How to Make Cinnamon Rolls
Cinnamon rolls are a comfort food – the sweet smell of cinnamon lingers in the kitchen, and the warm and sweet rolls are a treat that I can eat all year long.
When you have a craving for cinnamon rolls, waiting for the dough to rise just doesn’t seem ideal.
Luckily, pizza dough is a great alternative. You can pick up a couple pounds of fresh dough at the grocery store, no problem.
Ingredients for Cinnamon Roll Recipe
- Vanilla extract
- Pizza dough
- Make sure to let the pizza dough sit for about a half hour, so it’s easier to roll out.
- When you’re done baking these, top the cinnamon rolls with sweet icing.
- You can serve them alongside a cold glass of milk or my favorite, a hot cup of freshly brewed coffee.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I substitute water for milk in cinnamon rolls?
The milk in this recipe is used to make the icing. It is recommended to use milk; however, if seeking non-dairy alternatives, use soy milk or almond milk.
What kind of cinnamon does Cinnabon use?
If you are trying to imitate the famous Cinnabon rolls, you would have to use Makara, which is Korintje cinnamon. This cinnamon is more flavorful than the regular cinnamon you typically find.
How many calories?
This recipe has 502 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
This dish is best served as a snack or dessert. For a wholesome weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
Pairs well with:
Pizza Dough Cinnamon Rolls
Pizza Dough Cinnamon Rolls - The easiest cinnamon rolls recipe EVER made with store-bought pizza dough. Quick and no-fuss recipe for busy moms!
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (120 g)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 g)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (30 g)
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon (30 mL)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, separated (5 mL)
- 2 pounds fresh pizza dough (908 g)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water (5 mL)
- 1 cup powdered sugar (100 g)
- 3 tablespoons milk (15 mL)
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, and coat a 9-inch by 13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- 2In a bowl, mix together the butter, granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- 3Lightly flour work surface and roll out the pizza dough into a 12- by 15-inch rectangle. Evenly spread the butter mixture over the dough, making sure to reach the edges. Roll the dough, starting from the long side, and cut into 9 pieces. Place in the pan, leaving space for the dough to expand while baking.
- 4Combine the egg and water, and brush the wash over the rolls.
Bake for 40 minutes.
While the cinnamon rolls cool (at least 15 minutes), make the icing by mixing the powdered sugar, milk and remaining vanilla extract. Drizzle over the rolls and serve.
For a thicker icing, use less milk.