Blinis are Russian-style mini pancakes that are a delicious appetizer with savory or sweet toppings such as smoked salmon, caviar, fruits, or berry jam. They are absolutely delicious, just like Russian potato pancakes.
You can make the best homemade blinis in only 15 minutes, and the result is always fool-proof. They are soft, buttery, and taste amazing with salmon slices and sour cream on top. If you like to make them a little fancier, add a teaspoon of caviar to enhance the taste more.
They are always popular and a most attractive appetizer to serve at any time, especially for holidays.
Ingredients for Blinis Recipe
These buttery blinis call for a few simple ingredients:
- Buckwheat flour
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Unsalted butter
- Smoked salmon slices
- Sour cream
- Fresh dill
How to Make Blinis?
The healthy homemade blinis are so easy and quick to make. Once you have all the ingredients prepared, you are already halfway done with the dish.
First, add buckwheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl, and set aside. Next, whisk milk, egg, and two tablespoons of melted butter in a different bowl.
Combine the dry and wet ingredients in one bowl and whisk well.
Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in the nonstick frying pan on medium heat. Spoon the batter into the pan, one tablespoon for each pancake. Cook each blini for 2 minutes on each side. Gently flip each blini to cook both sides until golden brown on the edges.
Finally, assemble the toppings and serve immediately.
For the best result, follow my tips below:
- To ensure that each blini has a perfect brown crust, wipe the pan with paper towels before adding the melted butter and batter to make the next batch.
- Let the blinis cool down completely before assembling the toppings.
Frequently Asked Questions?
Can I Make the Blinis Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can. To ensure the blinis are fresh and tasty, you can make them the day before and store them in the refrigerator in an airtight plastic bag.
How Long Can You Keep the Blinis?
Store the leftovers in an airtight plastic bag or container and refrigerate them for up to 5 days. You can also freeze them for up to one month. Defrost the frozen blinis in the fridge, and warm them on the frying pan with medium-low heat.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 68 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 medium egg (2 oz with shell)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 6 oz smoked salmon slices
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- fresh dill
- Add buckwheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl, and set aside.
- Whisk milk, egg, and two tablespoons of melted butter in another bowl. Pour the mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well with a whisk.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Spoon the batter into the pan, one tablespoon for each. Cook each blini for 2 minutes on both sides. Gently flip each blini to cook both sides until golden brown on the edges.
- Remove the blinis and wipe the pan with a paper towel before adding more butter and batter. (Repeat the same process for the remaining batter.)
- Serve the blini with a thin slice of smoked salmon, and top it with sour cream and fresh dill.
Recipe source: Ina Garten
Amount Per Serving Calories 68Total Fat 2.8gSaturated Fat 1.1gCholesterol 19mgSodium 190mgCarbohydrates 6.8gFiber 0.2gSugar 0.6gProtein 3.9g