Since my trip to Jamaice 5 years ago, I have fallen in love with Jamaican jerk chicken–the food that I ate in Jamaica every day during that vacation.
So, as soon as I met up with Cynthia of Tastes Like Home in Barbados during my recent cruise vacation, I told her to take me to a local store to buy “real” jerk seasoning, and she kindly bought me a bottle of “Walkerwood Spicy Jerk Marinate”–a product made in Jamaica–plus other Barbabos marinate goodies.
I marinated the chicken overnight with the jerk seasoning, grilled the jerk chicken to perfection, and then brushed them with some olive oil before serving. These Jamaican jerk chicken were fiery hot and very spicy, just the way I like it…
I paired the jerk chicken skewers with mandarin orange salsa, which helped to tone down the heat. Plus, the salsa reminded of my leisure days in the islands of the Caribbean, where life is about sun, warmth, fun, and happiness.
Mandarin Orange Salsa Recipe
Jamaica Jerk Chicken with Mandarin Orange Salsa - juicy and moist jerk-marinated chicken with refreshing sals.
- 1 can mandarin oranges (11 oz. net weight)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped onions
- 1Open the can and drain the mandarin oranges. Set aside.
- 2In a mixing bowl, mix the mandarin oranges, lime juice, chopped cilantro and onions. Chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour, serve cold.