Tandoori Chicken http://rasamalaysia.com/tandoori-chicken/
April 09th, 2012 17 Comments

Tandoori Chicken

Tandoori Chicken
Tandoori Chicken pictures (3 of 4)

Indian cuisine is renowned far and wide for its rich flavors and generous use of bold spices. However there is one particular Indian dish that has gained prominence not just for its bold flavors but for its cooking method as well. And that is none other than the world-famous Tandoori Chicken. The name Tandoori Chicken is derived from the “Tandoor”, which is a cylindrical clay oven that was traditionally used to cook the chicken in at very high temperatures.

This ingenious method of cooking is still widely practiced today. But of course with modern technological advances, gas and electric tandoori ovens are more efficient in getting the job done. However if you are preparing this dish in the comfort of your own home, you can still achieve amazing results with a BBQ grill or alternatively, broiling in a conventional oven. My personal preference is to pre-bake the chicken ahead of time to ensure it will be thoroughly cooked. Then give it a quick sear at high heat in the broiler for that charred taste and at the same time sealing in the flavor and tenderness.

Tandoori Chicken

The other key factor to a truly amazing tasting Tandoori Chicken is the marination. The rich blend of spices gives the Tandoori Chicken its unique flavor but more importantly, it is the yogurt that helps to penetrate the spices into the meat and tenderize it at the same time. And the best part of it is, even when the meat hits the grill, it is the thick consistency of the yogurt that keeps the seasonings on the meat so no flavor is lost.

Click Page 2 for the Tandoori Chicken Recipe

1. kankana says:

Love the idea of adding saffron instead of food color! I can live on Tandoori chicken every day :)

2. Karen Lynch says:

Oh, this looks so good. Can’t wait to try. I also saw the tandoori shrimp, wish I had seen it during lent, but will try it as well.

3. Love this tandoori chicken recipe..so simple yet delicious!

4. Zee says:

That’s my favorite flavor of chicken EVER! I make it very often and the left overs are always good for pie fillings, pizza topping and sandwiches!

5. I am using chicken some recipes are made.some times I feeling why because i don.t no how to make this thanduri chicken that time i saw your blog and trying I was shocked it is perfectly came out.already two times made that two times also not perfectly.now i am happy because your providing infomation

6. CharissaJ says:

This looks amazing. I can’t wait to cook it!

7. Beautifully cooked and photographed. Nice!

8. Jambp says:

Do you mean put the chicken on the broiler rack and let it drip down on to the aluminium foil?
    I am a little confused.

Thanks

Jambo

• Rasa Malaysia says:

Yes, you place the chicken on the broiler rack with the lined aluminum foil baking sheet under and bake.

9. jambo says:

Thanks so much. The chicken is cooking aw I type this :)

10. outsidemunich says:

Made this today. Only difference to the original instructions was that the chicken legs were grilled on our BBQ. Absolutely amazing result, wow. Already looking forward to the next time which will be very soon. Already had to make a second batch of marinade just as sauce to go with rice. Super yummy!

11. Tora says:

This looks scrumptious to say the least! So delicious looking! I want to make this, so totally bookmarked!

12. Pingback:Tandoori for Every Kitchen – from RasaMalaysia - Martha's Circle

13. Charles says:

My wife is lactose intolerant, so no milk products. So…..

We did this with “tofuti” sour cream. Added a dash of cayenne. It was wonderful!

14. swtd12eams says:

I’m a little confused with the instructions. First you roast/bake it for 45 minutes, then you switch it to the broiler and broil on high for 5-7 minutes?

Thanks.

• Rasa Malaysia says:

Yes. Just follow the instructions as per recipe. Slow bake the chicken first (I like the meat inside to be moist and not dry, hence I did not use the grill all the way method), followed by a high heat grill on the broiler oven to get the chicken charred.

15. Pingback:Tandoori Tacos | Tandoori Taco