Fruit Salad Recipe
I love a good fruit salad recipe with my favorite fresh fruit such as apples, Asian pear, mandarin oranges and shrimp.
I always serve my fruit salad with butter lettuce or iceberg lettuce just like a fruit lettuce wrap.
The end result is always a fresh and healthy serving of salad that is ambrosia and yummy yummy!
Other Salad Recipes You Might Like
This recipe calls for the following fresh fruit and ingredients:
- Green apple and red apple.
- Asian pear.
- Canned mandarin oranges. Make sure you drain the syrup and pat the mandarin oranges dry before mixing with the dressing.
You can also use a combination of berries, for examples: strawberry, raspberry, blueberries as well as blackberries.
I make the creamy dressing with mayonnaise, honey and lemon juice.
How to Make Fruit Salad?
It’s very easy to make homemade fruit salad. All you have to do is choose at least two to three of your favorite fruit.
Next, peel the fruit and cut them into bite-sized pieces. I like to add shrimp to jazz up the overall taste and presentation.
The final step is to mix the diced fruit with the dressing and a fresh serving of the best salad is done!
I am sure you have salads with too many fruit in a runny and watery dressing.
For the best fruit salad, make sure you follow my tips below:
- Choose fruits that are dry in nature, for instance: apple or pear. This will ensure that the moisture content in the fruit do not dilute the creamy dressing.
- Avoid using canned fruit like peaches and pineapples. They are soaked in syrup and have lost the crisp texture and freshness.
- I love canned mandarin oranges because they are sweet and peeled without pith.
- Add the dressing to the fruit right before serving. This will avoid the dressing from getting runny or watery.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Cool Whip for Fruit Salad Recipe?
I don’t recommend cool whip as a dressing but you can use it as a topping.
You may add a small teaspoon on top of the salad before serving.
Can I Use Cream Cheese or Sour Cream?
I don’t recommend cream cheese or sour cream in this recipe. The texture and taste of both ingredients clash with the fresh taste of fruit.
For the best dressing, use a combination of mayonnaise, honey and lemon juice.
What Tropical Fruit Can I Use?
Some tropical fruit such as lychee and mangoes are great for this recipe.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe serves 8 people as an appetizer. It is only 240 calories per serving.
What to Serve with This Recipe?
Fruit salad is great for entertaining and best served with other appetizers. For a backyard spring/summer party, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 can (15 oz.) mandarin oranges, drained and pat dry with paper towels
- 1 green apple, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 red apple, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 Asian pear, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 6 oz. (170 g) peeled and deveined shrimp, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey or powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- Butter lettuce, leaves peeled, optional
Prepare the fruit, transfer them to a big salad bowl and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Heat up a skillet on medium heat and add oil. Cook the shrimp until they are cooked and the edges slightly crisp up. Set aside to drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
Add the mayonnaise, honey and lemon juice to the fruit salad. Add shrimp, dill and gently stir all the ingredients together. Do not over mix.
Scoop some fruit salad on a butter lettuce leave and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving Calories 240Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 51mgSodium 290mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 2gSugar 24gProtein 5g