Easy Japanese green tea swiss roll recipe. Perfect for tea time afternoon break, so delicious you would want to make it everyday!
After a long hiatus, my baking contributor Siew Loon is finally back in action.
She baked us a nice Match Roll, or Green Tea Swiss Roll.
Get a cup of tea or coffee, sit back, and enjoy!
Contributor: Ho Siew Loon
I am finally back after a very long break.
I love Japanese pastries and cakes and it is simply irresistible.
It is just so perfect and delicate.
One of my favorites is the Matcha Roll and it is always on my TO EAT list whenever I visit Japan.
After some trial and error, I finally get the Matcha Roll recipe that I love.
And I wanted to share it with the readers on Rasa Malaysia.
Matcha roll is actually a combination of cottony soft sponge cake rolled with fresh cream and cooked adzuki beans (red beans).
It is so soft and moist that the cake is gone the very moment you slice it for serving.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 324 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
For Swiss Roll Cake:
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup fine sugar
- 1/2 cup cake flour plus 2 teaspoon matcha powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- canned red bean filling, available in Japanese or Asian grocery stores
To make the filling:
- Whip the cream with sugar until creamy and thick. Keep in the refrigerator to chill.
To Make the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 230°C (440°F). Line and grease a 10" x 12" rectangle pan.
- Beat the egg yolks and 1/2 the sugar until thick and pale. In another bowl, beat the egg whites with the remaining sugar until stiff. Fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg white.
- Fold in the flour mixture and melted butter. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes.
To Assemble the Cake:
- Transfer the cake to a piece of parchment paper. Spread an even layer of cream onto the cake and topped with red beans. Roll the cake up from the long end. Once it is firmly rolled up, wrap it up with the parchment paper and refrigerate it for at least an hour before serving.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 324Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 11gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 202mgSodium 105mgCarbohydrates 28gSugar 15gProtein 7g