Homemade Lemonade Recipe
On a hot day, it’s hard to beat a tall glass of icy cold homemade lemonade.
Summer is almost officially over, but we still have some hot days ahead of us here in Southern California. It doesn’t have to be hot to enjoy this super refreshing lemonade.
This is the best lemonade recipe you will ever have. It’s better than the restaurant with the same name!
What Are The Ingredients for Lemonade?
This fresh lemonade recipe has 3 unique ingredients that set it apart from regular lemonade.
The first is Meyer lemons. Meyer lemons are smaller and a little sweeter than regular lemons. They come from China and are a cross between a regular lemon and a mandarin orange.
They are available from December – May, but I find them at my local Trader Joe’s all year round.
The second ingredient is Calamansi limes. These can be found at Asian markets. These limes are tart and aromatic. They smell amazing and bring a citrusy balance to this lemonade.
The last ingredient is using a good quality coconut water as the base. I used Vita CoCo Pure Coconut Water which you can find at Costco.
How To Make Lemonade?
This lemonade recipe uses real lemons and makes 1 quart with the following ingredients:
- Meyer lemon juice
- Meyer lemon slices
- Calamansi juice
- Fresh mint leaves
- Coconut water
- Ice cubes
In a pitcher, combine Meyer lemon juice, Meyer lemon slices, Calamansi juice and mint leaves together. Bruise the mint leaves lightly.
Add the coconut water, sugar and stir to combine well. Store in the fridge until chilled.
Stir before serving and add ice cubes and more sugar to taste. You can also garnish with Meyer lemon slices.
What To Serve with Lemonade?
- You can use honey as the sweetener instead of granulated sugar.
- You can substitute thyme for the mint, thyme and lemon pair beautifully together.
- You can use water instead of coconut water as the base. I just love the tropical taste of pure coconut water.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Add Alcohol?
Yes, you can add up to 1 cup of vodka, rum, gin or other alcohol of your choice for a spiked version. Enjoy responsibly!
Do I have To Use Meyer Lemons?
No, you can use regular lemons. You might have to adjust the amount of sugar because regular lemons are more tart than Meyer lemons.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 162 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1/2 cup Meyer lemon juice (about 3 to 4 Meyer lemons)
- sliced Meyer lemons
- 1/4 cup Calamansi lime juice
- 1 bunch mint leaves
- 3 cups pure coconut water (Vita Coco brand)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups ice cube
- In a pitcher, combine the Meyer lemon juice, sliced Meyer lemon, Calamansi lime juice and mint leaves together. Muddle the mint leaves a little bit until slightly bruised. Add the coconut water and sugar. Stir to mix well. Chill in the refrigerator.
- Add ice cubes to the lemonade before serving. You may add a sliced of Meyer lemon to the edge of the glass before serving.
Serving Size6 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 162Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 1gSodium 127mgCarbohydrates 41gFiber 2gSugar 37gProtein 1g