Before I came to the United States, I’d known okra as lady’s fingers.
I was in primary school in Malaysia when my English teacher first taught us the name of the different vegetables. The strange and awkward name of lady’s fingers deeply imprinted in my mind even though I didn’t like them back then.
In high school, I slowly learned to appreciate okra or lady’s fingers, especially when my mother made sambal okra. I started to love the slimy and sticky texture and its beautiful shape when sliced in pieces. Most of all, I loved the delicious good taste. I eventually fell in love with okra…(get sambal okra recipe after the jump)
Here is a simple sambal okra recipe that I absolutely adore. The addition of dried shrimp adds depth to the taste structure of this simple but scrumptious dish.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 111 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 10 lady’s fingers
- 5 dried red chili, soaked and remove seeds
- 5 fresh red chili, remove seeds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 10 shallots
- 1 teaspoon belacan/ shrimp paste, toasted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 20 g dried prawn, soaked and pounded
- Bring water to boil, add in the whole lady’s fingers and simmer until cooked. Remove from the wok, chop away ends and cut into strips, set aside.
- Heat up your wok, pour in 5 tablespoons oil, sauté the spice paste until aromatic with lower heat.
- Add in dried shrimp, stir-fry until fragrant. Dish onto the cut okras/lady’s fingers, or return okras/lady’s fingers to the wok and toss together. Serve hot.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 111Unsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 71mgSodium 236mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 3gSugar 11gProtein 8g