(Chinese recipes, prepare authentic Chinese food now!)
This is the last of my red bean paste recipes.
Truth be told, I didn’t really have a recipe of my own so I referred to my Chinese cookbook “Yan Kit’s Classic Chinese Cookbook.”
The recipe is pretty good, except one flaw. If you look at my pictures, you will notice that my pancakes were thick, really thick. A good pancake should be thin and comes with crispy skin, with ample filling of red bean paste…
Other than being thick-skinned, I think the recipe works just fine. I adapted the original recipe slightly so that the pancake batter is lighter.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 101 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons canned red bean paste
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- cooking oil for deep frying
- In a mixing bowl, blend the egg, flour, and water together to form the batter. Divide the batter into 2 equal portion.
- Put a smear of oil on an 8-inch flat, non-stick frying pan and wipe all over with a paper towel. Pour all but 1 teaspoon of one portion of the batter into the frying pan and tilt it to let the mixture run evenly to the edges, forming a thin layer.
- Cook over low heat for about 2 minutes, or until it becomes a thin pancake but without any brown spots. Do not turn the pancake over.
- Loosen the edges and using a spatula, lift the pancake to a lightly oiled plate or a flat surface.
- Make the other pancake the same way.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of the red bean paste across the middle third of each pancake, leaving about 1 inch at either end. Fold the near flap over the bean paste and the side flaps inwards and then the far flap over towards the center. Seal with a little of the leftover batter smeared on the edges.
- Smear sesame seeds on the surface of the pancakes. Seal with the leftover batter.
- Heat the wok or deep fryer (to 350 degree) and deep fry the pancakes until they turn golden in color.
- Remove the pancake from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Cut each pancake into strips and serve immediately.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 101Total Fat 2gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 40mgSodium 16mgCarbohydrates 16gSugar 7gProtein 3g