Sweet and Sour Crab Claws http://rasamalaysia.com/sweet-and-sour-crab-claws-recipe/
May 09th, 2010 24 Comments

Sweet and Sour Crab Claws

Sweet and Sour Crab Claws
Sweet and Sour Crab Claws pictures (2 of 4)

Recently, I have been in high gear working on my cookbook, developing recipes, cooking, food styling, and shooting. I work on my cookbook almost every day and my life has been consumed by it, pretty much! The good news is that the list of to-do recipes are getting shorter by the day. I have given myself a hard deadline of June 1st to finish cooking the dishes so I have three months to work on the writing and miscellaneous stuff. (My deadline is September 1st!).

It’s really not easy, especially I am also tasked with food styling and photography. My creative juice has been sucked dry right about now because of it—every single dish needs a different composition, mood, props, and styling, which is the toughest part for me. I am quite pleased with the results so far and I am sure you will, too. The food in the cookbook all look delicious and the food photography is quite different from what you see here on Rasa Malaysia, a completely different style which is more refined, professional, and cookbook-worthy…

Anyway, I disgress.

I got some crab claws yesterday for a recipe on the cookbook and had some leftover. I also had a leftover beaten egg from the egg wash. So, I made sweet and sour crab claws, with the egg, ala Singapore chili crab-style. Since my crab claws were frozen, they lack the natural sweetness. The sauce is great nonetheless. If you have a fresh crab, this sweet and sour crab recipe will shine. And I am sure you have noticed, I haven’t styled my blog food photography lately. Gotta save the creative mojo for the cookbook!

Click Page 2 for the Sweet and Sour Crab Claws Recipe

1. Ronald Lim says:

Great Recipe! Going to try this at home!! Been eating lots of crabs in chinese restaurants…slurp!!

2. Looking really tasty Bee…..samples? Be back on May 20th, lets makan Lah. In KL now..heading to Hokkein Place for lunch with http://eatingasia.typepad.com/

I was also working like mad…everyday…but I was happy in a way to have total control of how I want to manage my time :D …now I am busy with corrections. Your cookbook 很值得期待.

Where do you get crab-claws only? Do the stores sell them this way?

• I got the crab claws from Little Saigon. Not every store has it though. I much prefer the fresh ones because the frozen ones have the “frozen” taste. Hehe.

4. I miss chilli crab. And good luck on the book. Can’t wait to see it.

5. Sunkid says:

Drooool! Thanks for sharing Bee! Thats exactly how i usually cook it too :-)

6. Bee, this looks beautifully styled and delicious to me. I admire how you stick to deadlines, I have to learn that. Can’t wait to see your cookbook.

7. DailyChef says:

Delicious! Reminds me of restaurant or banquet food…which is a very good thing :)

8. JudyC says:

What kind of chili sauce? American catsup-y chili sauce? sambal oelek? or some sort of Chinese chili sauce? pls. respond! thanks, JudyC

9. babe_kl says:

loved to eat this wid toasts!

10. Jeffrey says:

This looks like a great recipe, I can not wait to try it.

11. Katelyn says:

The crab claws look so dramatic, and the sauce sounds delicious!

12. Aihoon says:

I am Malaysian. We are going to San Diego and LA end of June from Alabama. Would u recommend some nice restaurant In these areas?

13. kl_changs says:

Yummy recipe, Bee. Will try it with the whole crab cos I can’t find crab claws.

May your creative juices flow (which I’m sure it will) for your book. Bet it’s going to be fabulous, and make all of us proud :)

14. audrey says:

Hi BY, great news to hear you have a cookbook coming out. I will be your greatest fan. Will I be able to purchase it in Malaysia? I understand coming out with a cookbook is not an easy task at all. I am currently writing my e-recipe book and it is only half way through. I started in November last year. Nevertheless, I always believe doing what you like best is the most satisfying job one can ever find. All the best … let those creative juices flow!

15. Sydneylyn says:

Hi! Do you think I can substitute prawns for the crabs? :) hope to hear from you asap.. thanks! :)