Vegetable Chow Mein http://rasamalaysia.com/vegetable-chow-mein/
Vegetable Chow Mein
Vegetable Chow Mein pictures (1 of 4)

I have many vegetarian/vegan readers and many of them requested me to post more vegetarian recipes. The truth is, I love vegetarian food. Back in Penang, Malaysia, my family follows a ritual of fasting and having vegetarian diet for at least three days  to celebrate a local festivity. While growing up, every year I would look forward to being vegetarian and eating vegetarian food as my aunt and late mother would belt out dishes upon dishes of fantastic and mouthwatering dishes. We would also change all the utensils and serve wares during the fasting/vegetarian festival. It was always so much fun, eating better, healthier, with only the simplest of ingredients.

Anyway, I made this vegetable chow mein a while ago, when I made my chicken chow mein. I had some leftover noodles and I decided to make vegetable chow mein the next day. Many of my recipes on Rasa Malaysia can be adapted to vegetarian by opting out the  meat, and replaced with vegetarian/vegan protein of your choice, in this case, I used mushrooms in lieu of meat.

Vegetable Chow Mein

To jazz up the dish, I served it with dollops of garlic chili sauce. It was simple, delicious, and utterly satisfying. If you are a vegetarian/vegan, you can learn the basic of Asian noodles following my vegetable chow mein recipe here.

Click Page 2 for the Vegetable Chow Mein Recipe

1. Armando Daguinod says:

Wow! nice and easy healthylicious dish, thanks for sharing

2. Jayne Lee says:

I can totally attest to how simple and tasty that is.

3. Mr. Krispy says:

Are rice noodles a good substitute for us Vegans who don’t eat egg noodles?

4. Angela Sciurca says:

Is there a way of getting the nutritional info on these dishes? I don’t seem to ever see any. Thank you. I really love your recipes, but would make more if I knew the sodium, fat, carb, etc. value.

5. Peluche says:

What a recipe! It seems delicious!

6. Richard says:

Hi Rasa, this is such a delightful simple and light recipe. Thanks so much for sharing this :)

7. Harry Look says:

Love this recipe and fact of subbing mushrooms for the protein. Slicing a fried, scrambled egg can also add more protein if needed.
    For nutrition info, one can always go the the USDA website (ndb.nal.usda.gov) to get the nutrition content for each ingredient and then add it all up for the entire dish.

8. Pingback:Vegetarian Laksa – Taste.com.au | Vegetarian Recipes

9. Pingback:Chow Mein vegano | Traduce sin TACC

10. Rachael says:

I’m making this as we speak and my noodles turned out kind of mushy. 1st time cooking these kind of noodles. Probably treated them too much like spaghetti :-/ oops. Other than that really good! Btw, where can I find dark soy sauce? Been looking for it for a while now.

Thanks!