Grilled Chicken Thighs Recipe
Today I am going to share the best grilled chicken thighs recipe with you that calls for only three ingredients: chicken thighs (bone in), homemade dry rub and liquid smoke.
Other Summer Grilling Recipes You Might Like
How to Grill Chicken Thighs?
How to make the juiciest grilled chicken thighs on a gas grill? I am sure many of you have had dry, overcooked and burned thighs that taste pretty much like a piece of charcoal.
To get the chicken perfectly cooked, with charred and crispy skin while retaining the juice inside the chicken, you need to know how long to cook, grill time and at what temperature.
Here are the tips and techniques for the best grill and BBQ every time!
- Grill the chicken thighs on direct heat at 300 degrees Fahrenheit, about 2 minutes on each side, with the skin side down first. Turn the chicken thighs a couple of times to avoid burning.
- Move the chicken thighs to the side without direct heat.
- Cover the lid of the gas grill and continue to barbeque the chicken thighs for about 6-8 minutes. The hot air in the grill will BBQ and cook the chicken and retain the juice.
- The grilling time depends on the size of the thighs, but the internal temperature should be 165° Fahrenheit (75° Celsius) when it’s completely cooked through.
- If you don’t have a thermometer, check doneness by cutting a slit to see the inside of the chicken.
Dry Rub Marinade
For this recipe, I used my homemade dry rub as a marinade for the chicken thighs. The dry rub consists of the following ingredients:
- Salt and sugar/brown sugar
- Chili powder
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic powder
- Steak seasoning (McCormick brand)
- Cayenne pepper
I also used liquid smoke to bring out extra smokiness and aromas in the grilled chicken. The end result is legendary, to say the least!
Frequently Asked Questions
Difference Between BBQ and Grilling?
BBQ is done when you cook with the lid closed, cooking with the circumventing hot air inside the grill.
Grilling is when you cook with the lid open, with direct heat searing the meat. In my recipe, I used both BBQ and grilling techniques to keep my chicken moist and extremely juicy.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
These grilled chicken thighs are only calories 418 per serving (about 2 pieces).
What to Serve with this Recipe?
Serve the chicken with summer side dishes. For a healthy summer meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 1/2 lbs bone in chicken thighs (5 small thighs)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons homemade dry rub
- 1/2 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for grilling
- Score the bottom part of the chicken thighs lengthwise with a few slits. This will make sure that the marinade ingredients get inside the chicken meat.
- Marinate the chicken thighs with homemade dry rub and liquid smoke. Stir to combine well.
- Grill the chicken thighs on direct heat at 300 degrees Fahrenheit, about 2 minutes on each side, with the skin side down first. Turn the chicken thighs a couple of times to avoid burning. Baste the chicken with olive oil while grilling.
- Move the chicken thighs to the side of the grill without direct heat and barbeque the chicken. Cover the gas grill and continue to barbeque the chicken thighs for about 6-8 minutes. The hot air in the grill will BBQ and cook the chicken and will retain the juice. The grilling time depends on the size of the thighs, but the internal temperature should be 165° Fahrenheit (75° Celsius) when it's completely cooked through. Serve hot with your favorite hot sauce.
Serving Size3 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 418Total Fat 37gSaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 189mgSodium 155mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 32g