In French cuisine, snail is a much celebrated delicacy. So, when I was in France, I did it the French way–chowing down a bowl of these sea snails/whelks, or Bulots in French. (Thanks Pip for your information.)
I absolutely loved them and couldn’t get enough. Served cold with garlic mayonnaise, all I could say was “C’est si bon!” (It is so good!)
I found a recipe of Bulots Mayonnaise here, but for your convenience, I have summarized it below:
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 140 calories per serving.
What to Serve with this Recipe?
Serve this dish with other Malaysian dishes. For a Malaysia meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1/2 kg bulots (17 oz.)
- 1 1/2 liters water
- 1 glass dry white wine or a little wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, grain, not ground pepper
- 1 laurel leaf
- Some thyme leaves
- Some fresh parsley
- Salt to taste
For the Mayonnaise:
- 1 uncooked egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon French mustard from Dijon
- Peanut oil
- Olive oil
- Freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 garlic clove
- Salt to taste
- Clean the bulots by soaking in salt water and then rinsed with clean water a few times. Place them in a pan with cold water (1.5 liters) wine, pepper, the laurel leaf, thyme and parsley. Add salt to taste and heat until it's boiling.
- Skim when necessary, and let it lightly boil for 40 min.
- When cooked, let the snails cool off in their cooking juices. When cold you'll eat them with thouthpicks. Everything but the opercula is edible.
- In a bowl mix the egg yolk and the mustard with a little spoon. Slowly add (little by little) the peanut oil. Add a little olive oil (5 teaspoons) for flavour, and then salt and one teaspoon of fresh lemon juice to taste. Mix everything well and set aside.
- Press the garlic clove or cut it into very fine slices. Add the garlic to the mayonnaise to fit your taste. Adjust mayonnaise to your flavour by adding more lemon juice, salt, or garlic to taste.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 140Total Fat 3gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 111mgSodium 127mgCarbohydrates 3gProtein 20g