Udon Recipe (Kitsune Udon and Dashi) http://rasamalaysia.com/udon-recipe/
February 15th, 2009 30 Comments

Udon Recipe (Kitsune Udon and Dashi)

Japanese Udon: Kitsune UdonThere is no secret that I adore Japanese cuisine and wish to learn more about it. Today, I am very pleased to have Marc at No Recipes as a guest writer on Rasa Malaysia. Marc shares his kitsune udon recipe, elaborates on Japanese dashi (the building block of Japanese cuisine), and introduces key Japanese ingredients in this udon recipe post. Please welcome No Recipes to Rasa Malaysia.

Kitsune Udon Recipe
Guest Writer: No Recipes

When I was very young, my mother used to make me bento boxes to take to school filled with all kinds of Japanese treats. As the only “ethnic” kid in a private kindergarten, I half-heartedly accepted the parcel every morning, wondering what lunch-time horror awaited me inside that turquoise plastic container…

It’s not that I didn’t look forward to my mother’s cooking. It was the crowd of on-lookers that would inevitably gather to gawk at the “weird” and “disgusting” stuff in my lunchbox that I dreaded. I’d often have some inarizushi, which my friends affectionately labeled “turds”. I yearned for a PBJ and a pack of Cheetos, I yearned to be normal.

Fast forward 20-some years and I’d now become the cook in the house. In fact, I enjoyed it so much, I decided to start a blog to share my thoughts on food with others. Still scarred by my childhood experiences I shied away from posting anything Japanese for a few weeks, and even then, I tried to make it the exception rather than the rule.

It didn’t take long though before I realized that what was once weird, was now wondrous, and what was once disgusting, was now delicious. As if sushi counters in grocery stores weren’t evidence enough, I finally figured out that Japanese food had in-fact gone mainstream.

So you would think that I would have been overjoyed that my people’s food was accepted into the grand halls of American popular culture, but to be honest, it was a mixed blessing. With widespread acceptance, came widespread misrepresentation. I’m all for exploring new foods and experimenting with them (that’s what No Recipes is all about), but I think it’s important to understand the nature of the dish before haphazardly adding and omitting ingredients.

As an example, I’ve seen many recipes floating around with rave comments explaining that the proper way to make miso soup is to put miso in a bowl then adding hot water. Similarly I’ve seen udon recipes that only call for soy sauce and water for the broth. Making miso soup, or udon broth without dashi is akin to making chicken soup without the chicken.

When Rasa Malaysia asked me to write a guest post, I jumped at the chance. First because she is awesome and has a fantastic blog (but you already know that), and secondly because it would give me a chance to elaborate on one of the fundamental building blocks of Japanese cuisine: dashi.

The term dashi refers to a whole family of stocks which are mostly seafood based, using umami-rich ingredients such as kezurikatsuo, niboshi, kombu and even shiitake mushrooms. By using these basic ingredients in different proportions you can produce different stocks that range from light and subtle to bold and complex.

Of course we live in an age of convenience, and most people these days (even Japanese people), turn to powdered dashi. It’s cheap, quick, and tastes okay, but one look at the list of ingredients and you’ll notice that almost all powdered dashi contains MSG. I tend to lump powdered dashi in with bouillon cubes; they’re nice to have on hand in a pinch, but they are no replacement for homemade (or even canned) chicken stock. The good news is that unlike chicken stock, dashi doesn’t take a day to make. Fifteen minutes, a pot and a few basic ingredients is all you’ll need.

Today I’m writing about Kitsune Udon, but with this basic soup recipe you’re free to put whatever you want on top of it, making anything from curry udon to tempura udon. I’ve even been known to throw some Mapo Tofu on top, though this certainly isn’t a common practice.

Kitsune udon literally translates to “fox udon” and while I’m not certain why it’s called this, I can assure you that fox has never been an ingredient in this dish. My guess is that the abura-age has a color similar to that of a fox. Tanuki udon is another one that’s named after an animal (raccoon) and contains bits of fried tempura batter. Both the fox and raccoon have a deep rooted history in Japanese folk-lore with the fox being characterized as sneaky and deceitful, while the raccoon is seen as mischievous yet helpful.

Japanese Udon: Kitsune UdonOne other thing to note is that the seasoned abura-age in this recipe is identical to what’s used to make the brown tofu wrappers for inarizushi. If you were so inclined, you could make a big batch, then eat some of them on the udon and stuff the rest with sushi rice. But please make sure you ask before sticking it in your kindergartners lunch. :)

And now, on to the udon and dashi recipe. For an in depth explanation of some of the ingredients, just click on the links.

Click Page 2 for the Udon Recipe (Kitsune Udon and Dashi) Recipe

1. Loooren says:

Actually, the name “kitsune udon” comes from the old belief that abura-age is their favourite food. Just in case you’d like to know ^_^

2. Craftpassion says:

Wow, looks delicious… I love UDON and Ramen. The pictures really makes me feel hungry!

