– 8 peaches peeled and sliced, about 6 to 8 cups
– 1/4 cup bourbon
– 3/4 cup sugar divided, plus more for dusting
– 2 tablespoons corn starch
– 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour sifted
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
– 2 sticks unsalted butter cold
– 3/4 cup heavy cream plus more for brushing
Prepare the dumplings: Into a food processor add the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut 1 1/2 sticks of butter into small pieces. Add it to the flour mixture and pulse until the mixture looks like wet sand.
In a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium-low heat, melt the remaining 1/2 stick of butter. Add the peaches and cook gently until heated through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a baking dish (or leave in the skillet). Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls over the warm peaches. There can be gaps, the dough will puff up and spread out as it bakes.
Brush the top with some heavy cream and sprinkle with some sugar; put it into the oven on a baking sheet to catch any drips. Cook for 40 to 45 minutes until the top is browned and the fruit is bubbling.