What is Focaccia?
Focaccia is a soft and fluffy flat bread made with olive oil and various toppings.
It originated in Genoa, Italy, and has since become one of the most popular breads and Italian recipes in the world.
You can eat Focaccia bread any time of the day, with coffee for breakfast, with a glass of wine during meal time, or as a snack or appetizer throughout the day.
This authentic Italian Focaccia recipe is one of the easiest bread recipes ever.
It’s 100% homemade, easy, no fuss and takes less than 2 hours.
The recipe calls for five (5) basic ingredients:
- Olive oil
- All-purpose flour
- Instant yeast
- Warm water
You can add a variety of toppings. Here are some of the popular ingredients to top off the bread:
- Herbs such as rosemary, oregano, sage or Italian basil.
- Olives can be added to the dough.
- Sliced onion can be used as a Focaccia topping.
- Vegetables such as cherry tomatoes, artichoke and mushrooms can also be added as the toppings.
How to Make Focaccia?
To make focaccia pizza, first you mix all the ingredients above to form a sticky dough. You can do it without mixer and by hand.
Transfer the dough into a baking pan and let it rise at room temperature for 60 minutes.
Gently poke the dough all over with your index finger and add the toppings.
For the toppings, I used sea salt flakes, garlic, fresh rosemary and oregano, yielding the best homemade Focaccia bread.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it Vegan?
This is a healthy vegan recipe as it calls for olive oil instead of butter.
Also, no diary products are present in the recipe.
What Are the Most Popular Toppings for Focaccia?
Rosemary and garlic are two of the most popular toppings.
You can use either rosemary, garlic or combine the both.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
The bread is only 377 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
This bread is best served with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. It’s a fabulous side dish or appetizer for dinner.
For an authentic Italian meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, to drizzle onto the pan
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast or active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes or kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoons chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- Drizzle about 2 tablespoons olive oil into a 9" x 13" pan.
- Combine all of the Dough ingredients, and beat at high speed with an electric mixer for 60 seconds.
- Scoop the sticky batter into the prepared pan, cover the pan, and let it rise at room temperature for 60 minutes.
- While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Gently poke the dough all over with your index finger.
- Drizzle it lightly with olive oil, and sprinkle with the salt, minced garlic, rosemary and oregano.
- Bake the bread until it's golden brown, 30 minutes. Remove it from the oven, wait 5 minutes, then turn it out of the pan onto a rack and cut into pieces. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Adapted from King Arthur Flour.
Amount Per Serving Calories 377Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 0mgSodium 896mgCarbohydrates 58gFiber 3gSugar 0gProtein 8g