3. Maria says:

I am loving this one!! Udon is so tasty!

I love kitsune udon. The kitsune is always so tasty with all the essence soaked into the kitsune. I don’t like the tempura udon because the tempura becomes soggy. Thanks for this udon recipe! :)

5. Jennifer says:

What a great dish.. I love all the components that go into it!

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

6. helen says:

It’s great to see you here, Marc.

My childhood trauma? Chinese dumplings. My mom would send me to school with a thermo lunchbox full of pork and cabbage dumplings she made herself, accompanied by little packets of soy sauce and sesame oil. I was taunted. This was in the 80s, before pot stickers and gyozas became mainstream.

7. david santos says:

Great menu and good food! Congrats!!!!

8. Marc @ NoRecipes says:

Loooren, ahhh that makes much more sense. Thanks!

Thanks Craftpassion, udon is so much easier to make (not to mention healthier) than ramen. Give it a try sometime:-)

Helen, yea early 80′s was around the time I was going through my trauma, so I can relate. Thanks for sharing your story:-)

9. vegetable says:

Mean kids. Take comfort in that what you were eating was so much better than that processed drek.

Love kitsune soba. And since I lived in Japan for 9 years I’m thoroughly missing it and much else these days, that is, when I don’t cook at home or go to my favourite J. restaurant. Trouble is, I want to do that almost every day.

Thanks for the recipe. :)

10. Mike says:

I am so glad you guest post on Rasa Malaysia, and very happy to have discovered your blog. Love the detailed write up about the ingredients and the recipe. Dashi is so good and healthy even French chefs use them nowadays.

11. white on rice couple says:

Marc, I completely agree with you about dashi. Since I started cooking with it, there’s no comparison to the flavors and umami.
    This is a beautiful and delicious dish! Wish I had a bowl of this beautiful noodle comfort today.

12. Marc @ NoRecipes says:

@Vegetable, I’m sure they weren’t trying to be mean, kids are just very honest. I know what you mean about wanting wanting to go to J restaurants all the time, unfortunately I think it’s also probably the most expensive Asian food.

13. Rita says:

Marc, any suggestion for vegetarians that want to have the same great japanese flavours in a soup? How do they do at restaurants I wonder…huummm…. Great post, thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with us.

14. Marc @ NoRecipes says:

@Rita, While you could use just kelp or a combination of kelp and shiitake for your stock, to get the truly authentic flavor it needs the dried fish.

Most restaurants use the dried powdered dashi which is typically a combo of dried seafood with MSG although there are some brands that have MSG-free powdered dashi.

15. Carolyn Jung says:

It’s freezing and raining here. A huge bowl of udon would be just the ticket on a day like this.

16. oh my gosh. i adore kamaboko!! I wish I knew where to get it near-by!! I ALWAYS stuff my face when I go home from college!!

17. Rose says:

Just imagine how much PBJ and a pack of Cheetos along with other fast-food American mothers packed brought childhood obesity. Now it’s time for them to abhore fatty food and learn from your mother’s wisdom. You grew up to be such a talented, healthy, (and pretty!!) cook and I really admire you for overcoming dreadful moments from the kindergarten.

18. Pingback:Basic Udon with Pan-Fried Tofu « Big Scary Kitchen

19. Pingback:52 Breakfasts: #13 « Snapping Dreams

20. Mike C. says:

Hello, thank you for the great recipe! I’m a university student, so quick delicious recipes are always good to find! :)

21. Now that’s what I was looking for – a genuinely authentic udon recipe that would remind of the year I spent teaching English in Japan! Thank you so much, most of the udon recipes on the internet are just about plain old noodles, I was starting to doubt that anyone knew what real udon was!!!

22. Pingback:Kitsune (“Fox”) Udon | Eat It, Atlanta

23. Pingback:Miso Soup Recipe « Cooking with Alison

24. Bou says:

I made this last nite and it was soo good! Thanks!

25. Pingback:This Week’s Menu «

26. Pingback:Kitsune Udon and Cucumber Wakame Sunomono « Dinner With Weijia

27. Everything is very open with a really clear clarification of the issues.
    It was really informative. Your site is very useful. Many thanks for sharing!

28. Jillian says:

Great recipe!! I’ve been missing Udon so much after leaving Korea, now I can make it myself anytime I want, this tastes exactly like they make it at the noodle shops. Thanks!!

29. Janelle says:

I just discovered the magic that is udon at Sushi Kudasai in Seattle. Three days in a row now I have gone there for lunch; they are going to know me by name!

I agree with Recipe Momma, the other recipes online are just chicken noodle soup with udon noodles. This sounds more like the delicious soup that I love. I am going to have to try this recipe soon.

30. Pingback:No-fry udon with vegetable soup recipe by ServicefromHeart | Service from heart