Most people like playing with their food, and hand roll sushi, or temaki sushi is one of the fun and delicious ways to enjoy sushi.
Temaki sushi basically means sushi which are hand-rolled, where you assemble the sushi filling of mostly fish or shellfish, and then rolled with nori (seaweed) sheets into hand roll sushi.
Hand roll is great for sushi parties, as guests (especially those who are not familiar with sushi) learn about the art of sushi making.
As with any sushi, the fundamental of a great sushi starts with sushi rice.
I have shared my sushi rice recipe with you in my last post. For this hand roll or temaki recipe, all you have to do is prepare the filling, get some greens or leaves (I used radish sprouts), nori sheets, and you will have a serving of hand roll.
Plus, you don’t need a sushi mat so anyone can make hand rolls at home even though you don’t have a sushi making kit…
For the filling, I made some creamy spicy shrimp and scallop with masago (capelin roe), which is a great filling for hand roll, and convenient for those who can’t get sushi-grade fish where they are.
The creamy seafood filling pairs well with the vinegared sushi rice and the fresh radish sprouts. For the popping sensation in the mouth, I topped some extra masago on top of the filling. This hand roll is delightful.
For the assembling of the hand roll, follow the step-by-step pictures below.
Once you have mastered the skill, you can pretty much assemble the hand roll on your palm. Enjoy and do try out this hand roll recipe!
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 99 calories per serving.
Hand Roll Recipe (Temaki Recipe)
Hand roll is a popular sushi. Learn how to make hand roll with this easy hand roll recipe using Mizkan sushi seasoning and rice vinegar.
- Sushi rice recipe here
- Roasted seaweed, nori sheets, cut into 5-in x 8-in pieces
- 1 box radish sprouts, ends trimmed (2.5 oz box)
- Masago, for topping
Creamy Spicy Seafood Filling
- 4 oz shelled baby shrimps
- 4 oz bay scallops
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon masago
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degree F.
- 2Using a teaspoon, mix the mayonnaise, lime juice, Sriracha sauce, sugar, and masago. Set aside.
- 3Pat dry the baby shrimps and bay scallops with paper towels. Add half of the creamy spicy sauce to the seafood, stir to coat well. Transfer the seafood into an oven-safe dish or container. Top the seafood with the remaining creamy spicy sauce. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top turns slightly brown. Remove from the oven and let cool.
The Hand Roll
Prepare the sushi rice per the recipe here. Let cool to room temperature.
Bake the filling per the recipe above. Once the filling is cooled to room temperature, assemble the hand roll per the step-by-step picture guide below.
- 3Place a sheet of nori (roasted seaweed) on a flat surface. Wet your hand with some water and scoop out about 3 tablespoons of sushi rice and spread the rice evenly on the nori sheet. Leave about 1/2-inch on the sides.If you like more sushi rice in your hand roll, use 4 tablespoons of sushi rice.
- 4Add some radish sprouts on top of the rice, follow by the Filling. Arrange them at an angle for easy rolling.
- 5Roll up the hand roll, starting at the lower left hand corner of the nori sheet. Keep rolling to form a cone shape. Make sure you roll tightly to secure the sushi rice and fillings. Add some masago on top of the hand roll. Dip the hand roll with some soy sauce and wasabi, if you like.