What is crostini?
Crostini is an Italian appetizer made of toasted bread with a variety of toppings such as cheese, smoked salmon, caviar, fruit slices, cured meats and/or vegetables.
This amazing appetizer is crisp, light and absolutely delightful to eat.
They are especially popular as a finger food or an appetizer, served at parties or special occasions.
Authentic Italian crostini are made from traditional and crusty Italian bread.
If you can’t find Italian bread, you can certainly use French baguette as the base of crostini.
It’s important that you choose a bread that is crusty and has a bite to it.
To make crostini, use a bread knife to slice the bread into 3/4 to 1-inch pieces.
Brush olive oil on the crostini bread with a brush and lightly toast in the oven. The bread is now ready for toppings.
How to Make Crostini?
You don’t have to go to expensive restaurants for these amazing appetizers. Homemade recipe is better and much cheaper.
First, slice and toast the bread with an olive oil mixture seasoned with salt and black pepper.
The next step is to assemble the topping ingredients and spread on top of each slice of toast. It’s that easy!
You can use a variety of ingredients as toppings. You can mix and match the following ingredients for new dimensions in taste and presentation.
- Use sour cream, creme fraiche or cream cheese as the base. For a more intense flavors, you can use blue cheese or ricotta cheese.
- Cure meats such as prosciutto, salami and pepperoni.
- Seafood such as smoked salmon, shrimp, crab, fish roes and caviar are popular toppings.
- Fruits such as sliced pear, fig, peach, apple,
- Vegetables such as tomatoes (including cherry tomatoes and grape tomatoes), broccoli or celery
- Walnuts, pine nuts and sliced almonds.
- Dills, basil leaves and sage are popular as the final touch to the toppings.
I made smoked salmon crostini, with sour cream, caviar and dill as the toppings. They are absolutely delicious!
For the best results, follow my tips below:
- Make the bread and toast in the oven ahead of time, up to a day in advance. Keep them covered or store in a plastic bag.
- Assemble the toppings for the crostini appetizers one hour or thirty minutes before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make Ahead of Time?
Yes, you sure can. For the freshest taste, make the toast one day in advance or the day before serving.
Cover them up or store them in a plastic bag.
Can You Freeze Leftover Crostini?
I don’t recommend freezing as it’s not ideal to reheat them after freezing.
You can keep the leftovers in the refrigerator by wrapping or covering them up with plastic wrap.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
Each crostini is only 84 calories.
What to Serve with this Recipe?
Serve this dish with other appetizers. For a dinner party or special social occasions, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 loaf crusty Italian bread or French baguette sliced into 30 pieces (3/4-inch thick)
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 - 6 oz smoked salmon, sliced into 30 pieces
- 1 oz American paddlefish caviar
- dill, for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make the Crostini Toasts. Mix the olive oil with salt and ground black pepper. Brush the olive oil mixture on one side of the toast. Arrange the baguette slices on two large rimmed baking sheets.
- Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until lightly toasted, 10 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets. You may make Crostini bread one day in advance. Keep in the plastic bag for storing.
- Crostini Toppings: Combine the sour cream, lemon juice and salt together. Stir to mix well. Spread the sour cream on each piece of the toast. Top with sliced smoked salmon, caviar and garnish with dill. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving Calories 84Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 15mgSodium 185mgCarbohydrates 6gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 4g