It’s been raining here in Southern California. For days.
When it rains, the Rasa Malaysia kitchen is closed because I only develop, cook and shoot new recipes when the sun is out.
So I apologize of the lack of updates and recipes since the holidays.
My baking assistant and I worked on this amazing, soft, cottony Japanese-inspired milk bread recipe before the holidays but I never got a chance to share the recipe until now.
This milk bread recipe applies a roux technique to make the dough.
First part of the dough is cooked first.
This technique yeilds soft, puffy and absolutely amazing bread.
You can make this using regular 9X5″ loaf pan or baking dishes for split-top buns.
I made them into these cute clover-shaped buns because they are just so cute.
Pairs well with:
Milk Bread Recipe
Milk Bread – Japanese-inspired milk bread that is cotton soft, sweet and delicious. Using roux method, this milk bread recipe is a keeper.
- 5 1/3 cups bread flour, divided, plus more for surface
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast, from about 3 envelopes
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature (4 tablespoons)
- nonstick vegetable oil spray
- flaky sea salt
- 1Cook 1/3 cup flour and 1 cup water in a small saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly, until a thick paste forms, about 5 minutes. Add cream, honey and cook, whisking until honey dissolves.
- 2Transfer mixture to a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook and add milk powder, yeast, kosher salt, 2 eggs, and 5 cups flour. Knead on medium speed until dough is smooth, about 5 minutes. Add butter, a piece at a time, fully incorporating into dough before adding the next piece, until dough is smooth, shiny, and elastic, about 4 minutes.
- 3Coat a large bowl with nonstick spray and transfer dough to bowl, turning to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- 4Lightly coat a 6-cup jumbo muffin pan with nonstick spray. Turn out dough onto a floured surface and divide into 6 pieces. Divide each piece into 3 smaller pieces. Place 3 pieces of dough side-by-side in each muffin cup. Let rise again in a warm place until doubled in size and puffing over top of muffin pan), about 1 hour.
- 5Preheat oven to 375°. Beat remaining egg with 1 tsp. water. Brush top of dough with egg wash and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until bread is deep golden brown, about 25–35 minutes. Let milk bread cool slightly in pan before turning out.