What is a crepe?
Crepes are French pancakes. They are thin and slightly crispy on the outer edges.
They are found in many places in France, for examples: creperies, cafes, bistros or on roadside stands.
French crepes are usually served sweet with powdered sugar (called crepe sucrée in French). They can also be served savory and called galettes.
It’s very easy to make this French delicacy at home. The crepe recipe is very easy and calls for simple ingredients:
- All-purpose flour
- Whole milk
- Unsalted butter
How to Make Simple Crepes
In this easy crepe recipe, I will teach you the step by step method on how to make crepes at home.
First, puree flour, sugar, salt, milk, eggs and butter in a blender until the batter is smooth.
To make the pancake, heat a nonstick pan over medium heat and coat with butter. Then add the batter and swirl around to over the pan evenly. Cook both sides of the pancake until light brown.
When it’s done, loosen the edge of the crepe with a rubber spatula and serve immediately.
Sweet Crepes Vs Savory Galettes
Sweet crepe recipe calls for all-purpose flour, milk, sugar and water to make the batter.
The fillings are always sweet. They are more like a dessert or a sweet snack.
Traditional savory galettes uses buckwheat flour, salt and water as the batter ingredients. As a result, they are brownish in color. They are eaten as a meal.
Sweet crepes are pretty much a dessert with the following fillings:
- Ice cream
- Fruits such as strawberries, raspberries and bananas
- Whipped cream
For savory pancakes or galettes, the fillings can be any of the following or more:
- Cheese, usually gruyère or comté
- Fried eggs
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Vegetables such as spinach or tomatoes
Frequently Asked Questions
What Pan to Use for Homemade Crepes?
Traditionally, crepes are made with a big flat crepe pan, a wooden spreader and a turning paddle.
For make this crepe recipe, you can buy an electric crepe maker on Amazon but you can use a 12-inch non-stick or cast-iron skillet or pan.
If you use cast-iron skillet, make sure that it’s well seasoned.
How Do You Serve Crepes?
I like serving the pancakes with berries, powdered sugar and maple syrup.
You can also serve them with melted butter and powdered sugar, which is the most classic way of eating and serving crepes.
You may add also add whipped cream, chocolate sauce, salted caramel sauce as toppings.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 118 calories per serving.
What to Serve with This Recipe?
Serve this dish with other French delicacies. For a French meal at home, I recommend the following recipes.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- In a blender, combine the flour, sugar, salt, milk, eggs, and butter. If you don't have a blender, mix everything together using a whisk.
- Puree until the mixture is smooth and bubbles form on top, about 30 seconds.
- Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet or pan over medium. Lightly coat with butter. Add 1/3 cup batter and swirl to completely cover bottom of skillet, the crepe should be about 8-inch in diameter.
- Cook until underside of crepe is golden brown and the edges turn crispy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Loosen the edge of crepe with a rubber spatula and quickly flip it over. Cook for 1 minute. Slide crepe out of skillet and repeat with remaining batter. (Coat pan with butter as needed.)
- Fold the crepes over, serve immediately with powdered sugar, maple syrup, Nutella or chocolate sauce. Add berries of your choice, if you like.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.