(Chinese recipes, prepare authentic Chinese food now!)
If you love tofu, I am sure you have your favorite tofu dish–be it Mapo Tofu, claypot tofu, steamed tofu, or fried tofu. While many people think that tofu is tasteless and plain, I love tofu very much. Tofu can be very versatile and delicious, if you know how to pair it with other ingredients. Case-in-point: the home-style tofu dish shown above.
Home-style tofu is a homey dish, an everyday and humble dish. In Chinese, it’s called 家常豆腐. Every family has their own interpretation or recipe of home-style tofu.
My home-style tofu is really simple: a block of tofu, some mushrooms (I used canned button mushrooms), ground pork, and shrimp. The sauce is the popular Chinese brown sauce that consists of oyster sauce and soy sauce.
It sure doesn’t look as beautiful and tempting as Mapo Tofu, it’s quite tasty nonetheless, and great with steamed white rice.
Here is my recipe for home-style tofu or 家常豆腐. This tofu recipe also kick starts a series of homey dishes that I am going to share with you here on Rasa Malaysia–recipes that are great for everyday meal, and budget-friendly and great for the current tough economy.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 226 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
- 1 block fresh or boxed tofu (soft or silken)
- 2 oz (60g) ground pork
- 6 shrimps
- 10 canned button mushroom
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 stalk scallions (chopped into small rounds)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Cut the tofu into small pieces, pat dry with paper towels. Mix the brown sauce mixture well and set aside.
- Heat up a wok and add cooking oil. When the oil is heated, add garlic and stir-fry until light brown. Add in the ground pork, shrimp, and mushroom. Stir-fry to break the ground pork into smaller lumps, then follow by the tofu.
- Do a quick stir before adding the brown sauce mixture. Gently stir-fry the tofu and bring the sauce to boil. Add the chopped scallions, do a few quick stirs, dish out and serve immediately with steamed white rice.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.