Thai Chicken Curry with Bamboo Shoots http://rasamalaysia.com/thai-chicken-curry-with-bamboo-shoots/
November 12th, 2010 16 Comments

Thai Chicken Curry with Bamboo Shoots

Thai Chicken Curry with Bamboo Shoots
Thai Chicken Curry with Bamboo Shoots pictures (2 of 3)

On my Rasa Malaysia Facebook fan page (“like” me if you haven’t), a reader asked me how to prepare Thai-style chicken curry with bamboo shoots, like the ones commonly served at Thai restaurants here in the United States. It was a coincidence that I had some leftover bamboo shoots in the refrigerator so I made a small pot of  Thai chicken curry with the leftover.

Talking about bamboo shoots, some readers also commented that some bamboo shoots have a very strong and funky smell. That’s a truth as I recalled buying bamboo shoots reeking of horse urine (I am not kidding!). The safest option is to buy canned bamboo shoots, which have been cooked and sliced into pieces. They are available at most supermarkets and Asian grocery stores, or online..

Anyway, here is my quick and easy Thai chicken curry recipe with bamboo shoots. If you love Thai food, you will certainly love this rich and creamy curry.

Click Page 2 for the Thai Chicken Curry with Bamboo Shoots Recipe

1. Shirley says:

I love Thai curries and always order this at Thai restaurants. Thanks so much for this chicken curry recipe, I always wonder how to make it.

2. LimeCake says:

I always have a can of Thai curry paste in my kitchen cupboard. You can just about throw any meat and vegetables in it for a quick meal. This curry looks delicious!

3. Mzungu says:

I love Thai food, but I normally make my own pastes, as I find the shop brought ones lack in taste a bit. Homemade ones punch plenty of flavour.

4. Debs says:

Sounds lovely. I always use Mae Ploy pastes too. Can’t beat them.

5. Peter Pantry Raider says:

I recall enjoying lemak bamboo shoots (with prawns, so you will love it) curry and balitong/potatoes? curry cooked by a friends mother (Nonya) who was really a very great cook. That was over 40 years ago long before most of you were born. So this Thai bamboo shoot curry brings back memories for me. Bamboo shoots are believed to be very “hong”.

Will try to cook the bamboo shoot/prawns curry next time I go to the market. Wonder if adding slices of brinjals into the curry will be nice. Adding petai may overpower the fragrance of the bamboo shoots.

Just a thought. Maybe someday you can give readers the recipe for frying champedak together with boiling champedak seeds to eat. Malays cook young champedak curry and the banana flower buds curry also. Both are also nice.

Aiyo….I really hate it when the bamboo shoots smell like horse urine. I get what you mean. There are Thai restaurants here serving Thai curry with smelly bamboo shoots, then it spoils the whole dish! How come they still serve it? arrghhhh…..

7. san says:

We just had this and Panang Curry Beef the other day….will definitely make this soon.

8. Ingrid says:

Thai soups are my favorites…Especially with coconut milk!

9. justinerae says:

Made this tonight along with the 15-minute Tom Yum soup. It was great. The only substitution I made was golden brown sugar in place of palm sugar, and chicken thigh instead of chicken breast. I doubled the recipe but felt that I should have added a bit more coconut milk for a creamier taste. Will make again…

10. Angie says:

Just had horse urine smelling drunken noodles that we had to send back to the kitchen at a local thai restaurant. I thought I was going out of my mind, thankgoodness you’ve posted about this, we were thinking there was something worng with us, not liking a certain thai spice, that we couldn’t pin point. And instead of going out for thai next time, I’ll just make one of your recipes :).

11. Kala says:

1/4 teaspoon of fish sauce seems like very little, can be omitted or substituted?