad that you posted this classic here bee.

Keep up the good work.

17. Delishhh says:

Love this dish. You can find it in almost every country with its own little twist.

18. This dish is delicious and it is one that pleases the Western palette as well. When my hubby first came to Malaysia, all he knows is 2 Chinese dishes, Sweet Sour Port and Kung Po Chicken LOL!

19. Alta says:

This looks so drool-worthy! I love Thai too.

20. Sharon says:

Hi, With the Spicy Chicken with Cashews recipe I couldn’t see an answer to the question Is it 1 teaspoon of all the three ingredients for the sauce on the first line of the sauce ingredients ? I must cook this dish tomorrow as I am drooling just thinking about it.

21. Yum! This is something I will try out.

22. yangsha says:

This dish sound delicious! I’m a big fan of Thai food. I have tried other numerous Kung Pao recipes and it didn’t taste so great. Hopefully, this will one will alter my mind. The picture is perfectly taken @ a great angle.

One question, which of the 3 ingredients (maggie, soy, golden mountain) do you recomend using in stir-fries?

23. Rabeeya says:

I made this dish the day you posted it and i must say it turned out fabulous! i made some fried rice with it, and some stir fried garlic mushrooms to go with it, and my husband said he felt like he was eating food from a really great restaurant! (thats a compliment here in Pakistan, as home cooked chinese/thai is usually really bad)
    thank u so much for such a lovely recipe!

24. megs says:

Thanks very much for the great recipe i’m making it for a school project on malaysia and it looks delicious!!!!!!!

25. Amir Said says:

i like your food presentation. awesome.

26. Angie says:

Cooked this last night and hubby loved it.. he ate 2 bowls of rice!!
    It was yummy and so easy to make.. thanks! :) and congrats on your little bundle of joy .. welcome to parenting 101 :))

27. Amelia Chee says:

Hi Bee, Congratulations on your bundle of joy! He is so cute! Cooked this spicy chicken and paired it with white rice. It’s delicious! Ribuan terima kasih for sharing!

28. Jamak Aton Habi says:

Delicious! I love u r food presentation, creative!

29. siewyee says:

Hi there,
    Just to let you know I tried this recipe and it turned out really delicious. Loved by my husband, mom-in-law and grandma-in-law! Am going to try the rest of your recipes real soon!

30. ML says:

Can shrimp be substituted in for chicken in this recipe?

31. Zehava Hefetz Levy says:

Where do I see the recipes?
    for some reason I see only the pictures but not the recipe
    have I misundersand something?
    Thanke you

32. Jennifer says:

Can you use the same baking soda trick in this recipe that is used in the Chinese cashew chicken recipe?

33. Its really healthy and tasty food. I really enjoyed the cooking

34. Crystal Dawn says:

I mixed this with some green peppers and mushrooms, and used steamed jasmine rice instead of white rice – it was delicious!

35. raj says:

I like your food merinet mathed

36. raj says:

I will try this food making in our hotel

37. StrawberryPocky says:

I can’t find dried red chilies in my local grocery store. Could I substitute it with a teaspoon of dried chili flakes instead?

38. Claire_F says:

Thank you so much for this recipe! I was looking for a recipe similar to my husband’s favorite Thai restaurant dish. This tastes exactly like it! I made it last weekend, and he raved and raved about it. I left out the sugar, and it tasted perfect. This has moved to the top of our favorites list. Thank you again!

39. The Toronto Dales says:

This recipe was delicious!! My husband and I loved it. Thanks for sharing..

40. André says:

Very close to the Thai-restaurant version, which I absolutely love! Great recipe — thank you very much for this one!!